17hmr vs 22lr for Rabbit

brucegill

Hi guys

New to the forum, so hello!

My ticket should be coming through the door in a week or two and I have space for both 22lr and 17hmr (plus FAC Air if I want it)

I'm used to sub 12 air rifle and have around 1200-2000 acres over various permissions. There's hardly any cover on any of them hence the FAC application.

From what I understand; 22lr are good to 100 yard max (I'm used to shooting using hold over etc), very quiet but ricochet. I do have some flinty ground so it's a worry.

17hmr good to 150 yads, flat trajectory, more expensive to feed. Possible meet damage. Windage issues.

My problem lies in the meet damage as I eat or sell my quarry. It looks like 22lr will be the way to go. I've looked at CZ, Sako, 10/22's, and then an Anschutz 1417/1517 (big price difference I know, but I really want a 2 stage trigger as I'm used them with Air rifles.)

Most of the quarry will be around 70-150 yards away before I'm spotted and they run.

I really want to know your thoughts on 17hmr meat damage as this would be a problem.

Many thanks and sorry if this has already been covered.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you shoot them in the head, you don't have to worry about meat damage. ;)

Personally, I prefer the .22LR. I've owned a couple of HMRs and they've never appealed to me that much. Any bullet will ricochet, given the right situation.

I was out the other night with someone off the forum and in all honesty, the HMR seems to have lost it's bite. Very little meat damage.

As said above, stick it in the head and dont worry ! :good:

HMR VS 22LR is a big debate very much like its .177 VS .22 of the airgun world.

Search the forum theres alot of reading and alot of oppinions.

My recomenedation would be try to get out with someone and see both rounds being used or give a good detailed account of the land you want to use this rifle over and its surrondings,what you want from the rifle.

:good:

Iv'e used both .22lr and .17hmr. If you are only going to have one go for .17hmr, better range and close to flat shooting.

As for meat damage head shot's out to 150yds are possible.

Try a cz if you can great for the money and a trigger upgrade is cheap and easy to sort out. :good:

Good luck with what ever you choose.

i did have cz in hmr form but as soon as i got an anschutz 1417 .22 with two stage trigger,i put the cz up for sale and bought an anschutz 1517 and had the trigger converted to a two stage,both now have thumbhole stocks and both 14" barrels and i wouldnt change them for anything.The difference between the cz and anschutz in accuracy is very little possibly anschutz a bit better but build quality,smoothness and overall quality of the annie beats the cz hands down.Between the two the .22 is very good as you say out to about 100yds max,but is alot quieter than the .17 and very good for lamping.The .17 good to 150yds but louder than the .22,meat damage is none existant with head shots and both calibres are more than capable of this if you do your bit.I would recomend you try the thumbhole stock if you decide on the annie as it has a raised cheekpiece much like an air rifle stock as normal rifle stocks do not have it so your chin will be alot higher on the stock.If i were you i would get both calibres funds permitting and bear in mind if you get a cz and trigger kit it will not make it a two stage trigger,just a trigger with no creep

atb dave

Iv'e used both .22lr and .17hmr. If you are only going to have one go for .17hmr, better range and close to flat shooting.

As for meat damage head shot's out to 150yds are possible.

Try a cz if you can great for the money and a trigger upgrade is cheap and easy to sort out. :good:

Good luck with what ever you choose.

i would personaly go for a hmr, evern on windy nights a its capeable to head shoot rabbits out to .22lr average distances (80yards) but for then still summer everning you still have a gun what is capeable of shooting beyond 150 yards :). maybe look into a sako quad and get .17hmr and .22lr barrels. but if you just want a hmr or lr a cz with a trigger kit is ace :good:

and yes both .17hmr and .22lr do ricochet but it will happen 10x more with with a .22lr thats the big differnce

Edited by Matt Gould

Hi, This will always be an ongoing debate,but one things for sure don't think you wont get ricochets from a hummer because you can and most certainly will. As has been said all bullets can ricochet and thats very true.

I prefer 22lr for rabbit work but thats my preference and thats not to say i don't like my HMR because i do,but for different reasons.

You won't go far wrong with a CZ,great work horse but compared to my Sako Finnfire in 22lr my CZ 17hmr seems agricultural.

As for meat damage,well we're not talking about shooting them with a large calibre c/f are we. In the main its a 17gr ballistic tip and highly frangible,granted, but stick to head shots and you wont go far wrong. Its a very flat shooting and accurate round is the HMR and even the average shooter should be more than capable of taking head shots at well over 100yds no problem. If he can't then he should'nt be shooting live quarry IMO :good:. Do some research on here and you will have a good nights reading on this topic :lol:

ATB,

Pat

The flatter trajectory of the HMR lends itself to a much more tolerant error of range 'guestimation - especially when lamping or using NV, a successfull headshot is much more likely.

