New puppy

Hamster

Right, after several weeks of intelligence tests, multiple choice, written and interviews :lol: , breeder has allowed me to part with a grands worth for our Norfolk Terrier :) . It should be due within 3 weeks, my question is what absolute basics should I purchase before hand. Also I intend to buy a small collapsible wire cage to use as his base in the house and use same when taking him out in the car etc, is this doable or should he have a car specific one? Many thanks.

A Grand? Wow

We got our Border Terrier a year ago, and our basisc included a hard plastic bed, fleece blanket, food and water bowls. Check with the breeder about current food type and get some in. Within a few days we'd also bought a cage from Pets at home (medium) as she didnt settle at night. Collars, name tags and a lead at 12 weeks.

We replaced the hard bed with a soft one like this once she was past teething.

Have fun, and mind your shoe laces!!

A Grand? Wow

We got our Border Terrier a year ago, and our basisc included a hard plastic bed, fleece blanket, food and water bowls. Check with the breeder about current food type and get some in. Within a few days we'd also bought a cage from Pets at home (medium) as she didnt settle at night. Collars, name tags and a lead at 12 weeks.

We replaced the hard bed with a soft one like this once she was past teething.

Have fun, and mind your shoe laces!!

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, the Norfolk is very hard to get and believe me they don't even bat an eye lid when they tell you the price. They go for a bit over half that without papers and I've seen the odd one at £1250!! I am going through an Assured Breeder as didn't want to take the gamble of ending up with a 3/4 job as they can be impossible to tell apart especially when at the puppy stage. The Norfolk is not that far off the Border, a bit more compact and hairy and less leggy.

Do you use the wire crate to carry him in the car?

get him some puppy chews / toys for playing and teething, when he gets hold of something he isnt supposed to have

you can swop it with one of his own toys/teethers.

good luck with the first few nights.

gonna stick my neck out and say.... i find it easier to have the cage close by i.e in bedroom with me. and move them to their permanent sleeping place over time. i also get up and put the pup out for tiddles if they wake and make a noise in the night. disturbs sleep but i cant stand to face it in the morning. :no:

let us know what you name him

jan

We got a crate from argos and use it in the car when necessary as well, they are supplied with a soft matt which we wrapped in a towel for extra comfort and also easy to clean should the worse happen. If your gonna crate train get the crate before the dog so the first night home he goes in it. Necessities are food and water bowls, lead and collar (worth putting the collar on quite early on before he starts going out), chew toys, spare towels in case he does do anything in the crate, squeeky toys they love and gets there attention.

I agree with jan about having the crate near you and then moving it to its place slowly, my collie was fine being in the crate downstairs but my springer was terrible at night and we had major problems but we sorted that by having crate in the bedroom then moving it to the landing then eventually downstairs over a matter of 2 or 3 weeks but now its all good and she just relaxes and falls asleep in it.

Right, after several weeks of intelligence tests, multiple choice, written and interviews :lol: , breeder has allowed me to part with a grands worth for our Norfolk Terrier :) . It should be due within 3 weeks, my question is what absolute basics should I purchase before hand. Also I intend to buy a small collapsible wire cage to use as his base in the house and use same when taking him out in the car etc, is this doable or should he have a car specific one? Many thanks.

grief, thats a lot of dosh per pound

We got a crate from argos and use it in the car when necessary as well, they are supplied with a soft matt which we wrapped in a towel for extra comfort and also easy to clean should the worse happen. If your gonna crate train get the crate before the dog so the first night home he goes in it. Necessities are food and water bowls, lead and collar (worth putting the collar on quite early on before he starts going out), chew toys, spare towels in case he does do anything in the crate, squeeky toys they love and gets there attention.

I agree with jan about having the crate near you and then moving it to its place slowly, my collie was fine being in the crate downstairs but my springer was terrible at night and we had major problems but we sorted that by having crate in the bedroom then moving it to the landing then eventually downstairs over a matter of 2 or 3 weeks but now its all good and she just relaxes and falls asleep in it.

Thanks for that, I was kind of planning to avoid having anything squeaky in his toy department, just reasoning that he'd learn to bite harder and harder with all that noise. It'd be very hard teaching him to retrieve rabbit and pigeon then :lol: :lol: :lol: .