Gaining in confidence.

Frenchieboy

Whenever I get a different gun I like to spend a bit of time getting used to it and gaining confidence in my capabilities with it. I managed to get a bit of a slot free after taking the wife shopping this afternoon so I went for a walk with the new 22WMR but as the sky was clouding over and the temperature was rapidly dropping I didn't hold much hope of seeing any rabbits. After about 45 minutes of walking without seeing a single rabbit I decided to head back to the farm and knock it on the head. I was only a couple of hunderd yards from the farm when I spotted a rabbit hightailing it to it's warren. The warren was close on to 150 yards from where I was and the rabbit stopped at the mouth of the hole. As I had only fired this rifle at live quarry for the first time yesterday I was a bit wary of taking on this shot at this range but decided to "go for it" regardless in the hope that it would be either a kill or more likely a clean miss! I kneeled down and rested the rifle on the wheel of a muck spreader and aimed straight at the rabbit's head, exhaled and squeezed the trigger. I was expecting to see the rabbit stick two fingers up at me and disappear down the hole but instead it leaped up in the air and crashed to the ground twitching. On pacing the distance out it came to 147 reasonable sized paces and on inspection of the rabbit the bullet entered through the back of the head and exited through the nose and mouth, the expansion of the bullet making the eyes bulge out!

I know that one rabbit does not make for much excitement but this shot has given me no end on confidence in the 22WMR rifle and it's capabilities. Just as yesterday I was using the CCI 40g ammunition - I will get round to testing the Hornady 30g and putting a few photos up to show the difference!

post-17172-0-59779500-1328645895.jpg

Edited by Frenchieboy

How do you do that then with a 100yds zero? Did a read it right "aimed staight for the head" don't you mean held over the head ?

If you aim for the top of the head then you have a small allowance for the bullet drop and can still perform a head shot!

You are making me a believer in the .22 mag Pete, there are some who shoot called coyotes with the 10/22 in .22 mag as they have follow up shots if needed. The accuracy and your ability are impressive!!

Thank you for the compliment Timothy. I like to shoot just about every day that I can (weather permitting) and I regularly work on improving my shooting abilities. I frequently spend Sunday mornings with members of our gun club in a quarry where I have permission. In this quarry we can shoot out to about 300 yards plus with perfectly safe backstops and we regularly shoot hens eggs at 200 yards (Measured with a laser range finder) with a variety of calibres including the humble 17HMR and my .243! This sort of "marksmanship" is always witnessed by other club members.

In my opinion good marksmanship is down to (Amingst other things) controlling your breathing and heart rate, knowing your rifles and ammunition and lots of regular practice.

If you aim for the top of the head then you have a small allowance for the bullet drop and can still perform a head shot!

still a lot flatter than i expected, your talking an inch or less here? from a 100 zero? i have been told many times that WMR will do things the tables do not speak of but admit i am totally amazed yours will shoot that flat a trajectory. Not a gun i have ever played with much mind you

I like mine and I also believe it out shoots what the tables seem to say...mine is not all that great a set up for being accurate as its a win 94 underlever with a relatively short barrell but it shoot a 1/2 - 3/4" consistent group at 80ish yards and that's in anyone's hands....

Cracking round with a fair bit of thump!

739cc537.jpg

I like mine and I also believe it out shoots what the tables seem to say...mine is not all that great a set up for being accurate as its a win 94 underlever with a relatively short barrell but it shoot a 1/2 - 3/4" consistent group at 80ish yards and that's in anyone's hands....

Cracking round with a fair bit of thump!

739cc537.jpg

That apeals to me - perhaps its all those john wayne movies i watched ;)

Have to say that was the reason i bought it, I got some stick from a few friends when I bought it but all of them have had a play with it :lol: and it is a beautifully put together little rifle, it is tiny but feels solid.

But friggen loud! :oops:

Regards,

Gixer

still a lot flatter than i expected, your talking an inch or less here? from a 100 zero? i have been told many times that WMR will do things the tables do not speak of but admit i am totally amazed yours will shoot that flat a trajectory. Not a gun i have ever played with much mind you

I suspect Frenchie subconsciously holds over more than he realises, I guess if you shoot that much it becomes second nature.

Me too, I have a couple of lever action air rifles and they're a joy to use. The Winchester 94 is tiny, but so easy to shoulder. In WMR I'd be tempted to have open sights as a rifle I could carry around whilst working on the field in case a rabbit or hare popped up unexpectedly.

Me too, I have a couple of lever action air rifles and they're a joy to use. The Winchester 94 is tiny, but so easy to shoulder. In WMR I'd be tempted to have open sights as a rifle I could carry around whilst working on the field in case a rabbit or hare popped up unexpectedly.

I wanted it left as open sights but to be honest they are pretty vague with open sights...25-50 yards maybe but anything over that and it's a bit of a guess...

Regards,

Gixer

I wanted it left as open sights but to be honest they are pretty vague with open sights...25-50 yards maybe but anything over that and it's a bit of a guess...

Regards,

Gixer

Point taken, although I love that style with open sights perhaps a low mag scope would be more useful.