Yes HMR will occasionally ricochet but after striking something, 17 grains (or less if fragmented) of distorted non aerodynamic lead will run out of inertia much quicker than an almost always intact 40 grain lump of lead which is more likely to pass through the rabbit.

A bonus is that the sonic crack confuses the direction the shot came from.

The HMR is better in the wind than the 22LR, although not by much. It's a lot noisier, but rabbits don't seem to react as much as you might think, possibly because the noise of it hitting their mate at 2000fps drowns out the sonic crack from the bullet.

Meat damage is variable, and that's a minor niggle with HMR, terminal effects are difficult to predict. A good shot always kills, but sometimes it leaves a neat hole and sometimes it blows the head half off. I don't know why.

HMR is very easy to use, I think it should be the starter calibre for new FAC holders.

best to have both, but I rarely take the .22 out these days

Same here.

If you shoot them in the head, you don't have to worry about meat damage. ;)

Personally, I prefer the .22LR. I've owned a couple of HMRs and they've never appealed to me that much. Any bullet will ricochet, given the right situation.

I was out the other night with someone off the forum and in all honesty, the HMR seems to have lost it's bite. Very little meat damage.

I was the same.. Bought a cz hmr and put the brookes trigger kit in it. It was a lovely, accurate, flat shooting rifle and i can understand why people like them but.... the ammo wasnt cheap compared to a 22lr and it was also very noisy and the slightest wind seemed to push that little bullet about. Soon got left in the cabinet then sold and was replaced by the 22lr which is here to stay :good: .

.17hmr and put in for a .22 FAC air at the same time. .22lr out to 100yards? Don't think so. 60-70 yards is in reality the limit before you need to think about holdovers etc. which at night is a pain as it's ten times harder to gauge distance at night.

A .17hmr will make life easy, put the crosshairs on the bonce and pull the trigger at any range more or less; plus your rabbits will be a lot less bloody (before I get flamed a headshot .17 bunny is a lot less bloody in the cavity and flesh than a .22lr shot bunny as the majority of the blood is lost from the massive wound, we prep literally thousands a year, the worst of the lot are ferreted rabbits).

When you can't use a .17hmr use the .22 FAC air, as good as a .22lr (nearly), silent, cheap to run and the ricochet issue is negated by the energy loss from the initial strike. I've had a few real brown pants moments using the .22lr when the bullet has gone whining off into the night.

Still if you really want a .22lr let me know as it's likely my CZ452 Style with Rimfire Magic trigger kit will be up for sale soon, that's how much I rate the FAC air.

i did have cz in hmr form but as soon as i got an anschutz 1417 .22 with two stage trigger,i put the cz up for sale and bought an anschutz 1517 and had the trigger converted to a two stage,both now have thumbhole stocks and both 14" barrels and i wouldnt change them for anything.The difference between the cz and anschutz in accuracy is very little possibly anschutz a bit better but build quality,smoothness and overall quality of the annie beats the cz hands down.Between the two the .22 is very good as you say out to about 100yds max,but is alot quieter than the .17 and very good for lamping.The .17 good to 150yds but louder than the .22,meat damage is none existant with head shots and both calibres are more than capable of this if you do your bit.I would recomend you try the thumbhole stock if you decide on the annie as it has a raised cheekpiece much like an air rifle stock as normal rifle stocks do not have it so your chin will be alot higher on the stock.If i were you i would get both calibres funds permitting and bear in mind if you get a cz and trigger kit it will not make it a two stage trigger,just a trigger with no creep

atb dave

Hi there, So the 1517 isn't 2 stage like the 1417?? I assumed it was the same rifle but in 17hmr?

I tried one with the thumbhole and as you say, much more like an air rifle stock and lovely to handle. Did you find another stock second hand or get one new from somewhere? Only ask as I have one locally for sale but no thumbhole stock.

Cheers

Bruce

Hi there, So the 1517 isn't 2 stage like the 1417?? I assumed it was the same rifle but in 17hmr?

I tried one with the thumbhole and as you say, much more like an air rifle stock and lovely to handle. Did you find another stock second hand or get one new from somewhere? Only ask as I have one locally for sale but no thumbhole stock.

Cheers

Bruce

hi, no the 1517 is a single stage trigger,but you can get it converted to a two stage,i bought the thumbhole stock new £240 both of which you can get done from frank dyke,the trigger conversion is about £50 i think

atb dave

17hmr vs 22lr for Rabbit

There ISN'T a better calibre for rabbits, there is only a better calibre/ammo for different pieces of land/distances/situations.

That's why I have a .22lr, HMR and WMR, and even then, rabbits also fall to my air rifles, shotguns and centrefires!

ATB! :good:

i dont think you will get a defo answer to this, you will have to add up all the pros and cons with both cals and work out which will be best for your hunting needs.

both are great rounds and have there ups and downs. i have had both in cz styles but i only have the .22 now, one had to go and i picked the .22 and glad i did now. :yes:

but thats for me, there just tools at the end of the day.