17hmr vs 22lr for Rabbit

brucegill

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Mr Winchester, you need to buy another computer and programmer, ...LOOK at those figures, for anyone who has all 3 of those calibres it is obvious that all is not well!

I don't have any of the 3 calibers... Help me out m8, whats not well?? :/

http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22drift_cross.html

This does not appear to agree with Mr Winchesters computer model!

I've only gone for HMR because it's the sensible choice for the ranges stated. I don't know many blokes who can shoot a LR reliably at 100+ yards and those who do have them set up like a 1000 yard centrefire with a rangefinder and a scope that can be dialled in. That's an awful lot of grief for a bunny gun.

The fact that I, Mr doesn't like the HMR, has said that it would be the best choice.... Doesn't that tell you something?

I like the Hornet and .22lr but in this case a new shot who just wants to shoot bunnies at longer range needs a HMR unless he wants to jump in at the deep end and home load too. All a bit much for a beginner really and a HMR will be easier to get past his FEO as a first bunny rifle. :good:

I've only gone for HMR because it's the sensible choice for the ranges stated. I don't know many blokes who can shoot a LR reliably at 100+ yards and those who do have them set up like a 1000 yard centrefire with a rangefinder and a scope that can be dialled in. That's an awful lot of grief for a bunny gun.

The fact that I, Mr doesn't like the HMR, has said that it would be the best choice.... Doesn't that tell you something?

I like the Hornet and .22lr but in this case a new shot who just wants to shoot bunnies at longer range needs a HMR unless he wants to jump in at the deep end and home load too. All a bit much for a beginner really and a HMR will be easier to get past his FEO as a first bunny rifle. :good:

Over 100 yds, granted but up to 100 aint actually very hard without any dialing and rangefinding- IF you dont select brian shots only and you have practiced and stick within your personal limits. After 100yds it gets difficult granted. I have tried dialing in for bunnies with the .22 lr in the past and its a blinking nightmare unless you set up an ambush at a certain range and wait it out

Contrary to what you say about c/fires being harder to get i think more should push hard for them to be granted, i should like an FEO to convince anyone that using a 17 hornet was a greater danger to the public than a HMR. I do expect they try that on all the time mind you ;)

Range is fine to guestimate and calculate holdover till you are shooting at night under the lamp, then it gets very deceptive and is where the point and shoot of the hmr comes in handy. Especially if you are trying to shoot fasto

If you cannot estimate range then you cant call wind either as the two are very linked! This is the larger error factor on many good lamping nights. My best night ever was in the big storm of 87? I rember being unable to shoot standing as aim was impossible :yes: I take the point though it is harder to estimate range- a few ticks can over come this;

If you are unsure of if the shot requires any hold, click your tounge or squeek the rabbit will mostly stand so be ready and aim for the head if your resultant shot is low you will get a neck or heart lung shot. saying i think it is so i will hold over normally ends in failure as distance seems greater not less at night.

Only lamp within range, many are constantly scanning beyond practical shootable range. It only takes a quick fast sweep to know were your best chances are on entery to a field. Then sweep the ground 50-60 yds infront in the likely areas. I hear many use night vision rather than the quick sweep, that sounds good but its hard to change old habbits that work

Thats fine kent if you restrict shots to that range but we shoot everything we see usually to 120 plus and as we'll either be on a track or a tramline getting closer may not be ano easy option. But thats pest control t

well for a long time we walked, i dont doubt you struggle in a big noisy smelly 4x4, do you have the CD player on aswell? :lol: but 120 yds blows your argument about hold over to bits- as you looking at some major windage errors to be made out there