Very basic lee reloading gear for .243

Looking on eBay I've come across this reloading kit, about £50 when posted.

I'm not shooting my .243 much but rather hate paying £32 per box for the ammo, I can't get PRVI Partzan round here and I prefer to use 55gr ballistic tips which they don't do anyway.

Is this kit any use to get started? I know it's not going to be very quick to use, but for the amounts I have it really shouldn't be a problem. It says it only resizes the neck so only use brass fired through my gun. I only have the 1 .243 so would I be OK with this, I've heard of full length resizing, is it important?

I have some brass that I've kept from factory ammo in case I found someone wanting it or wished to use it myself, some of it is Winchester silver cases, I assume these are OK?

I want to know if this is worth getting to get started, i.e will I save money or end up throwing it away after finding out it doesn't do everything needed, it looks very basic.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking on eBay I've come across this reloading kit, about £50 when posted.

I'm not shooting my .243 much but rather hate paying £32 per box for the ammo, I can't get PRVI Partzan round here and I prefer to use 55gr ballistic tips which they don't do anyway.

Is this kit any use to get started? I know it's not going to be very quick to use, but for the amounts I have it really shouldn't be a problem. It says it only resizes the neck so only use brass fired through my gun. I only have the 1 .243 so would I be OK with this, I've heard of full length resizing, is it important?

I have some brass that I've kept from factory ammo in case I found someone wanting it or wished to use it myself, some of it is Winchester silver cases, I assume these are OK?

I want to know if this is worth getting to get started, i.e will I save money or end up throwing it away after finding out it doesn't do everything needed, it looks very basic.

its is the most basic of kits you can buy,you will load ammo but to what standard and consistancy is to be seen,yes you will end up binning the lot as it will either break or you will get fed up of inconsistant ammo.

as to your case bin them as there nickel plated and they dont re size very well

at the end of the day buy once buy right,or pay a trusted reloader to load you a batch which will last a while and cost you less in the long run

if you want to use a light bullet at lkeast go for a 65gr pill it will perform much better,if you need any help feel free to PM me

A simple Lee Loader kit can be fun and interesting to use, but I would invest in a decent set of powder scales and vernier calipers to give you a truly consistent load. The Lee loader will only neck size your brass, which is fine for a lot of users after there brass has been fire formed to there respective chambers.

These are what they are, and will produce rounds of a 'decent' consistency despite other assertions. I have had these as well as much more expensive lyman kit. I used it for a while years ago and then moved on. The main issue is time and speed, if you want to reload any serious quantity then steer clear. Its a PITA, especially if you want to make up the numbers you'll need to develop a decent load for your rifle. My last setup was hugely expensive (don't even want to think about it), and the chrono would show that my rounds were more consistent.

When I say decent - this kit will churn out stuff of consistency somewhere between factory ammo and good quality handloads using better kit, but takes ages to do it. Nickel plated brass resizes just fine. It does however have a tendency to be a bit stickier in the resizer and it is true that non plated stuff seems to last a bit longer. Binning it would be just silly mind you. :rolleyes:

As for breaking - I would seriously struggle to see how you could have broken the one I used to use, unless you were a little bit "special".

In my mind - if you are serious about reloading, don't bother you'll end up spending more anyway. If you just want to try it and don't fire many rounds, why not.

I'm only really looking at the money saving, if I need a set of scales (I already have verniers) how much would they cost? Then with the cost of primers, powder, bullets what sort of savings could I expect?

The accuracy isn't of great concern to me, as I'm usually shooting off sticks or fences etc and probably won't really notice much difference between good factory ammo and good home loads in these situations.

Sadly I don't know anyone who can reload for me (though I'll probably find someone after forking out on reloading kit if I go that route...) so that isn't an option, otherwise I'd happily save myself hassle and go that route.

Ackley, on foxes (I don't do deer) what sort of difference would I see using 65gr bullet? I went for the 55's to be very destructive and because of the very flat trajectory, I never tried 65's.

Henry Krank sell them for £24.95. I used one of those to reload .308 for about ten years. But its probably better to go a little upmarket and get a lee press kit.

