.22 for deer ?

big bad lindz

I have just over heard a conversation at work offshore in the tea shack of someone taking out a deer with a .22

He did not go into to much details and I did not even know that he was intrested in shooting.

As he lives in Scotland I would assume he was talking about a Roe or maby a Sikia and not a Red ??

I dont know if it was his own rifle or if he was out with someone else.

I do not have a FAC (yet,some time in the future maby) but please correct me if I am wrong.

Can you have a .22 on your ticket for shooting deer and would a .22 have the power to do so cleanly ?

As I was just leaving the room I mentioned that I dont think that you can shoot deer with a .22 (legaly)

His response was it came down ok.

I am sure some of you crack shots out will be able to put me right, if I have some hard facts I may speak to him about it.

I am not sure if this was just tea room bull or not.

Cheers,

BBL

mmmm defo not from my firearms dept, they also require you to have been on a DSC 1 course as a minimum requirement and have a mentor :no: :no:

they dont breed dogs do they

As the OP did not qualify which .22 I can only presume that the chap was talking about a .22c/f which is perfectly legal for roe in Scotland and the small species of deer in England.

There is no legal requirement to have a DSC or mentor, I've never had such things.

As the OP did not qualify which .22 I can only presume that the chap was talking about a .22c/f which is perfectly legal for roe in Scotland and the small species of deer in England.

There is no legal requirement to have a DSC or mentor, I've never had such things.

I am afraid the firearms dept,in my region are adamant that it is the minimum requirement, you will find that most police forces in england ,stipulate what you can have and what they want to give you :good:

anyone else like to add anything

I am afraid the firearms dept,in my region are adamant that it is the minimum requirement, you will find that most police forces in england ,stipulate what you can have and what they want to give you :good:

anyone else like to add anything

As Charlie T said, There is no legal requirement to have a DSC or mentor, I've never had such things.

He is correct!

There is no law supporting them, they are just making it up as they go along, question them if you have a case, and or take it to your shooting organisation. The more people who sit there and get shafted the more the regions think they can get away with it.

Edit

I have also known people who have had a .243 for fox, but then wanted to add deer, and DSC or Mentor has been stipulated to them, whats all that about heh? Perfectly capable of safely handling a .243 and putting the shot in the right place on a fox but apparently incapable when a deer turns up? :hmm:

Whats your regions take on that one huntsman?

Edited by Dekers

I have 243 conditioned for deer . I do not have dsc or mentor . I had smaller calibres for 18 months on my ticket . They refused to grant it as fox only . I had to prove I had land With deer on , which I do not so u booked a deer stalk with a keeper and it was granted no problem