cleaning a semi

viking

right, been out with the semi today and as it was windy its got full of dust, iv not really had a semi long enough befor to give it a proper clean, or even strip one down, so iv taken it to bits and cleaned most of it ok, im a bit stuck on the trigger part, (see photo)and how best to clean that, and what are the other parts that should get a good clean, by the end of the day it was that dirty it wouldnt cycle the second cart,

i know i should know all this but i dont, any help much apreciated.

cheers, lee

I wouldn't take the trigger mechanism apart unless you're very confident you can not loose anything and get it all back together perfectly. I've found Beretta trigger groups to be very fiddly. I give mine a wipe down with an oily cloth, then a dry one, then oil lightly any parts requiring it. If mine ever gets that dusty, I go over it with an air-gun off a compressor to remove dust etc, although I appriciate some won't have access to such kit.

Oh.....

My.....

God....! :blink:

Bet you don't leave it that long again eh?!??! :no:

Thats 'orrible. I can't tell you how to do it, I can only say how I might approach it, as the only thing I have is the piccie you posted.....

IMO, I think I might try an airline first to get the worst of the dust out, taking all appropriate safety precautions beforehand. and making sure I didn't blow anything I needed away with the dust! ( Also doing this bit outside, away from anything important )

Then I would strip it completely, taking any photos to aid re-assembly, and clean it thoroughly. I know some people hate the stuff, but I'd use brake cleaner to get all the bits spotless, and some good gun oil during re-assembly, but I'd try not to over do it - a light smear should be enough.

Given the state of the trigger group, I'd also have a blinking good look in the rest of the action, and down into the stock, checking the rat tail etc...

Good luck :hmm:

ATB

Hi

On my beretta al391 when i clean the trigger mech i use Tetra action blaster then i make sure i more or less wipe all the oil off all the parts. Once this is done i will use a lightly oiled cloth to oil certain parts that show a bit of wear on them you will know what in mean after you take all the dust of it which really needs to be blown out with an airline. Whatever you do DON'T try to take the trigger apart as you do not need to just to clean.

regards

maltese falcon.

usually clean mine with aerosol brake cleaner, its air drying so no probs there, then re oil sparingly.

the brake cleaner will make all the gunk and old oil/grease run out.

personally wouldnt strip it down any further, think you'll be getting yourself into a whole heap of trouble.

Chuck it in the dishwasher and then give it a spray of GT-85, job done :lol:

Guess a joke reply but some good advice here none the less.

Don't recommend a dishwasher however water will displace dust and grime quicker than most organic solvents.

Sure, you don't want to leave metal in contact with water for too long. Give action a good warm water flush,

briefly dip in methylated spirits. When dry, re-apply a light coating of gun oil.

I have seen guns recovered from horribly muddy conditions following wildfowling 'mishaps'. Even after a few

moments looked like someting dug up by Tony Robinson on 'Time Team'. Washed through, no real harm done.

Dry the metal reasonably quickly (as in your case), wood more slowly.

Chuck it in the dishwasher and then give it a spray of GT-85, job done :lol:

I was going to suggest that, but I thought I might get seriously flamed for doing so! - do it with the bike air cleaner all the time tho - it works, tho Mrs Sim is, er, not overly happy about it! but a trigger group? struth - what could possibly go wrong!! :lol: :blink:

Dishwasher it is then !!

ATB

Sim

now im scared, iv never taken the trigger out of a gun before and i dont intend stripping it down any further, after stripping it earlier and laying it all out, i had to go out, iv just come back now hopping the fairies would of cleaned it and put it all back together, but they havent. so i will attack it tomorrow and see what happens, i do have access to an air line, but think i will try a brush first, i was thinking of running it under the tap but wasnt sure without asking first, i think as it is i will be able to get it back together,

theres a couple more pictures.

this is where were at now :no::hmm:

well i couldnt sleep knowing my gun was in bits go i had a go at it now, stiff paint brush in the trigger, then some spray then loads of cotton buds and some string threaded through the tight tricky bits, itc come up nice and clean now,i forgot to photo the trigger when it was clean, and as luck would have it it went back together no problem,

thanks for everyones help.

A little late I guess as you have already got her back together but you don't need to ever disassemble the trigger mechanism to clean it. I take an empty container and put a bit of white gas(regular would do as well) and holding the mechanism by the chrome shell feed swish it around several minutes. If really bad repeat. You will be amazed at all the burnt powder that comes off the insides. Then blow off thoroughly with compressed air, I feel the less lube applied the better as this is what attracts all the dirt and powder. I used white gas with a small paint brush on the inside of the receiver as well. When satisfied with it's cleanliness put a small bit of a good lube (not WD40) Rem oil,CLP etc. to the rails inside the action that the bar rides in. Most autos function best with minimal lube

Edited by coyotemaster

I run my trigger group under a hot tap very regular, its the only way to disolve and remove salt. Oiling ontop of undisolved salt is very bad, just dry it off well and give it a light spray over with a light non-creeping oil. if there is contaminated oils and greese to remove then use a solvent like mineralised meths, lighter fuel etc