£32 a box is a bit steep. I think I would take the occasional drive to Leeds if it were me and buy a couple of hundred rounds of privi at a time. You could be there and back on a Saturday morning and its a straight road. If you don't fancy driving think about a National Express Coach. My student son goes all over the place on them and they are great. I wasn't really aware of them before he started using them. He can go from London to Bristol for around a tenner. If you book in advance.

(I've just looked on the National Express Web site. Scarborough to Leeds coach station about £6 each way)

Even if you only do it the once you will have a nice stock of cases to reload, but frankly a drive once a year strikes me as a better option. Gets it over and done with. Reloading is a lot of messing about when you first start, if your hearts not in reloading don't consider it. Compared to buying Privi there is not really a cost advantage. You are always buying more and more gear, first you buy some loading gear, then you need some scales, then you need a tumbler, then you need a trimmer etc

Lots of people have to do a long drive these days to get ammo. My preferred ammo supplier is over 40 miles away. Take the wife or the girlfriend (best not to take both) and have a day out in Leeds.

Big tip though, phone before you go to make sure they have what you want, supplies are variable.

Edited by Vince Green

I'm just up the road from you if you want to have a natter and see my setup. It's not top wack gear, but has been doing the job for years "very" efficiently. 70gn Nostler BT's are good out to 260 yds, without hold over, in my .243.

Be warned though. If you do down your own reloading path, it can become addictive, but extremely satisfying to see your own handy work doing the job :good:

its is the most basic of kits you can buy,you will load ammo but to what standard and consistancy is to be seen,yes you will end up binning the lot as it will either break or you will get fed up of inconsistant ammo.

as to your case bin them as there nickel plated and they dont re size very well

at the end of the day buy once buy right,or pay a trusted reloader to load you a batch which will last a while and cost you less in the long run

if you want to use a light bullet at lkeast go for a 65gr pill it will perform much better,if you need any help feel free to PM me

I always feel that those that doupt Lee's equipment have never used it or don't really know much about reloading.Firstly most of use reload to save money,if we are trying to save money then spending lots of money on target std stuff isnt really an issue plus we are not using match grade barrels. The old addage,' a bad work man always blames his tools' can be use for reloading in alot of cases. Lee is, for the money, excellent stuff, I started with the 4 hole turret kit, the only bit I have replaced is the scale as found it so fiddly, now have RCBS. The dies are also great quality, bought some Redding ones and found absolutly no differance in accuracy. The most important rule,obviously second to safety, is consistancy, consistancy in brass prep right through to the finished round. It may take a bit of experimenting to what powder, bullet, bullet depth your rifle will like best but once you have this data you will be able to reproduce this time and time again. As for the winchester cases, I have never used the silver ones so can't comment. You won't need a load of cases to start, if you don't push the loads to hot and necksize you can easily get 10 reloads per case

Most importantly buy a reloading manual and reload safely.

Firstly consider how many rounds you actually shoot each year. Then work out the cost of re-loading the .243

1. around 44 grns powder (convertion tables on net)

2. Price of your bullet heads (yes 70 grn nosler b/tip are great in mine also) - i would go heavier than your using

3. 1/10 th the cost of new brass - approx ten re-loads is average

4. Primers (large rifle)

For now the tooling is irrelivent. Is the above cost looking good? if not stay as you are

There are two basic camps here "handloaders" who will strive to get the best they can, even in exess of thier field requirement. Also homeloaders who are looking for convieniance and cost saving, deside firmly were you stand on that one before you buy any kit or its money wasted. If the thought of Privi appeals you are probebly in the latter

The former should buy a good press from forster, RCBS, redding etc. The other the cheaper brands. There is a half way house that can give you great results and that going for L.E Wilson Dies Two are required A neck bushing die (with the suitable bushing /bushings) and the bullet seater. The are the best dies in the world developed by benchrest shooters for use on the range. They can be used in an arbour press or by simple use of a mallet and a hard flat surface. So add a set of scales and a LEE handprimer and you could be producing top grade bullets. Slow admittedly and slightly harder in the larger .243" win than a little benchrest PPC etc but what do you need personally?

