17HMR split necks

Hi everyone,

just bought some 17HMR Remington premiers and it turns out that eight out of the 50 have split necks. I spotted one then checked the rest. I pulled one bullet out by hand, which was a surprise! I have seen other makes split as a result of firing but never unfired ones. See attached pic. Cracks are uppermost (mostly).

Anyone had anything similar? More to the point is it something to worry about?

I am thinking fliers at the least and maybe debris in the barrel etc.

Also, I am shooting a Sako and was told Federals were best. Any other views?

Mark.

Hi everyone,

just bought some 17HMR Remington premiers and it turns out that eight out of the 50 have split necks. I spotted one then checked the rest. I pulled one bullet out by hand, which was a surprise! I have seen other makes split as a result of firing but never unfired ones. See attached pic. Cracks are uppermost (mostly).

Anyone had anything similar? More to the point is it something to worry about?

I am thinking fliers at the least and maybe debris in the barrel etc.

Also, I am shooting a Sako and was told Federals were best. Any other views?

Mark.

post-23678-0-67453800-1329574189.jpg

Finding split cases after firing is VERY common, finding them before firing is less common, because there are less, and because people don't look.

It shouldn't be a problem in a well maintained and clean HMR, just the same I wouldn't be that keen to try, they would go back to the RFD if they were mine!

:good:

My dealer has just told me that the splits are due to the loaded round dipped in liquid nitrogen (neck and bullet) to get the neck tension and this is what makes them brittle.He says that with such a small neck they have to inject the priming compound and then bottleneck them coldas opposed to larger cals. Well thats what he tells me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive had a good few split cases but only noticed them after they were spent,CCI makes the cases for all the .17 HMR ammo and loads it for the different companies. When they make the cases they draw the case out to a .22mag case that has a straight wall. Then the priming compound is put in the rim of the case. The case is spun to put the primer evenly in the rim.

After the priming is complete the case mouth is reduced to the .17 caliber to hold the bullet. The reduction process, however, puts stress on the neck of the case. They obviously cannot anneal the neck of the case to relieve the stress because of the compound in the rim, so from time to time you will get a case that cracks. Some batches may produce more splits than others. The chamber pressure on .17 ammo is so low that it does not hurt the chamber on the rifle.

They have tried to anneal the cases more before it's formed to .17, but this did not eliminate the cracks altogether. If the cracks were minor I would continue to use the ammo. The cracks do not affect the accuracy of the round and the brass is not reloadable.

TAKE THEM BACK!!

I had a similar problem with a batch (there are a few of a bad batch still around), the result was a partial ignition and the bullet lodged down the barrel, this happened at night in pitch black. Thankfully I had the good sense to pack up and go home to check what happened where I found the bullet lodged in the barrel, requiring some less than delicate rodding to remove the offending item.

They shouldn't be split BEFORE you fire them although it is common for them to split after firing them.

Edited by mick miller

My dealer has just told me that the splits are due to the loaded round dipped in liquid nitrogen (neck and bullet) to get the neck tension and this is what makes them brittle.He says that with such a small neck they have to inject the priming compound and then bottleneck them coldas opposed to larger cals. Well thats what he tells me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Find another dealer/seller that has a smidgeon of knowledge.

Edited by Andy H

Right then.

Took them back yesterday to Bedford Country Pursuits (I had been warned) and got my £15 back. They were Batch F18P18Went to Sporting Targets and got 100 Hornady V-Max for £20. That's more like it. Checked them all this morning and not a single bad one. They looked better quality too, more uniform and no tiny dings in the cases either. Will go and zero Sako with these today.

Remingtons were recommended by a stalker acquaintence who highly rated them. However trawling the web, Hornady seem to perform as well or better than Remington so why pay more?

The main things I've learned from all this. 17HMR ammo can be variable so I'll check any new batch in the shop. Only a few RFD's really know what they're talking about and spotting them is becoming easier.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanksd everyone for your help & advice.

Mark.

Right then.

Took them back yesterday to Bedford Country Pursuits (I had been warned) and got my £15 back. They were Batch F18P18Went to Sporting Targets and got 100 Hornady V-Max for £20. That's more like it. Checked them all this morning and not a single bad one. They looked better quality too, more uniform and no tiny dings in the cases either. Will go and zero Sako with these today.

Remingtons were recommended by a stalker acquaintence who highly rated them. However trawling the web, Hornady seem to perform as well or better than Remington so why pay more?

The main things I've learned from all this. 17HMR ammo can be variable so I'll check any new batch in the shop. Only a few RFD's really know what they're talking about and spotting them is becoming easier.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanksd everyone for your help & advice.

Mark.

More importantly what did Bedford Country Pursuits say?

• 2 weeks later...

Issue resolved but I'll not use that dealer again.

Emailed Remington in US and here's what they said

Split necks should not occur on new rounds. These could potentially damage the chamber of the rifle. Our importer in the UK should be able to assist you with replacing the ammunition.

Edgar Brothers

Lyme Green Business Park

Macclesfield, SK11 0LR

011-441-625-613-177

Shot a 3/4" group with Hornady V-max on first outing. I'll stick with these.

post-23678-0-03962200-1330462807.jpg

• 5 months later...

I had 3 cases split tonight. Of 13. Never seen it before! Upon checking my remaining ammo 2 live rds were cracked also. Right down to the shoulder.

I'm taking them back because I believe qc should be better and I'm not paying for ammo that has a high chance of damaging my rifle.