Nissan Terrano MPG

ferguson_tom

My mazda 6s clutch is starting to slip every now and again so looking at getting rid as going to be expensive job and the car aint worth naff all. I think best truck for me would be the terrano for price and ability. The only thing I am worried about is the MPG some say you can get mid 30s on a run which is bearable others say low 20s which aint. I travel about 70 miles a day so want a comfortable car aswell, it will be used for going shooting but not going to be modded for off road use. My bio fuel plant will be working hopefully by the end of the month but if it aint i dont wanna be stuck with a motor that only does 22mpg, does anyone run theres on bio or waste oil?

What mpg are people getting out of there diesels? 2.7 and 3.0. Is the 3.0 that much of a better engine to spend the extra money on?

I'd say 25 usually, 30 on a good run. They are optimistic figures too.

Never had a 3 litre but the 2.7 is OK. Not exactly a racing car though.

Engine wise I prefer the old square headlamp (mechanical throttle) version. Intercooler doesn't seem to do a right lot on the later ones.

I like them, bought another not long back.

If you are after good mpg then buy a Frontera.

I've had my terrano2 for about 6-7 years now it has been very reliable and has'nt really cost

me when M.O.T was due, I drive it with common scence ie...speed,braking and cornering and it's

been brilliant,as far as mpg goes i say on a long run it's doing 32/34 a short run round town say

it's doing 22/23ish. but i would buy another when it's day is up :yes:

by the way mine is a 2.7 TD

GOODLUCK WITH YOUR CHOICE AND I HOPE THIS HELPS.

Got a 2001 Terrano 2, 2.7tdi sport only problems I've had have been fuel and brake lines needed replacing,MPG wise get about 25 around town 30+ on a good straight run ,brilliant last year in the snow never missed a beat and went everywhere it was pointed, good all round motor ,if you want a proper offroader though defender 90, **** poor running costs though...I've had 2.

Thanks everyone, i think its going to have to wait then until i get the biodiesel plant up and running and producing half decent fuel. The mpgs just a bit too low for me to handle atm with current fuel prices. Fingers crossed though we will be up and running by next month.

I cant believe some of the prices these trucks are going through on ebay though they are dirt cheap for a lot of motor.

i had a l reg shooting machine terrano 2.7 td last yr i would have said this was returning 30-35mpg i have just last week got a newer shape maverick only difference is the intercooler as it is a few yrs younger, but i filled it up and dont seem to be getting as far as i used to in the older terrano "even though the intercooler should slightly lessen fuel consumption "its still returning 28-32mpg which for a nice 7 seater that's goes anywhere isn't bad i suppose ..... could be worse Ive just had a Volvo xc70 for 8 months that did 16mpg .......... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ive got a terrano 2.7 td swb only do low milage / trips and feel that cost of fuel against little other running costs make it a great second car for shooting related

trips etc. i have a a4 advent but like the old nissan as a no frills knock about. swb hold there price once sub 2k. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Have used Terrano 2.7 diesels for more than 10 years, four models in all ... Mileage towing a boat at best 22/23 mpg .... driven with a "very light" foot ... at best!! ... 28/29mpg.

Three out of four vehicle needed a radiator around the 95k mile mark ... they are okay'ish off road, but they are no Range Rover by a long shot ... off road they are not as good as a Discovery ...

Common faults are corroded fuel line near to OSR wheel arch (fuel leak)

Corroded brake pipes (more so when used on the beach!!)

Anti Roll Bar bushes and Anti Roll bar drop links (drop links if left, wear through lower suspension arm) costly!

Gearbox failure ... doesn't give a lot of warning (no audiable mechanical warning) anything over 40mph when the failure occurs and the gearbox is wrote off.

Rear wheel brake cylinders frequently leak, if one leaks, replace both NS & OS wheel cylinders.

Electric window motor and lift mechanism not uncommon to fail.

Door hinge failure (mainly drivers door lower hinge) cheap easily fixed.

Dont read to much into the list, all vehicles have their problems and Terrano's probably less so than most ... worth getting hold of it the price is right, don't pay to much though !!

My 2.7tdi does about 30 mpg on average but it's automatic. On the road it drops into overdrive pretty quick if your light on the throttle. Cruises steady at 1000 rpm on level ground. I think that's where it makes it's best economy. Cams are gear driven so not much to worry about there. I've been happy with mine. 112,000 on the clock now and everything still works ok. :good: