Best bunny caliber and bolt or semi ?

Schmoo

Hi, I need a few tips on what would be best for bunnies on my permission. I have 1200 acres of fields with a few woods here and there, its pretty level but there are small vallies and dips here and there.

The bunnies are battering the crops, I have in the past used air and shotgun to help keep numbers down, but this is hard work stalking rabbits with an air rifle sub 12ft. I do it but may spend 3 hours and not be able to get in range, I can easily get within 150 just walking, and if I hug the hedges 60-80yds but that last 30-40yds is the killer, crawling on my belly only to discover the rabbit has popped hope for a nap or hopped off to go and munch grass ten yards further on.

The ground is not chalk or flinty.

Im thinking .22lr with subs as it will get them at 80yds, and its silentish.

But do I go bolt or semi, some say semis are not accurate ?

Your opinions would be welcome.

Thanks Schmoo.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are putting in for your FAC get a slot for a .22RF and a .17HMR, both with silencers. I love the .17, great fun and can do some crazy long shots. Costs more to feed but is my 'go to' gun in daytime. I usually use the .22 under the lamp. It's what I take driving around silage aftermaths etc, very cheap to run.

I wouldn't want to be without either.

If I was in your situation I'd put down for FAC air and moderator, even if you don't want one. That way you can always do a free 1 for 1 variation when you inevitably want a larger calibre!

Bolt action everytime!

.22lr is a good bunny clearance tool if your land does not give you ricochet worries,in general it is cheaper and easier to get an accurate bolt action rifle although some may not agree.Personally I would also budget for a laser range finder and scope with graduations to get the most from the calibre.

.22lr is a good bunny clearance tool if your land does not give you ricochet worries,in general it is cheaper and easier to get an accurate bolt action rifle although some may not agree.Personally I would also budget for a laser range finder and scope with graduations to get the most from the calibre.

Graduations ? Are they the same as mil dots ?

What sort of range are they good for in the right hands ?

Thanks Schmoo.

If you ever get a semi as accurate as a bolt action I will be amazed, but for bunny bashing at sensible distances it isn't worth the argument.

The bolt action will focus the mind more, a semi is the lazy mans tool, in a similar way to a single shot compared to a bolt action magazine fed PCP.

It's human nature, you can't help it, if you know you have a follow up shot waiting if required then the mist may descend!

For fun I use the semi, I have never found the land that really needs it over the bolt action yet, hence why I only ever bought my first just before Christmas, it can have its moments at the tin cans, shooting from the hip, over the shoulder, behind your back.....and it can eat ammo....but it can also have a big grin factor :D:D , I wouldn't suggest any of those reasons on your FIR101 just the same. :lol::lol:

......and cleaning is a pain compared to a bolt!

Hi Schmoo,

First off i would say stick with a bolt action for field use. Semi-auto's can be choosey on ammunition types and this is only my opinion by the way, i think that the 22lr because of its very nature is not really suited to gas operated actions. It can be greasy because its a lead bullet so needs lubricant during manufacture. Many will disagree and say that their semi auto is better than a bolt action, fair enough, but for me and many others i'd stick with bolt action :yes: . Remember also that if you're using the rifle from a vehicle the ejected cases will probably end up pinging around the vehicles interior.

22lr is more than capable of taking bunnies at 100yds using sub sonic rounds any further than that and i would be looking at the 17hmr. You will probably find that after time you may feel the need for both 22lr and 17hmr. They are two completely different tools. I have both hmr and 22lr as do many other shooters. For lamping i always reach for the 22lr from the cabinet. Several reasons for this but the main two are its very quiet, extremely accurate and in the dark even under the lamp i seldom take rabbits over 80yds so the 22lr fits the bill. On summer evenings or early morning in increasing daylight i take the hmr as i can increase the range.

So to sum up, 22lr great for lamping and when shots dont exceed 100yds, hmr flat shooting out to longer ranges and laser accurate providing the shooter does his bit but with the handicap of it being much louder than a 22lr firing subs.

If i were you my initial purchase would be 22lr and then at a later date and if funds permit, then go for the hmr.

You will struggle to control rabbits effectively relying only on a sub 12ft lb air rifle tbh for the reasons you have already described.

Hope this helps :good:

ATB,

Pat

"Graduations ? Are they the same as mil dots ?

What sort of range are they good for in the right hands ?"

Personally I use a Meopta 6x42 with reticle as below.With Winchester subs 50yd zero,79yd 1st grad,109yd 2nd grad(154yd 3rd grad:dream on).Personally using rangefinder I have had success on occasion to 110yd,rested no wind,but try to keep to 80yd generally.You really need to practice on paper with your chosen ammo to st your limit.Hawke Chairgun Pro works well with .22 subs and gives some reticle visualisation.

post-3485-0-45925600-1329602437.jpg

Cheers chaps for your replies, will any old .22lr bolt action do or does it need to be some super duper, thing ? Or is the same as shotguns, I have a lovely browning but never use it as im scared to mark it in the field, so I go straight for the old work horse my Baikal semi.auto, rugged and not pretty but good as what it was made to do.

