looking after the ducks

fert

went out with my mate and his frifle the other night as i have just had delivery of 350 ducks on the small syndicate i keeper for. they where taken with a 17hmr. not the ideal fox gun but it does the job in hand.just gotto go and find mummy and daddy now.

post-1613-1151229627.jpg

a 17hmr. not the ideal fox gun but it does the job in hand.

There seems to be a big difference of opinion over this point. Our American brethren seem to swear by the 17HMR for foxes and coyotes, but in the UK the consensus seems to be for larger calibres. I think if you use the Hornady 25gn bullet at no more than 100 yds and take head shots then the 17HMR is more than up to the job. It seems to get more confusing day by day. :rolleyes:

P03

H. you,re a lucky fellow. I'm not sure exactly where in Germany you are but I have a feeling it's somewhere south .

To get decent sporting shooting like most of your pictures show, we have to "stock up", otherwise it wouldn't be viable to have a shoot like the ones you've captured.

In the UK there isn't enough cover to have the boar shoots that you enjoy, although, I dare say, because of the re-introduction "enforced" on certain farmers, this may change.

Bring on the pigeons! :rolleyes:

P.

Excellent work Fert - keeping them ducks safe - a top priority :angry:

There seems to be a big difference of opinion over this point. Our American brethren seem to swear by the 17HMR for foxes and coyotes, but in the UK the consensus seems to be for larger calibres. I think if you use the Hornady 25gn bullet at no more than 100 yds and take head shots then the 17HMR is more than up to the job. It seems to get more confusing day by day. :yes:

P03

PO3, 25g bullets are for .17rem (centrefire) - they are ok for foxes way out - 300yards +

whereas, .17hmr (rimfire) using 17g or 20g bullets is the debateable bit - I use it myself for sub 100 yard foxes (prefering hollow points) but will take my .243 if purely after foxes (unless noise is a concern).

Cheers

AndyCM

It looks to me the Cub on the left is significantly larger than the other three, same litter?

Hammy

yes this cub was shot on the another farm same farmer but he was a lot bigger than the othe three hubertus this bigger one was the only one to run on as the first placement shot was not ideal as you can see from the pics but another one was soon fired into him to finish the job they were all taken within 120 yards using 17 gr bullets in the boiler house i told my mate to go and get some 20 grains as i think these will peform better. and yes huburtus we have to buy ducks in to shoot them later :angry: it was a pity i didnt have my dog with me to pick up the wounded fox :yes:

good shooting the 17 vs 20 grain bullet debate is a tricky one. The Vmax 17's do shed the tip fast and expand well and are unlikely to exit so transfer all the energy to what they hit so do hit hard. The Hollow point 20's penetrate further but don't expand as much so can exit. I have some to try but as yet my local foxes have been un co-operative in participating in the experiment :angry: once some crops are cut that should change. What I can say is I've had 7 foxes with it so far and none has gone more than 2 paces. Mostly boiler room shots as well as I feel theres more room for error that way.

Excellent work Fert - keeping them ducks safe - a top priority :lol:

There seems to be a big difference of opinion over this point. Our American brethren seem to swear by the 17HMR for foxes and coyotes, but in the UK the consensus seems to be for larger calibres. I think if you use the Hornady 25gn bullet at no more than 100 yds and take head shots then the 17HMR is more than up to the job. It seems to get more confusing day by day. :)

P03

PO3, 25g bullets are for .17rem (centrefire) - they are ok for foxes way out - 300yards +

whereas, .17hmr (rimfire) using 17g or 20g bullets is the debateable bit - I use it myself for sub 100 yard foxes (prefering hollow points) but will take my .243 if purely after foxes (unless noise is a concern).

Cheers

AndyCM

I was sure I saw an article on t'internet saying they were using 25 gn .17 hmr rounds for Coyotes, but I can't find it again.....I may have been mistaken :):lol:

P03