Backstop???

Beretta28g

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say the earth, banks of mud - although a clear background is the most important thing! I once watched a thermal image video of a line of rifles (308win) firing down a range and the fragments/ricochet directions were terrifying! A couple of fragments even came off at 120 degree angles! (i.e.- back in the direction of the shooter...

Regards,

Gixer

As I said I can only comment from watching the video but on the missed shot for instance one can clearly see the miss strike high in the trees and not the ground, god help anyone hidden from view inside the wood on such an occasion.

For my eyes that shot was anything but high in the trees, but that is only my opinion we all have our own.

Depends, only the shooter can ***** the risk. If any doubt exists or if it takes more than a second or so to deside it isnt safe enough dont take it. Rocks often hidden can be lythal as regards the heavy centrefire clibres - bits of smashed rock can easily do a lot of harm. Sometimes something goes wrong many of us have had it happen, luckily you get a cold feeling and learn from it without any more serious consequences.

These sorts of threads go nowhere. I would have full confidence in the gentleman who posted the video's ability to decide if it was safe. If we say the deer was 50m away and the POI was 1 meter from the ground at that difference the bullet would hit the ground in a perfectly flat field in about 370m, assuming using the 6.5X55 estate rifle!

These sorts of threads go nowhere. I would have full confidence in the gentleman who posted the video's ability to decide if it was safe. If we say the deer was 50m away and the POI was 1 meter from the ground at that difference the bullet would hit the ground in a perfectly flat field in about 370m, assuming using the 6.5X55 estate rifle!

Sorry to hijack the thread but would you say that's acceptable Apache. Hitting the ground 370m away. All my permission is flat and I'm maybe overly cautious about backstops. That maybe one reason I still haven't applied for FAC yet.

Sorry to hijack the thread but would you say that's acceptable Apache. Hitting the ground 370m away. All my permission is flat and I'm maybe overly cautious about backstops. That maybe one reason I still haven't applied for FAC yet.

It depends. If I was in a perfectly flat field and could see half a mile then yes I'd say the trajectory drop of the bullet was adequate. If there was a house 400m away then no! Each situation is different and if it feels wrong then don't pull the trigger.

A nice rising bank of soft earth is ideal but not always possible.

Have a play with a ballistics programme - Hawke BRC is free and lets you play.