Backstop???

Beretta28g

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And surely if you're shooting into trees there's the potential ricochet problem if you happen to clip the side of a tree trunk?

I had a ricochet of sorts the other day off a fallow which turned the bullet 45 degrees and took out another about 10 yards back and about the same left so I guess it can happen. However off sticks you shoot with plenty of earth behind and above the animal the fact there are trees furter on is in most respects irrelevant you are relying on the earth to do the job not trees etc

a

I had a ricochet of sorts the other day off a fallow which turned the bullet 45 degrees and took out another about 10 yards back and about the same left so I guess it can happen. However off sticks you shoot with plenty of earth behind and above the animal the fact there are trees furter on is in most respects irrelevant you are relying on the earth to do the job not trees etc

a

Exactly

I would say A - unsafe (unless from a high seat), b- safe (off sticks, not prone), c - as medic says, unsure and unclear, looks kike there is a clearing behind so if I could verify that, safe off sticks, not prone, if couldn't verify what was behind that bush then not safe. D - not safe

From the camera height (not considering from a high seat) B is the only one you can see to have a backstop (and I wouldn't want to shoot it prone I don't think). C is a bit hard to determine from the photo so unless it looks different when you're there it has to be no.

It's better to come back after not shooting anything and to be safe.

B - safe

Simple as that.

Christ on a bike I hope some of you never go driven shooting with rifles, you would need to have extra baggage allowance for the body bags on the way back :oops:

Why? we have all said the same thing, albeit a little more elaborately than you!

I know this is unlike me Vipa but I agree wholeheartedly with your collected comments on this.

I would only reiterate your comment of dont shoot where you cant see the full trajectory and impact point, for certain.

Ok on ranges you can forget about the impact point but in shooting foxes, I would never, never ,never shoot into trees, even if they were 10 miles from the nearest habitation, as some luckless guy would be out counting squirrels or somesuch. Theres always another day. If I shot deer it would also be "b" only.

If the only point of view is from where the camera is then B is the only safe shot there. If I could move and get a better position on C I would maybe take that, but only if I could get an angle on it to have a clear background into that bank behind and be sure there was nothing in the bushes (which can't be seen from where the camera is so from there it's a definate no).

The best way to view a wood is at night. Get someone to go to the other side of that thick green mass and switch a torch on - you'll be amazed how many gaps there are in it. Never use a wood as a backstop - ever! Even if it's got a backstop behind it you can't ID what's in it.

To use a tree as a backstop is acceptable if the animal is close to it. I've used 4' round Oaks as backstops a few times but only if the quarry is damn near touching it and the point of the shot is into the centre of the trunk. It doesn't happen often!

B is the only one but you do need to be there, such a small window judge the shot is seen in the photos. the others might all present a safe opertunity if you wait a while (part of the thril of stalking) once a shot is released you cant call it back.

The last buck aint ugly, its just time of year effecting his pellage

B is the only one but you do need to be there, such a small window judge the shot is seen in the photos. the others might all present a safe opertunity if you wait a while (part of the thril of stalking) once a shot is released you cant call it back.

The last buck aint ugly, its just time of year effecting his pellage

Actually - it is ugly as it was taken off a site article about roe deer in breeding and poor feeding in the last hard winter apparently....

Was looking for the link as I'm sure the text said it had a growth...

Regards,

Gixer