bond between man and dog

cockercas

This is probably a weird one but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. How strong a bond do you have with your dog?. Just seen in another members sig about a dog been loyal to its last hart beat.

My dog (cas) is probably my best friend, I generally don't get on with people (people are idiots).

Now one thing the dog dosent do is lick my face. But If I have and ice cream I shear it with the dog, one lick for me one lick for cas until we get to cone (cas gets that I don't like them) I shear my tea with her, I spend £££s on her, if you ask the gf I love the dog more than the kids, I'll hold a dog biscuit between my lips and cas will gently take the biscuit, I can even feed her from the inside of my mouth. She has a bite of my sandwich if were out. And I mean a bite not a bit chucked on the floor.

Any one else do anything else like this? I'm guessing not. I grew up with the old man doing similar with his labs.

I hate licking tho. I was walking her once thru the village ( not something I do often) and some old woman stopped to let cas lick her all over her face. Eww

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably a weird one but I'm going to throw it out there anyway. How strong a bond do you have with your dog?. Just seen in another members sig about a dog been loyal to its last hart beat.

My dog (cas) is probably my best friend, I generally don't get on with people (people are idiots).

Now one thing the dog dosent do is lick my face. But If I have and ice cream I shear it with the dog, one lick for me one lick for cas until we get to cone (cas gets that I don't like them) I shear my tea with her, I spend £££s on her, if you ask the gf I love the dog more than the kids, I'll hold a dog biscuit between my lips and cas will gently take the biscuit, I can even feed her from the inside of my mouth. She has a bite of my sandwich if were out. And I mean a bite not a bit chucked on the floor.

Any one else do anything else like this? I'm guessing not. I grew up with the old man doing similar with his labs.

I hate licking tho. I was walking her once thru the village ( not something I do often) and some old woman stopped to let cas lick her all over her face. Eww

Had dogs for 40 years and am very close to them ,i also prefer their company to most people i,ve met ,but i dont want anything near my face or mouth that thinks nothing of licking its own ****!

Edited by gedney

I love my dog more than most people but I would not give him food from the table, let him lick anyone or sleep anywhere other than in his crate at night. He does not go upstairs in the house and does not get on the furniture.

Would I share an ice cream with a dog who licks his ****? I think not!

Harry

My cocker is only 18 months so I'm still building a bond with her, and she is still learning what it is I want her to do. When we get to the point where I don't have to give her commands all the time and she can read my body language, and I can read hers, then I think the bond will be set for life.

My dog is a lovely, sweet natured and fun dog, she lives in the house and is a family pet too but she will always come after the wife and kids. She is always around and comes to work with me often but has her own food, bed and toys and she won't go upstairs, on the couch or anywhere we are eating.

Also I wouldn't let her lick anything I'm eating as I don't much fancy taking Drontal myself.

What a disturbing post !.

I have a strong bond with my 11 month old collie, he is definitely my dog and he already picks up on my body language and a rarely have to command him when in the house or garden. I got to be honest he aint the best trained dog in the world which is my fault as cocked it up a bit as a puppy but we are working on it. My 14 week old springer is the same she watches everything i do and is very attentive.

Both my dogs live in the house and they are part of the family, they are allowed in all the rooms on the sofa etc but they both know they are bottom of the pack and do not pester when eating or expect any attention from us.

As for the OPs post, each to their own and if your happy then do what you want to. I wouldn't personally do it as have watched both my dogs eat horse ****.

I have had dogs all my life, to start with , pets when as a kid was living with my parents and later working dogs of my own.I must say I consider myself a dog lover,yet I can not think that any sane person would share food out of a dogs mouth.I would have thought that you can bond with your dog,without going to these lengths which your dog A does not expect and B will not understand.

Purely because you asked, I will tell you that it turns my stomach and can think of few things more gross than that.

Not that I don't like dogs or owt.

Thirded :yes: . We always had cats and the odd house dog when we were growing up and I'm embarrassed to admit we all used to kiss the side of the cat's faces and even now I have to hold myself back from picking up other peoples small dogs and cuddle and goochigoo them :lol: :lol: . Having said all that I find it odd when people mention they like animals more than people :no: , are you sure you've given them a fair chance? ;) ;)

Sharing food, and feeding from your mouth is a little bit far in my opinion. When you watch your dog eat decaying rats, ****, lick it's self etc, does that not put you off having it take food from your mouth and licking your ice cream before you then lick it?

I can certainly understand, and even perhaps agree with preferring dogs to people, they don't lie, are always happy to see you, you know what they want and they are great.

I love my dog more than most people but I would not give him food from the table, let him lick anyone or sleep anywhere other than in his crate at night. He does not go upstairs in the house and does not get on the furniture.

Would I share an ice cream with a dog who licks his a$$? I think not!

Harry

Completely agree with 90% of what you've written, only difference is my dogs have the run of the house, but the bedroom doors are kept shut, and they have their own bean bag beds rather than crates.

Cockercas, you say you let your dog take food from inside your mouth, but won't let it lick your face, where the Hell's the difference? It's still dog snout/spit around your mouth :sick: . You share food therefore you share saliva, only difference is that you are DEFINITELY ingesting it rather than hopefully wiping it off. I don't even let my dogs lick my face I should add and if they get any of my food it's in their bowl or possibly from my hand...which I will wash before eating. Sorry mate, but that's just a bit too close a relationship with your dog IMO.

my dog dosent eat rats, infact it dosent eat anything off the floor. i hate licking dogs. just dont like it when they just wander over and start slobbering on your hand,btw the dog taking food out of the mouth isn't regular thing but shearing food is. oh and i might be onto something, i never get ill (except my gaul bladder and back)

Purely because you asked, I will tell you that it turns my stomach and can think of few things more gross than that.

Not that I don't like dogs or owt.

I quite agree! I love my dogs dearly, but human food is for humans :good: and I refuse to share dog saliva, thats just disgusting

Edited by WelshLamb

Dogs in my family are considered "full members" of the family, They are given proper human names.( no fido's )and my current dog even has been given the affectation of a middle name.

My dog sleeps on my bed(under the covers if its cold) and is senior in the "family pack" to my lodger(friend of mine since childhood) and my stepfather (who was with my mother for 20 years !)

However I wouldn't share food with my dog in the manner the OP is suggesting, mind you if i had children I wouldn't share food in that manner with them either!

I to love my dogs as dose my mrs and admittidly we treat them as our kids really. They are only allowed upstairs on a weekend when we have a lie in, they eat there food from there bowls and only when told to, out beating i do feed Bryn a bit of butty crust (not thown on the floor,he has to sit and take it nicely though), the dogs have they own bed in the house near a radiator and quite offen at night they get a quick fuss and a kiss on the top of the head as we say good night !

We dont feed them from our mouths though and dont share buttys at the same time, the dogs get a bit torn off for them if out shooting as a treat for doing a good job. Yes they do lick but i belive thats a way dogs show affection although i dont encourage it on the face ! :good:

Intersestingly Dog bites nearly always become infected and as such its recomended that they are not stiched if possible to prevent sealing in infection when treating human victims, I am informed by someone who knows more than myself however that human bites are far worse in this regards :yes: Think about that one

Cockercas- you still turn my guts over ! Do i put dogs over people generally? No! do i put my dogs over my kids? Not even able to consider that one its such a stupid thought