Decent kit looked after can go on for more than a lifetime, but you can find yourself constantly adding things. Remember it might be costing you £30 a box but how much fuel do you use going shooting etc?

There are two basic camps here "handloaders" who will strive to get the best they can, even in exess of thier field requirement. Also homeloaders who are looking for convieniance and cost saving, deside firmly were you stand on that one before you buy any kit or its money wasted. If the thought of Privi appeals you are probebly in the latter

Not sure if you can be as straight down the line as that, but handloaders who strive to get the best they can will not limit themselves with ammunition, ultimate accuracy starts way back from there without taking in natural ability.

Homeloaders who load for convenieniance and cost saving can have better than bought ammo accuracy without shelling out loads of money.

Does accuracy depend on money,I suppose it does but a mass produced hunting rifle with handloaded ammunition by a competent chap at the helm is plenty accurate for most hunting situations.

I always feel that those that doupt Lee's equipment have never used it or don't really know much about reloading.Firstly most of use reload to save money,if we are trying to save money then spending lots of money on target std stuff isnt really an issue plus we are not using match grade barrels. The old addage,' a bad work man always blames his tools' can be use for reloading in alot of cases. Lee is, for the money, excellent stuff, I started with the 4 hole turret kit, the only bit I have replaced is the scale as found it so fiddly, now have RCBS. The dies are also great quality, bought some Redding ones and found absolutly no differance in accuracy. The most important rule,obviously second to safety, is consistancy, consistancy in brass prep right through to the finished round. It may take a bit of experimenting to what powder, bullet, bullet depth your rifle will like best but once you have this data you will be able to reproduce this time and time again. As for the winchester cases, I have never used the silver ones so can't comment. You won't need a load of cases to start, if you don't push the loads to hot and necksize you can easily get 10 reloads per case

Most importantly buy a reloading manual and reload safely.

ell Iam afraid your "feeling" couldnt be more wrong,been there use it got the T shirt and broke it,seen it many many times people starting with LEE and binning the lot

but what do I know about reloading :rolleyes:

ell Iam afraid your "feeling" couldnt be more wrong,been there use it got the T shirt and broke it,seen it many many times people starting with LEE and binning the lot

but what do I know about reloading :rolleyes:

Its a funny old world, I have had no problems with Lee and they do offer a life time guarantee if anything brakes or isnt up to standard.Think alot of folks on this forum seem to agree with only one certain fellow having so many problems, maybe its not the equipment after all. Its not the best on the market, but the best I have ever needed,both my 243 and especially my 308 can shoot half inch groups at 100yds with sierra bullets.

Ackley

You have had this attitude towards Lee for years yet seem to be on your own thousands of other people including myself can not be wrong and if you ever break a lee product they will replace it free of charge

I get the impression if I were to give you two ball bearings you would break one and loose the other

Deershooter

Not sure if you can be as straight down the line as that, but handloaders who strive to get the best they can will not limit themselves with ammunition, ultimate accuracy starts way back from there without taking in natural ability.

Homeloaders who load for convenieniance and cost saving can have better than bought ammo accuracy without shelling out loads of money.

Does accuracy depend on money,I suppose it does but a mass produced hunting rifle with handloaded ammunition by a competent chap at the helm is plenty accurate for most hunting situations.

To make this clear its a generally used explaination of the two types that exist, not an exact thing. your last sentence mixes up the two types indeed i think (it makes no matter) Handloader and handloading being one and homeloader and homeloads the other. Many handloaders wish to convert homeloaders or maybee just feel superiour, this is wrong as is the reverse we have diffent needs and desires

No indeed and factory ammo has come a long long way in the last few years, i proved that to myself last spring time with some Fedral .243 loaded with 70 grn Noslers certainly to around 250yds i doubt i have done any better and to be fair a don't need the stds i load to either to kill Vermin, its just my mindset. these factory rounds were consistantly printing well under competitive std :good: But then again with brand new brass dedicated powder/primer combos and a top bullet head from a top maker what the heck else would you expect? ;)

Its a funny old world, I have had no problems with Lee and they do offer a life time guarantee if anything brakes or isnt up to standard.Think alot of folks on this forum seem to agree with only one certain fellow having so many problems, maybe its not the equipment after all. Its not the best on the market, but the best I have ever needed,both my 243 and especially my 308 can shoot half inch groups at 100yds with sierra bullets.

