1st Rabbit with .22 HW 45

Chavy

The deer dispatched by myself with the pellets in the face was dispatched using my .308 at 40 yards next to a feeder in the wood not too far from a local village we have had problems with two youths with air guns on this land in the past obviously they had shot it a number of times over over a weekend .I expect the first pellets damaged its eye and thats why it was around the feeder when I found it not a nice sight and no animal should suffer like this :no: :no:

Deershooter

That's a real shame.

There are some real scum bags going around with air rifles these days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what you're saying but a pistol isn't as accurate as a rifle and with such a loopy trajectory you have to be spot on in range finding, the difference in poi from 25 to 30 is around 1.5" so with such low power you have no room for error.

I see your point about what should and should not be put on a public forum but I don't really agree as I think we, as shooters, have a duty to show that we are ethical and diligent in what we do and that we won't turn a blind eye to bad practices.

ATB leave the lad alone he knows what he has done,anyway he was shooting at a crow and it was the drop that got the rabbit looky ------.

Find someone local to show you the ropes and learn how to shoot properly with an air weapon. Do some research into the law as well, maybe the next time you post you'll get a :good:

Mistakes are made to learn from,

ATB,

Lee

A very down to earth post with the right information. Well done :good:

This young lad needs educating, and what better way than for someone local to offer to help out and teach him. He Obviously has land to shoot and if he were to sell the HW45 he may have enough to fund a hunting set up. The HW 45 Should fetch about £150 in good nick so thats a Stoeger x20 springer kind of price. May even get a second hand TX200 or HW77 if he is lucky. The lad will get nowhere if people keep throwing negative comments reguardless of how justified they are. He needs direction and good advice.

one deer had 6 airgun pellets in its face

Dont find any "unbelieveablility" in this at all. I did some work on an estate once with a gamekeeper who told me stories like this, i didnt know if he was over exaggerateing and it was people just shooting rabbits from the roadside. However on the last day i spent the morning with him butchering a deer and we found one lodged in its side.

On the first post, yes it was a mistake, and im sure he has learnt from it. There are allot of nice people and allot of very interesting and knowledgeable people on these forums, stick around and you might learn something!

When I read posts like this I find it hard to decide whther it's real or a wind up. But then I think back to when I had my first air pistol - a Webley Nemesis... And I killed Rabbits, Squirrels, Pigeons and god knows what else with that! I even shot a few Mallards and took them home to cook. I was in my early days of secondary school so what, 14 years old? I was keen but daft. :blush:

When you start up it's too easy to assume that things like this are ok. Now the lad is here lets help him rather than stone him for what he's done. I'm sure he didn't mean any sufferring to the Rabbit and his inexperience played a big part in his decision.

Get yourself down to your local RFD and get a sensible air rifle setup with a scope. You should be able to get something to do the job for what you'll get for your HW second hand. Shoot some targets and get to know the kit then get out hunting. It's a lot of fun when you do things properly. :good: