Sea fly fishing

M ROBSON

Im off to Ibiza on sunday and im going to do a bit of fishing, last year I was in Majorca and I caught a lot of Mullet. I was talking to a guy in a local fishing shop and he told me some of his friends had caught Mackerel on the fly off the end of a local pier. This got me thinking that the Mullet could be cought this way too. I've got a little telescopic fly rod, so i'm going to give it a bash. Has anyone else tried this meathod of fly fishing before?

I've never done it but, by all accounts, fly fishing for Bass and Mullet is getting some interest.

Find an area of rotting weed on the shoreline that will be covered by water at high spring tides only and keep your eye open for Mullet coming in to feed on the maggots.

Ive heard a lot about it for a few seasons now, but no practical info in my locality.It sounds feasible, but Id feel a bit of a *** walking out on our marsh with a hatfull of flies. Tiercel is holding back on this one, Im sure he,s got some info on it, but wont spill the beans to us Jacks across the estuary.

• 1 year later...

MROBSON

When last in Ibiza instead of raving I went fishing off the harbour most days. There are plenty of goldeneye mullet there and here is atip how to catch. Put 2/3 trebles on your line and tie a free running loop. Take a slice of french bread and secure in the loop. Bury the trebles in to the bread and cast into the harbour. I promise you on a light rod this is fantastic as a three fish hook up is not uncommon. If you are going to eat them make sure they have a yellow dot on their heads and make sure there is not too much diesel floating on the harbour. Find one where sailboats moor and you will be allright. I never saw any mackerel there at al as i thought the shallow sandy bottoms were not to their liking.

jimDfish

If you want to catch mullet, try bread flake under a float. It works for me. :huh:

Same here. I have never caught a Mullet on a Fly and I have tried a few times.

They are amongst the shyest and wary of all our native sea fish and can be difficult to catch.

About couple of years ago I had some fantastic sport on a 10ft No. 8 and a White and silver sparkle leaded maribou. taking Mackerel, Pollack ( Including one fish of 6lb) and a soiltary 4lb bass off Chesil.

Good luck

FM.

Jimdfish.

I used a similar method to the one you discribed. I took a piece of sliced bread and removed the crust, then rolled and compressed it onto my line above the hook (looked a bit like a Tampax!). Pulled the hook up into the bottom of the bread and made a loop around it with the line to help secure it. I found this was heavy enough to cast without a float. A slow retrieve through the harbour resulted in a fish on most casts. I didn't even bother with the fly rod as fish up to 1lb with this method were not uncommon. Great fun, better than sitting around in the sun.

Mark.

ive done loads of saltwater flyfishing mainly for mackerel and pollack. mackerel seemed to like an intermediate line and something like a cats whisker fished fairly fast. ive had most success with pollack fishing with hi density lines short heavy leaders and large saltwater flies like pink things or clouser minnows, fish off the rocks into deep water over kelp beds. trhe takes and subsequent dives from a 3lb pollack on an 8 weight outfit have to be felt to be believed, you cant give any line on the first run as they will go straight into the kelp and snap you off.

ive never fished for mullet on the fly but a friend of mine has had a fair amount of success fishing near a sewage outflow using a fly he tied to look like bog roll called a sid snot coupled to a floating line. i would imagine that a floating line light leader and small bunch of white marabou tied to a size 12 hook would work well fished in amongst some bread ground bait. saltwater flyfishing is really addictive

tight lines

pete