Remy 700 vs browning a bolt

ging125

I have just sent off my variation for a 243. If i get the variation, (I hope I do) I am not sure whether to get a remington 700 sps or a browning a-bolt uk stalker. Budget is limited to about £800 max however!!

All experience with these guns and advice welcome!!

Cheers

Edited by ging125

I have a remington 700 in 243 and love it now,maybe because it was my first centrefire but it was a journey. The remington sps stocks are not the best, brownings are bedded I think as std. Remingtons triggers are not the best adjustment wise these days, brownings are easily adjusted. I would not be without my dependable 700 but it now has timney trigger and a hogue stock. I have never owned a browning rifle, shotgun yes and love it but rifle no.

I recently bought a Tika hunter in 308, its light and accurate and if Im shooting anything bigger than munties then its this gun that sits on my shoulder.

i have a .223 a-bolt and a 700 bdl in 30-06, i know they are two very different calibres but accuracy wise the a-bolt wins over the 700. i have had to do nothing to the a-bolt and it is very accurate with factory ammo where as the 700 was not very accurate out of the box, it now has a hogue stock and timmny trigger, both of which made a big difference to the accuracy, (not so much the trigger but certainly the stock), but it is still not as accurate as the a-bolt. if i could have both calibres in either browning or remington they would both be browning.

I think that sort of sums it up for you in a few posts, at one time the Remington would beat the Browning hands down, it has a good strong bolt and action, much loved by target rifle builders. But constant penny pinching in the wrong places has, unless your extremely lucky, have left a mule of a rifle.

I have a rem 700 in 7mm.08

its very accurate with my homeloads,but I have to admit that there guns lately can have quality issues.

Im happy with it and i dont care if it gets scratched.

Both rifles are very accurate, like most rifles today,with the quality ammo available.

If i had £800 to spend i would be looking for a good used sako.

I'm in exactly the same boat, waiting I

On my variation for a .243 to come back, I have looked at everything around the price range Howa, Browning x bolt and A bolt, steyr, remmington 770 and 700 and I think I'm going for the tikka t3 lite, hot with one last week half in groups at 100 yards no problem and I'm a novice

I have the browning a bolt in 243 as my first fox/deer rifle. secondhand and shoots priv 100gr less than an inch at just over 100m if i do my bit. had the trigger spring changed and a clean and polish by local gunsmith for a tenner and now shoots even better...just need to get out with it and get my homeloads started.

I have a friend who swears by the remmington though, as someone else has said, he likes it because of the strong bolt action...

My browning with t4 and doctor scope was about £500...

atb

Always difficult these questions as the answer reflects individual experiences or preferences.

I know very little about the Browning really, but my 700SPS .308 is an early(ish) one with the standard X Mark Pro Trigger, and it shoots PRVI 150g SP into 1", I had the barrel shortened by about 3" and fitted a mod, nothing else, it's about 4 years old now, was I lucky, who knows, all my rifles shoot and none have had ANYTHING special done to them, so don't believe they are all rubbish.

I have a T3 in .223 and .243, people generally suggest the Tikkas are in a different league to the Rem, and I was hesitant to get my Rem as I already had the 2 Tikkas, it's fine, my only regret with the Rem is the Floor plate, I hate them, but it shoots perfectly well enough for what I need out of the box. 1" or 1 hole group with a 150g SP .308 the quarry isn't going to care!

Consider the Tikkas and the CZ as well, etc.... :yes::yes::yes:

I have been lucky enough to own and use both side by side had a .300 WSM A bolt and a rem 700 .308 didn't have a problem with either. I like both but the Remy has the advantage of having hundreds of after market parts available my .308 only has the action and bolt left from the original rifle .Would I buy another , YES would I buy another A bolt yes but only if I wanted a standard rifle

Deershooter

I love my A-Bolt - it can clover leaf at 100 yards with my home loads.

I've never had a Remmy but it seems that they're great if you don't mind making them great. If you want to just buy a gun and expect it to be good already then perhaps the Browning is the one to go for. As it's cheaper you could buy a better scope. :good:

I've never had a Remmy but it seems that they're great if you don't mind making them great. If you want to just buy a gun and expect it to be good already then perhaps the Browning is the one to go for. As it's cheaper you could buy a better scope. :good:

al second that :good: :good:

Loved my A-Bolt

I have owned three Remingtons. A BDL, a VSSF and an SPS. They have all been excellent, but the SPS stock is utter garbage. So if you are considering an SPS you are going to have to factor in for a better stock. In which case you might as well buy a more expensive model. The only thing I would say about them is the quality control issue does have to be considered. Having worked in a gunshop which had dozens of Remington rifles in stock. I was less than impressed by the numbers with issues. One had a bolt that wouldn't close, another had a muzzle which looked like a bullet had got stuck and it was blown out. How that got past quality control I really can't imagine. It was horrendous. If you get a good Remington you will be hard pressed to find a better out of the box shooter, but if you get a bad one it will be a lot of hassle getting it fixed. I am not a fan of the A-bolt. I would sooner spend the extra and get an X-Bolt. They are a lot nicer but I would probably buy a Tikka given the choice. :rolleyes: