Englishman in Germany

Hubertus

Looks as though one of these drives takes alot of organising, how many guns and beaters is there normally?

Hi gibby,

that depends. I think on that day there were round about 60 hunter. Its really a lot of organising. But also a really nice event. I love these driven days :rolleyes:

Hubertus

I also go every year to these driven shoots in Germany. Mostly you shoot the wild boar while it's on the move. Normally they tend to have a speed that's between running and walking. So you'll have to be an ok and confident shooter. But with some practice it's not too difficult. Red deer and roedeer are shot while they are standing still. Wild boar can be shot on the move with a rifle.

Other stuff to think about is the position of the other hunters, dogs, other game, what to shoot etc... Safety first ! :angry:

Fantastic Pics Hubertus......could you answer a question for me?...........are the boar shot while on the run.... with rifles?.....it must take some ******* good shooting to hit one if they are!!

P03

It depends. On big driven days they quite often stop to hear and smell for danger during their running or they get slower. It depends a lot of the experience of the organizer of the hunt to choose the right places where to set up the guns.

Hubertus

I also go every year to these driven shoots in Germany. Mostly you shoot the wild boar while it's on the move. Normally they tend to have a speed that's between running and walking. So you'll have to be an ok and confident shooter. But with some practice it's not too difficult. Red deer and roedeer are shot while they are standing still. Wild boar can be shot on the move with a rifle.

Other stuff to think about is the position of the other hunters, dogs, other game, what to shoot etc... Safety first ! :)

Its totally true what you are saying HH.

The reason why you can shoot boar while running: they move very straight and the movement is not like deer (jumping). So if you have the right speed with your rifle you have clean kills. For roe or fallow its more or only luck if they are really running because they jump up and down. You cant time the right moment to shoot because its so quick. Thats the reason why you shouldnt shoot on a driven day (fast) running deer.

Slower walking deer walk straight. Its called Troll in German that movement. Dont know an egnlish word but its like the trot of a horse. Then it is possible to shoot them (but many hunt master dont like it if you do it).

Hubertus