B.S.A Meteor

MAJ

I've today got my Meteor back, lovingly restored by Ernyha, who I can't thank enough.

I've zeroed in the scope, and am getting a 1 to 2 inch grouping at 25 yards. My mate reckons I can better that by using different pellets. I seem to remember reading somewhere that older air rifles are more accurate when you use 5.6 mm pellets. The ones I have are 5.5 mm. Is this right? and if so what make/brand should I be looking for. I've phoned my local gunshop and all they have are 5.5 mm.

Incidentally, the zeroing took place in a stone barn, at a measured 25 yards, with the rifle resting on bales, so there was minimal wind to blow the pellet off course.

Wasps come in two sizes 5.5 &5.6,one has a blue lid and one has lilac lid,someone saidrecantly that they were going to stop making them in 5.6 though.BSA used to make a pellet called the prylarm or somthing like that,they were 5.6 but i dont think they have made them for years but i may be wrong.Try some different brands,i'm sure you will find somthing that shoots well :beer:

The difference comes about from the metric conversion of .22.

The nearest true conversion would be 5.6mm but Europeans rounded it down to 5.5mm. Yours is a true English .22 and hence nearer to 5.6mm.

Having said that I've never had a BSA .22 barrel yet that wouldn't shoot AA Fields well. At 25 yds you should get well under an inch 5 shot group on even a elderly gun