Mmmmmmmmmmm Ive seen these "my gun shoots 1/2 groups" guns before then the usual excuse is "well it did it last last"

look if you and others like LEE thats no problem as I have always said "it will produce ammo" the consistancy of this ammo is another story.

after starting with LEE and finding out the hard way I wouldnt give it shelf space.but thats just me I like consistant accurate ammo

Ackley

You have had this attitude towards Lee for years yet seem to be on your own thousands of other people including myself can not be wrong and if you ever break a lee product they will replace it free of charge

I get the impression if I were to give you two ball bearings you would break one and loose the other

Deershooter

not on my own Iam afraid there are people who want better results,if your happy thats all that matters

by the way "no one said you were wrong" and i have no use for ball bearing Iam afraid but a nice Forsters press would be helpfull

Edited by Ackley

Dont let anybody put you off lee gear . Its value for money and will load ammo as well as any other maker . I have used lee gear for many years and have never had the need to change . I now only load .308 rounds for stalking ,but have loaded many thousands of rounds of pistol ammo over the years with no complaint what so ever and I have never broken anything if I had then I would have got Lee to replace it free of charge . The trouble with these forums they do tend to bring out the tackle tarts who can talk pretty well but dont shoot to much but do like to go on and tell everybody how good they are . Buy Lee ,you wont regret it .

Harnser .

Dont let anybody put you off lee gear . Its value for money and will load ammo as well as any other maker . I have used lee gear for many years and have never had the need to change . I now only load .308 rounds for stalking ,but have loaded many thousands of rounds of pistol ammo over the years with no complaint what so ever and I have never broken anything if I had then I would have got Lee to replace it free of charge . The trouble with these forums they do tend to bring out the tackle tarts who can talk pretty well but dont shoot to much but do like to go on and tell everybody how good they are . Buy Lee ,you wont regret it .

Harnser .

thats a good one "dont shoot too much"

I wont lower myself to reply as i will only be accused of willy waving :lol::lol::lol:

just because you are happy with your results using LEE and we all know what that is 4 inch at 100 yards "some" people do want better.

theres an old saying "buy once buy right"

thats a good one "dont shoot too much"

I wont lower myself to reply as i will only be accused of willy waving :lol::lol::lol:

just because you are happy with your results using LEE and we all know what that is 4 inch at 100 yards "some" people do want better.

theres an old saying "buy once buy right"

Ackley ,I wasent referring to you personaly as being a tackle tart . Although it now looks as if you include your self in that catagory . Happy hunting .

Harnser .

Ackley ,I wasent referring to you personaly as being a tackle tart . Although it now looks as if you include your self in that catagory . Happy hunting .

Harnser .

Totally agree with you Harnser, Ackley is indeed a tackle tart (never heard of that one before) :lol::lol:

Not many jumping up and agreeing with him either, so far Lee is getting the vote for being a good investment for the the money, and if I could only get 4inch groups and it wasnt me I would be sending my dies back.

If you asked the question ' why is there a round thing on the end of the shaft' most would say to change gear with, Ackley's response would surely be to stop your hand slipping off. :lol::lol:

Edited by Redgum

mmmmmmmmmmmmm Moderators you spoil all the fun. Lets try this ' I have a new **** on my door'

So obvioulsy the word has been used in the wrong contect many times before :lol::lol: probably at the same bloke :yes::yes:

Ah ha sorted now.

Edited by Redgum

I have some lee gear too and it seems well made, most of the people in the US I have spoken too also rate it as good equipment...

I'm not much into reloading as factory ammo will happily shoot 1/2 - 3/4" groups all day long at 100 yards out of most factory rifles...

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1