Last Day of the Season at Powis Castle

Duffryn

My last day at Powis Castle turned out to be a real corker ! The weather was spot on and there were stacks of birds and lots of shooting. Thanks to the advice kindly given by a couple on this forum I changed my shooting style, allowed a lot more lead and managed to swing through the shots most of the time. It made a big difference and whilst my shooting was far from perfect it made the difference between a day of frustration and a great end to the season.There were so many birds that i didn't have time to follow each shot with the camera, for once I hit more than it looks. I’ve tried to show a bit more of the day in this video. Hope you all like it.

All is I can say is WOW!

Lunch obviously agreed with you as your marksmanship at the fourth drive was fantastic - maybe it was the video but it looked a couple of times as if you gave a second barrel to a bird that you had well shot with the first?

Anyway, you must be delighted that all came good at the end of the season as must Rob!

I had a bonus driven day yesterday after a phone call on Sunday evening from a friend whose beaters' day on Saturday had revealed that there were still plenty of birds on the ground - both woodcock 11 & dog had their moments!

Then a final walk around today which produced a good number of duck [required by my wife for the freezer!] and around 20 cock pheasants. A good number of woodcock seen but most were not shootable.

Just six of us out for a walk-up so very informal and bitterly cold - that is it for the end of an excellent season as we don't shoot on 1 February in Northern Ireland.

Thanks again a million times for sharing your highs & the odd low with us!

All is I can say is WOW!

Lunch obviously agreed with you as your marksmanship at the fourth drive was fantastic - maybe it was the video but it looked a couple of times as if you gave a second barrel to a bird that you had well shot with the first?

Anyway, you must be delighted that all came good at the end of the season as must Rob!

I had a bonus driven day yesterday after a phone call on Sunday evening from a friend whose beaters' day on Saturday had revealed that there were still plenty of birds on the ground - both woodcock 11 & dog had their moments!

Then a final walk around today which produced a good number of duck [required by my wife for the freezer!] and around 20 cock pheasants. A good number of woodcock seen but most were not shootable.

Just six of us out for a walk-up so very informal and bitterly cold - that is it for the end of an excellent season as we don't shoot on 1 February in Northern Ireland.

Thanks again a million times for sharing your highs & the odd low with us!

Thanks. I think I was so used to missing that I did shoot a couple of birds twice. Your walked up day sounds great - those are the days I enjoy most - sounds like you had a really good bag as well

The best one yet and some of the very best to watch out there. You must be very happy with how the season went, shooting wise and dog wise, Rob is a star! Having watched them all and realy starting to get back into the whole shotgun thing you could see a nice swing through on your shooting style, something I am having to work on! Lol. A great end to the season!!

atvb Paul.

Fantastic bit of filming take my hat off to you mate.Lovely birds over the gun well done to the beaters also :good: For me as a dog person it's the dog bits that i enjoy most nice working dog good speedy retrieves. :good: Who took over the shoot after John Ransford past away,was it gwyn who was keeper for him at vainor. :hmm: Do you see much of Peter Shaw good dogs and keeper. :good:

Fantastic bit of filming take my hat off to you mate.Lovely birds over the gun well done to the beaters also :good: For me as a dog person it's the dog bits that i enjoy most nice working dog good speedy retrieves. :good: Who took over the shoot after John Ransford past away,was it gwyn who was keeper for him at vainor. :hmm: Do you see much of Peter Shaw good dogs and keeper. :good:

Thanks ! I've only been at Powis for a year so don't know the history. Peter Shaw operates and runs the shoot ( does a great job) and Kevin Wright is the head keeper ( again a top bloke)

fantastic video fella and your dog is stunning it looks a fantastic place to shoot how much is a season on there if you don't mind me asking not cheep by the standard of motors there ?

The shoots I am on cost between £30 and £35 a bird. Shooting isn't cheap but its the one thing I really enjoy (dont send money on anything else for myself) so I can more or less justify the cost.

Thanks ! I've only been at Powis for a year so don't know the history. Peter Shaw operates and runs the shoot ( does a great job) and Kevin Wright is the head keeper ( again a top bloke)

Hi Yes Peter nice guy.He you'st to be at Leamore if that's how it's spelt,still under Powys Castle though.

An old scotsman if i remember Jim Dennisson was at Powys then. :hmm:

Peter still got his cockers :hmm: He's bred some good one's think a couple of FTCH dogs,I think he bred FTCH Kigaroo Minnie not sure though old brain not that good these days. :lol: :lol: Terry

Excellent quality video,it really showed off the countryside and area and doing the extra bits was a good touch.

You certainly dropped some nice birds and there was a good number showing.

I was always told two things when I first started facing driven birds, firstly you can't give them too much lead and secondly, try to drop them in front of you (take them as early as possible). :)

Excellent quality video,it really showed off the countryside and area and doing the extra bits was a good touch.

You certainly dropped some nice birds and there was a good number showing.

It was always told two things when I first started facing driven birds, firstly you can't give them too much lead and secondly, try to drop them in front of you (take them as early as possible). :)

Good advice ! On some of the drives when the beaters are on a hill in front of you (eg drive 1) and the birds flying fast it's hard to get the timming right between blue sky and safety. Hopefully as I get more experienced my reactions will be quicker. Thanks too for the advice after my last shoot - I followed it and it made this one so much more enoyable

Edited by Duffryn