Warreners Pie!

Frenchieboy

I wanted to try something different with a couple of rabbits that I shot so I came up with this idea, and I can tell you it's not only very filling but it tastes great too!

I used two rabbits to create enough to feed 4 people with large appetites so if you want you can cut this back to just one rabbit to feed two people.

Skin, gut and rinse the rabbit(s) but leave them whole.

Place them in a large sausepan and add half a bottle of white wine, 1 large chopped onion, a sprinkle of mixed herbs, half a pint of chicken stock (Or half a pint of water with a chicken stock cube) and a sprinkle of salt and black pepper.

Bring to the boil and then simmer till the meat starts to fall off the bone.

Strip the meat from the bones and put it in a mixing bowl with the liquids that it cooked in.

Peel the root vegetables - You can use whatever vegetables that you enjoy eating - I used carrots, sweede, a large parsnip and a few turnips. Chop the veg into "chunky" pieces, put in a large sausepan, cover with water and a sprinkle of salt and bring to the boil. Simmer until the veg is cooked but still a little crunchy and add a large handfull of frozen peas. Leave for a few minutes while the peas thaw and then strain and put by with the bowl of meat.

Peel, cook and mash some potatoes - Enough to cover whatever size of pie dish you want to use with about the same depth of mashed potato that you would with a shepherds pie.

Get a deep pie dish (I used 2 x 10 inch diameter by 4 inch deep dishes as I wanted to make 2 pies) and start by filling the bottom third with the chunky cooked vegetables.

Next cover the layer of vegetables with about the same amount of cooked rabbit meat and add the juice that the rabbit was cooked in.

Then carefully cover this layer with the mashed potato and work it level with a fork. Your Warreners Pie is now ready to be heated up in a hot oven. Serve piping hot with crusty bread and butter.

Eat and enjoy!

post-17172-0-33110300-1328641767.jpg

post-17172-0-55518500-1328641778.jpg

post-17172-0-88618500-1328641788.jpg

post-17172-0-30295200-1328641800.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmm well done frenchie that looks lovely mate! :good::good:

Nice to see nothing wasted to! :good:

Waste not want not - I would rather that than kill just for the sake of killing, I don't like seeing good food going to waste!

I can assure you that it tastes just as good and more than it looks in the photo! :yes:

Waste not want not - I would rather that than kill just for the sake of killing, I don't like seeing good food going to waste!

I can assure you that it tastes just as good and more than it looks in the photo! :yes:

Good man me too....unlike some members on here!(no names I'm sure you've met them)

I'm am jealous its making me hungry looking at it...and ibe just eaten.