chady

Semi Auto or O/U  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Semi Auto or O/U

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only shoot clays and I use both. If I had to really have one gun, I think it would be the o/u. I love the semi for the lightness, less ache over 100's of shots, but for shorter work, especially Skeet, I like the o/u (+ I don't have to get the magnet stick out and pick up the empties with the o/u ! :good: )

So if they have an incident with an O/U too are they just going to throw the shot at the claybirds :hmm::lol:

Once they have banned semis and ou it could be quite different with sbs and single shot guns only just hope they don't have an accident with a bolt action as well not seen one at a clay shoot

Edited by welshwarrior

The only thing I can think of is the extra shot.

I can understand the sport is set around two shots. Then some one brings out a gun with 3 shots I can see that a bit unfair but I would only use two if I got one.

Is that what other people do or do they use the 3rd shot as well

My understanding is most clay grounds will only allow 2 cartridges to be put in a 3 shot auto.

I voted o/u as thats what i mainly use and get on with better.

Use the auto on the marsh as its cheap and cheerfull.

If you get a chance to try both out and see which suits you best.

I also have an O/U and two semis. As an older shooter I prefer the easier handling and lower recoil of a semi.

For the O/U purists, I must agree the double barrelled gun 'feels' a bit more precise, probably because of the extra forward weight.

I guess the anti-semi sentiments have more to do with shell cases than people loading more than two rounds. Quite easy to ensure

these go in the bin with an O/U, once you get the hang of stalling them from the ejector. Not so easy if cases from your semi finish

in a bramble bush.

With a bit of ingenuity it would not be that difficult for grounds to have some capture netting around the stands. Though I would guess

most of the 'no semis allowed' come from 28 day rule shoots in the corner of some farmers field. I have not experienced such a ruling

on large established grounds. Be interested to learn if people have experience to the contrary.

I to voted for semi auto. As a matter of fact i own two semis the beretta al391 teknys sporter which is almost as heavy as an O/U which is perfect for clays and also the beretta ulrika al391game which is perfect for shooting pigeons from a hide. I also own an Zoli O/U which i have only used twice in the past year on driven game as semi's are not allowed. I would prefer to use a semi on driven game, but as it is a big no no in this country, i respect that when in Rome do what the Romans do.

As i am of continental origion, Malta, i have grew up with my late dad always shooting beretta semi's and my dad has owned all of the 300 series from the start in the mid 60's i believe. Most countries in europe tend to prefer semi auto guns to shoot anything even game and there is no snobbery towards it. As for safety a country like cyprus , malta, greece etc i can't say that more accidents happen because more semi autos are in use. At the end of the day i have seen some really scary stuff from both autos and o/u users. I can also mention that since living in the UK for past 23 years using semi autos at various clay clubs i have never been refused to shoot. If i was refused to shoot a semi auto at a clay shoot, i will take my business somewhere else.

So go ahead and buy a semi auto if you want one as long you remember that when out clay shooting you never load more than two cartridges, unless offcourse you go to the Benelli semi auto shoot around May time where full use is allowed.

Regards

Maltese Falcon.

Well this is going well 50%......

Can't you all club together and say one Is rubish lol.

Oh well good job going show at end of month got a big range of guns to chose from lol

Had you asked if any particular make (esp. semi-auto) is rubbish you could have re-awakened the usual controversy! (LOL)

They have signs up saying NO SEMI AUTOS TO BE USED , im not naming my local clubs on a open forum who wont let you use them , but thers a few on here who i know and shoot with who also know what grounds im talking about , so all im saying if you buy a semi auto not ALL grounds let you shoot with them

And that's why I'm suspicious.

IF they openly advertise that they don't allow any Semi's .... why cant you name them on an open forum, your not protecting them from anything they aren't already declaring themselves? ... They've got nothing to hide, unless they do actually allow semi's ... go on you know you want to fess up.

And that's why I'm suspicious.

IF they openly advertise that they don't allow any Semi's .... why cant you name them on an open forum, your not protecting them from anything they aren't already declaring themselves? ... They've got nothing to hide, unless they do actually allow semi's ... go on you know you want to fess up.

Because im not dragging a brilliant club through the dirt just because they wont allow semi autos anymore and you want to know who it is , As you have already said you wont shoot there because you cant use your semi auto , i shot there this morning and a guy was moaning because he couldnt use his semi auto and said he shoots better with it than his o/u . A well known member said very politely he dosent have to shoot there if he dosent want to , so he stayed and shot with the o/u and acheived a very good score :good:

I had a beretta semi was ok with it to start but it didn't like my home loads and I got fed up picking up spent carts I only shoot at a small club where its polite to pick them up. My scores went right down because of home loads and now Ive got a 686e black I should all being well go up a group.

Because im not dragging a brilliant club through the dirt just because they wont allow semi autos anymore and you want to know who it is , As you have already said you wont shoot there because you cant use your semi auto , i shot there this morning and a guy was moaning because he couldnt use his semi auto and said he shoots better with it than his o/u . A well known member said very politely he dosent have to shoot there if he dosent want to , so he stayed and shot with the o/u and acheived a very good score :good:

A brilliant club :hmm: Sounds more like a load of self righteous ***** to me :sly:

If they actually exist obviously ;)

Hate to call you full of **** because you might be a nice guy ... Or you might be a pompous stuck up ****, who am I to decide.

But wouldnt you be doing this BRILLIANT club a favour by advertising it? ... Then all other semi haters could go there as well and be protected from us scum?

I love the way you have to protect the club, they must be really good if they have to have members not spread the news about them being so good.

Im all for FORCING semi owners onsite with only a flag in the breach ... or make members sign up to having 2 shells at a time in only....

Like most i.ve owned a few guns,but i alway end up selling any O/U I buy as i keep going back to my Auto,just sold my Zoli Kronus yesterday,I personally have never known a ground to ban auto's or frown on them and if they did then they are not worth bothering with as a venue. I don't do pheasant shooting so i don't need an O/U for that and i can load easier in a hide and low recoil on long clay cards.but it's all in your preferance.i think most who go to Auto's generally stick with them by and large.

Just read all the stuff about autos at clubs,.This is what I do,when I shoot my auto,only ever put 2 at a time,i can't think why i'd put 3 in for a 2 bird stand,but if i can't find my carts i always pick up 10,they are usually lying around my feet from where obnoxious O/U shooters eject their carts over their shoulders or anywhere for that matter.they can be the worse for not picking up carts

Edited by retromlc