Britannia?

hedd-wyn

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When filling out a form, if the only viable option is British I will check 'White Other' and specify English.

I am incredibly proud to be English.

:good:

Excellent :good:

I work in a department which uses such forms and I brim with pride whenever a form comes back like that (frequently)! I definitely don't just let out an indifferent sigh, roll my eyes and then put them down as 'British' anyway... :rolleyes:

I don't see how the Irish could be cosidered British, unless you're talking about Northern Ireland.

It is not as simple as it seems....

The United Kingdom comprises Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales & England

The British Isles comprises Northern Ireland, the Irish Republic, Scotland, Wales, England plus the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands - so I guess if you are from the Irish Republic, you can be British if you want......

However and when it comes to Rugby, most people in Northern Ireland would join with their cousins in the Republic and cheer on Ireland when they are playing against England, Scotland, Wales France, Italy etc.

The Scots will cheer on any team other than the English team in matches not involving the Scottish team.

Being British is not as easy as you might think - lots of undercurrents - lots of memories and whatever you are, just be proud of it!

Indeed, doesn't the British Army still recruit from the Republic of Ireland?

Yes indeed they do, and the Irish Government is about to pardon all servicemen who "deserted" from the Irish Defence Forces - who were obviously neutral in World War II - and who joined the British armed forces in their fight to defeat Nazism and the Japanese.

It is the most excellent news as there are still some 100 -120 Irish veterans [who were branded as deserters at the end of the War] alive out of a total of about 40,000 Irish citizens who joined the Allies between 1939 & 1945. In addition to this, were all those from Northern Ireland who also joined up - all volunteers as there was no conscription in Ireland - north or south in World War II.

I always figured your nationality was a direct correlation to the place where you were born. If say for example Germany invaded Wales and some of the Germans settled and had kids. If those kids were born in Wales would they be Welsh?

Kent born and bred (not too sure if its Man of Kent or Kentish Man, I always get the criteria wrong - HELP).

English 1st, British 2nd, although I have a cocktail of blood from across the British Isles.