Regards Schmoo.

"Graduations ? Are they the same as mil dots ?

What sort of range are they good for in the right hands ?"

Personally I use a Meopta 6x42 with reticle as below.With Winchester subs 50yd zero,79yd 1st grad,109yd 2nd grad(154yd 3rd grad:dream on).Personally using rangefinder I have had success on occasion to 110yd,rested no wind,but try to keep to 80yd generally.You really need to practice on paper with your chosen ammo to st your limit.Hawke Chairgun Pro works well with .22 subs and gives some reticle visualisation.

Thanks for that info, I will check it out.

Schmoo.

CZ are the work horse of rim-fires like Tikka are in center-fire.

You WILL NOT go wrong with a .22lr CZ Shillouette (synthetic stock is much better than wood hence silhouette) with a Sak mod, Decent scope, Hawkes will do, and Winchester subs.

You can buy better but there is no need.

Bolt action every time as i reckon they are more accurate.

CZ are the work horse of rim-fires like Tikka are in center-fire.

You WILL NOT go wrong with a .22lr CZ Shillouette (synthetic stock is much better than wood hence silhouette) with a Sak mod, Decent scope, Hawkes will do, and Winchester subs.

You can buy better but there is no need.

Bolt action every time as i reckon they are more accurate.

So any of the CZ range, what about the browning models, have always had a soft spot for american guns.

Does it make any difference to what barrel length I go for, it will be screw cut for a moderator ?

Schmoo

The CZ Shillouette mate has the synthetic stock. Make sure it is screwcut, it should be, but check. Barrel lengh, i have 20'' and its not a problem, its personal preference.

Having used a couple of american guns (Ruger and Remmington) i hate them with a passion. the browning models are apparently decent but will be more expensive than a CZ, and mine are workhorses, and if the get scratched i am not gonna cry my eyes out.

The CZ Shillouette mate has the synthetic stock. Make sure it is screwcut, it should be, but check. Barrel lengh, i have 20'' and its not a problem, its personal preference.

Having used a couple of american guns (Ruger and Remmington) i hate them with a passion. the browning models are apparently decent but will be more expensive than a CZ, and mine are workhorses, and if the get scratched i am not gonna cry my eyes out.

Thanks for that info, so is there any difference in a 14 inch barrel over a 20 inch one, is it juts so they are easier to handle in a hide or tight spot ? Is there a minimum length to allow the bullet to hit top speed ?

Sorry to keep asking questions.

Schmoo

Thanks for that info, so is there any difference in a 14 inch barrel over a 20 inch one, is it juts so they are easier to handle in a hide or tight spot ? Is there a minimum length to allow the bullet to hit top speed ?

Sorry to keep asking questions.

Schmoo

To be honest i dont know if there is any advantage, they must be easier to use from a motor, but accuracy/energy wise i dont know, there may be some but id have thought its minimal.

Remember subs, are slow being subsonic.

My rifles apart from a CZ trigger mod are factory finish, they work and earn their keep so their functional.

if you are not carefull youll find youd have been better off building a custom rifle :wub: :wub: Nice as they can be id be froightened of damaging it.

Any other suggetions, im not after a rolls royce just a simple gun to get the job done.

Schmoo.

Any decent bolt action .22 will out-shoot most people shooting it when you've found its favourite ammo. .22 subs are very stable rounds and capable of great accuracy. Target shooters use them to 300 yds. (Someone will come on now and say they use them to 600.)

I have a Weihrauch HW60J, and the same in .17 HMR. I love these rifles but they're a couple of hundred quid more than a CZ. The only difference really is that the HWs are sleaker, tighter and smoother and I just like that refinement. There may be an accuracy advantage over a cheaper gun, but it will be too small to be taken advantage of by the avaerage shooter. The gun for you is the one that that gives you confidence because it just feels right when you pick it up and shoot it. Dont bother getting a .22 with a barrel longer than 16". There's no advantage and it gets in the way.

Definitely get an HMR as well. I use a Pulsar NV scope on my .22 which will shoot dawn dusk and darkness to 80 yds, which for me is dead cert LR range. But I take very large bags in hot spots by staying put and sniping from cover with the HMR out to 160 yds, especially in summer. This rifle is particulary good for taking out swarms of summer juveniles.

If you're serious about proper rabbit control you need to be systematic and have every tool in the box, and you need to mix it up. They catch on very quickly so don't fall into a routine which they will learn or you'll spread well trained switched on survivors all over the farm.

