Essex Masters

twitchynik

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I shot it on Wednesday, was out early on squad 3, Digweed was on squad 1, weather was perfect to start with, bright & sunny with no wind.

We started on the Red course, I had a good squad, including an old England team mate Sean Bramley, (a past winner here), and a guy from Holland who'd never shot in the UK before.

Stand 1 was no gimme, 5 tricky simmo pairs of dropping, quartering incomers, orange from right and white from left, over the pond. I was very pleased to straight that one, in fact after 5 stands I was only one away, but then I lost it a bit and dropped the odd one or two on stands that I should have straighted.

The final stand 12 was another awkward pair, a long R/L battue, with a midi L/R crossing & quartering away. I heard that Diggy dropped 3 here, so did I, to finish on an 89.

A fleet of brand new Land Rovers were there to ferry shooters back to the start point, a nice touch, and as far as I could see, none of them broke down. :oops:

We had a 40 minute break for lunch, the burger van has now gone and the catering is now being run from the farmhouse by the ground owners family. Let's hope they don't get overwhelmed by the crowds at the weekend. :hmm:

Stand 1 on the Black course was relatively easy, 5 pairs of simmo incoming crows, no problem here, (although I managed to miss one :blush: ), stand 3 was also tricky with a fast R/L longish crosser and a fast midi Teal straight away on report. I heard that Diggy missed all 4 Teal, quite extraordinary as, having missed one, like all good shots he will always re-focus and do something a bit different on the next pair to make sure he doesn't miss again.

Stand 4 was also tricky, with a relatively easy lowish orange standard going away from R/L across the lake, followed by a very long but slow L/R looper standard off the tower behind the wood. I watched the squad in front shoot it and could see that they were all missing it miles in front, I reckoned it only need about 3 or 4 feet lead, so that's what I gave it and killed the first two pairs nicely, but missed the last 2 loopers, so 6 ex 8 on that one, it could have been a lot worse..!!

I couldn't quite hold it together over the black course, no excuses, just didn't hit 'em, so finished on an 85, total 174.

Diggy did a 95 + 92, total 187, but in my opinion the winning score will be a 192 plus, (my money's on young Ed :yes: ).

As usual, a well run event, I spoke to Neville Jay of Essex Gun about how the entries were holding up in view of the current economic climate, he reckons this years event will be the biggest ever, with over 1100 entries currently booked in.

Let's hope the weather stays kind, forecast not too bad..?

Good luck to all PW members who are making the effort to attend, you'll enjoy it. :good:

Cat.

Good shooting Cat, and a great report :good:

I'll be going tomorrow, bright and early, with Anni, Timps, Canthitathing and Azzurri and his mate :rolleyes:

Looking forward to it, in spite of the company <_<

Paulos was coming too, but he's bottled it because he's a mincer...... :P