Rooks and Jackdaws

K Mac

Ok I think I know the answer to this but just want your take on this.

I have been shooting the jackdaws off the tree tops when they come in to roost with an HMR getting quite a few so great the farmers happy.

Now he wants me to do the Rooks the same way which I can't as no safe back stop.

His next idea is air rifle and a spot light at night.

Now they are not feeding on them farm but across the river at another farm.

The place has a pheasant shoot so no chance of permission their.

The black things won’t even look at a decoy pattern just now.

Once they start nesting I can get them as they feed every where but he wants results now and so do I.

Cheers

K Mac

P.S All my shots are SAFE

Surely this is a wind up,please say its a wind up!mate shooting jackdaws or anything for that matter in TREE TOPS is bloody outrageous they are not safe shots at all you shouldn't even be Allowed a hmr if your feo found ou he would hit the roof.

shoot them with shotguns for god sake and yes lanping birds at night us illegal

The easy way is a shotgun. .410 moderated? If you get under the roost in a hide for a few days they will soon give up and go elsewhere. 17HMR is great for rooks on the ground when the fields have been ploughed and / or drilled. Or wait till the branchers are about in a few weeks time and shotgun to cull the young. Good fun and doing the job safely. :good:

When he says that all his shots are safe, and that he cant shoot the rooks out of the trees because he has no backstop (which hints at the fact he must of had a backstop when shooting the jackdaws), what gives you the impression that anything he is doing is "bloody outrageous"?

Perfectly simple question.

If you read it aswell mate it said shooting Jackdaws in tree TOPS I doont know bout you but normally that means at the top of the tree where there's no backstops....you shouldn't even be shooting a hmr up into a tree in the first place that's wht its bloody outrageous mate and I'm sure most would agree as for shooting them on the ground that's completley different and obviously you can do that and its undoubedly a good way of controling them.

Perfectly simple awnser: don't be a dodgy so and so and use an airgun or shotgun

If you read it aswell mate it said shooting Jackdaws in tree TOPS I doont know bout you but normally that means at the top of the tree where there's no backstops....you shouldn't even be shooting a hmr up into a tree in the first place that's wht its bloody outrageous mate and I'm sure most would agree as for shooting them on the ground that's completley different and obviously you can do that and its undoubedly a good way of controling them.

Perfectly simple awnser: don't be a dodgy so and so and use an airgun or shotgun

It is you sir who are missing the point, George's comment is extremely valid and correct.

There hundreds of mature beech, oak and fir trees on my land that I can and do shoot crows in with a .243 because they have a safe backstop.

Without knowing the OP or his land please don't ridicule him for the sake of it.

Then sir you to obviously shouldn't have a fac either are you having a laugh shooting a 243 up into trees...what would happen if you missed or your gun was off or if it skimed the tree I quite frankly I think you and George deserve to be Ridiculed with your outrageous comments...your feo wod throw the book at you if he knew...can't even believe um having this argument.

OK, picture this...a smallish valley, you are at the top of a ridge on one side. Halfway up the other side are trees which are popular with Jackdaws etc. You will be looking DOWN and the backstop is a small mountain.

Could well be one of the safest shots you could wish for :yes:

Just my two-penneth!

GH

OK, picture this...a smallish valley, you are at the top of a ridge on one side. Halfway up the other side are trees which are popular with Jackdaws etc. You will be looking DOWN and the backstop is a small mountain.

Could well be one of the safest shots you could wish for :yes:

Just my two-penneth!

GH

Exactly, thank you GH.

Charlie

why is it that certain people on this site just have to slag off and just cause trouble and arguments? no body knows his land and it may well be a safe shot so stop having a go at the chap and give the man the advice he is looking for.

Tom

I regularly shoot Jackdaws with a .22 rimmy. There is a hollow tree on one of my permissions, where they always nest. I can stake out the tree and as they come into build the nest they cling to the lip of the hole before entering. They are stationary for a moment or two, just enough to prepare and shoot safely. There is a 2 foot tree trunk as a back stop. I find a single round is all you need. If I was to miss the trunk as a backstop at 40 yds I'd give up shooting. :lol:

Well Well this has brought the out the I know best brigade out all I wanted to confirm was that as I thought Lamping rooks is illegal. Thank you Guest 1957

As for Tomhw100 you don’t know me or the land I shoot over or my Firearms Officer who would probably hit the roof as he had not been invited. Stop letting your imagination run away with it’s self obviously it is to small to be out on it’s own

Greenhunter Has almost described my fireing point to a T the Back stop is a mound of earth over 500 meters tall and my position is just below tree top level on another pile of earth I do not live in Essex so I have things called HILL’S all I can see behind the tree tops is Heather I do not have a city as a back stop or with in a few miles

Why do we need any ante shooting lot with all this in fighting

I have tried a hushpower when they are coming back to roost but they just go to another part of the forestry block and I end up playing tig with them

It’s a sheep farm so no fields get ploughed as to hilly for crops

Cheers K Mac

Well Well this has brought the out the I know best brigade out all I wanted to confirm was that as I thought Lamping rooks is illegal. Thank you Guest 1957

As for Tomhw100 you don’t know me or the land I shoot over or my Firearms Officer who would probably hit the roof as he had not been invited. Stop letting your imagination run away with it’s self obviously it is to small to be out on it’s own

Greenhunter Has almost described my fireing point to a T the Back stop is a mound of earth over 500 meters tall and my position is just below tree top level on another pile of earth I do not live in Essex so I have things called HILL’S all I can see behind the tree tops is Heather I do not have a city as a back stop or with in a few miles

I have tried a hushpower when they are coming back to roost but they just go to another part of the forestry block and I end up playing tig with them

Cheers K Mac

Ive already apologised mate in another thread...I got the wrong end of the stick! :blush:

Edited by tomhw100

Cheers K Mac

Thanks for your comments. Enjoy your hills.

The only safe way to catch these is to build a ladder trap bait it for a couple of weeks without a roof and then fit the roof and the rest is history

Mark

One i built earlier

post-24750-0-41824500-1329577127.jpg

I think the trap may well be the way to go.I try to "control" rooks on 2 farms but a large reduction in numbers only came after several years intensive brancher shooting.Adult rooks wise up VERY quickly and have hawk like vision,you will manage to shoot some but a big inroad into numbers is a tall order in my experience.However I am only too happy to learn if anyone has some good methods!

I've not seen one of these before, how does it work?

birds drop through the ladder on the top of the trap and because they have to fly out with there wings open they wont

fit through the rungs of the ladder then you enter the trap just before dark to dispatch them

atb dolphin

How wide are the gaps ladder Dolphin? If you don't mind me asking of course?

Wouldn't mind having a go at making one of them myself

different sizes depending on which birds your after obviously jackdaws are a lot smaller than rooks but if you do a search for ladder traps on craft diy sure someone put drawings up once before

atb dolphin

Surely this is a wind up,please say its a wind up!mate shooting jackdaws or anything for that matter in TREE TOPS is bloody outrageous they are not safe shots at all you shouldn't even be Allowed a hmr if your feo found ou he would hit the roof.

shoot them with shotguns for god sake and yes lanping birds at night us illegal

So this is the one, not sure how I missed it first time around, not true, too wide a statement!

tohmw100, I'm really not sure what to make of you, but take a chill pill, take a step back and think a bit more! :good:

ATB!