Stalking rabbits is very satisfying but the real numbers come with ambushing, whether from physical cover or from darkness. Virgin colonies that have never been shot I hit hard two or three times with a few days in between, then leave them alone for a week or two. I snipe them with the HMR nailing everything that shows. The trick is not to miss or allow a frightened or wounded animal to make it back to ground, and then they'll just keep on coming. I'll alternate between dawn and dusk and when they've rested I'll mop up with the night vision. I don't use a vehicle. All my ground is cultivated and driving over it is out of the question.

When the farm is hopping with rabbits huge bags are easy. The hard part comes when you've got the population down to the hardcore survivors, then you have to work hard to keep it that way. But its like pushing water uphill with a brush: fine while you keep it up, but turn your back and you're up to your knees again. If you've got a lot of rabbits near buildings or foot paths an FAC air rifle is very useful.

Edited by Gimlet

as gimlet said its about what feels right for you,gives you confidence when you pick it up and shoot it,my first gun was a CZ 452 .17HMR WITH 16" BARREL,great gun,i then bought a ANSCHUTZ 1417 .22 WITH 14" BARREL AND 2 STAGE TRIGGER.The differance between the two guns apart from the calibres for me was unbelievable,as i said the cz ,great gun but the build quality,smoothness and feel of the anschutz compared to the cz was unbeieivable.I sold the cz and bought an ANSCHUTZ 1517 WITH 14"BARREL AND TWO STAGE TRIGGER,both now have thumbhole stocks and i am really happy with both set ups.Whilst the annies are alot more expensive than czs at the end of the day its whats right for you,before you buy try holding the guns,see what feels right when you shoulder the gun if possible try shooting the guns.This shooting game can be quite expensive try and get it right first time and you will save yourself a good few bob or get it wrong from the start and loose yourself a good few bob as i can testify

atb dave

Hi, I need a few tips on what would be best for bunnies on my permission. I have 1200 acres of fields with a few woods here and there, its pretty level but there are small vallies and dips here and there.

The bunnies are battering the crops, I have in the past used air and shotgun to help keep numbers down, but this is hard work stalking rabbits with an air rifle sub 12ft. I do it but may spend 3 hours and not be able to get in range, I can easily get within 150 just walking, and if I hug the hedges 60-80yds but that last 30-40yds is the killer, crawling on my belly only to discover the rabbit has popped hope for a nap or hopped off to go and munch grass ten yards further on.

The ground is not chalk or flinty.

Im thinking .22lr with subs as it will get them at 80yds, and its silentish.

But do I go bolt or semi, some say semis are not accurate ?

Your opinions would be welcome.

Thanks Schmoo.

To all intent and purpose the .22 lr with subs and reasonable moderator is silent, more noise will be reflected back by the impact of the bullet. Subs in the right hands are capable of selecting head shots from a good rig on the right day, the average compotant shot can always turn to chest shots once the 70+ range is exceeded. Ammo generally cost not more than £50 a brick (500 rnds) and you dont need to spend a fortune on the gun- with exeptions of the very low end junk ammo quality and scope choice will be the limiting factor in a bolt action. Barrel length is better shorter than longer unless you shoot open sights! Semi Auto is a good fun choice but offers no real benefit in the field can be harder to handle and maintain, noisier (due to action clanking)and by the very fact that it loads automatically potentially less safe in the field.

Your description tends to (tell me to get a HMR please :yes:) but i am not going to fall into that trap because if you want one you will get one regardless, i am going to tell you to enjoy closing the gap to that which you are comfortable with. At the end of the day if you can shoot any with a 12ftlb air gun you can get a bag full with the LR.

So get a .22RF and an allowance for 500 rnds to buy 600 to keep and a slot for a sound moderator. Mount a 3-9 x40mm or 6x42 of the best quality you can, then take it out and practice- shoot various different subsonics through it to find what it likes before buying your full allowance (always clean well between boxes or the reults will be swayed). Record windages, drops, group size from close up to 100yds. Forget lazer rangefinders and dial in with practice and confidence aided by a little knoledge they are no more than an encomberence

For the record i shoot a short barreled CZ Varmint that i bought used, a very old Parker hale moderator and a 6x42 S+Bender scope. The gun has been modified in the stock to suit me perfectly as such i can compantantly load the next round and shoot it one handed when required- the trigger is unmodified though they do need a fair few rounds through them to get sweetened up i do not believe in kits or any trigger mods to this gun. Its preffered diet is SK subs (formally Lapua) although it will put 100yds groups in you can cover with a thumbnail there is still around one in about 50 that will go unexpectedly fast or slow (poppers and crackers) this is to be expected in even high qualiry .22 subs although at 50yds you cant even spot they are occuring

Edited by kent