How much lead ?

throdgrain

No worries mate, no offence taken :good: Its just frustrating. I've revelled in beating blokes with really expensive guns - a Blaser F2 and a lovely 30" Beretta spring to mind - with my Mossberg. When I got the Benelli I just expected my scores to instantly improve, and of course the truth has been the opposite ... :lol:

Highlander talks a lot of sense, if you're serious about clay shooting, then get yourself lessons with a good coach who has a track record in winning competitions and knows how to turn average shots into top class shots.

I don't agree completely with him about patterning cartridges, as I've spent many hours at the pattern plate trying all sorts of loads through all sorts of chokes at all sorts of distances, and I'm still can't honestly say I've learned very much.

I also believe that good gun fit is absolutely paramount, as many shots have to be taken instinctively and the gun absolutely MUST shoot exactly where you're pointing it, I cannot stress that enough..!!

This may only add 4 or 5 targets per 100 to Mr Average's score, but when you're competing at top level even a marginal improvement can make the difference between being on the winners podium, or being an also ran somewhere in the classess..!!

I speak from recent bitter experience..!!

Cat.

im notnormaly one for clays but do shot alot of rabbits and pigeon, i personaly dont know how i work out lead, it just feels right, after a few years u start to build up shot pictures in your head and it becomes almost like one fluid movement, i do alot of walked up shooting witch involve fast snap shooting at bolting rabbits and with that type of shooting you develop ad ability to quickly work out how much lead to give, and i personaly agree with what u said about pigeon they are the ultimate quarry and i know old boys who have shot for many years still find pigeon tought and have good and bad days, but the most important thing is practise practise practise the more you do it the more it becomes second nature, also ive never had professional lessons, but i read all my shooting magzines and listen to hat the pros advice and practise swing, mounting the gun etc and i feel that im a good shot although how good on the clay ground id be i dunno!

How much lead to give hmm ok to work that out you need to know some things:

How far away is the target.

How fast is the target moving.

The time it will take your shot string to reach the target at the distance you will hit it.

From that you could work out exactly how much lead to give it.

But working that out is impossible isn't it?

If it's a true crosser and you have everything else correct gun mount, gun fit, stance then as you see the bird keep looking at it and pull ahead of it. As long as you are ahead of it and you keep then gun moving you will kill it. You miss behind when you stop the gun this can be becuase you've looked at the end of your gun as you pull the trigger. Just keep watching the bird.

If it's dropping then all you need to do is keep watching the bird with the gun glued to your face, don't move you gun just watch the bird and as you follow it with your eyes you will follow it with your gun. As long as you keep watching it when you pull the trigger you will kill it. This goes for any type of dropping target, wether it's incoming, crossing, going away as long as it's dropping when you pull the trigger.

Incoming/driven birds that aren't dropping you watch them and blot them out with your barrels before firing.

Ben

Ben I douldnt agree more I had a lesson last week my failures brought this on, and well what a difference in the handling. Eyes glued to the bird, face glued to stock, follow the bird, pull in front and pull the trigger. This method feels good and so smooth. My kills came up instantlyon the skeet range and all good positive breaks. But on sunday I had a not so good day, but when I missed I knew where I went wrong I managed to hit birds Ive never hit brfore. There was however 1 stand where I couldnt make head nor tail I managed 1 kill each round out of 4 pairs, another stand there was a long crosser again I missed every one of them!! and again I hadnt a clue where I was in relation to the bird. And whats the lesson to this story yes a lesson will help but we have to learn from it and try and build the sight pictures up in our head that we need!! Oh and I have just bought a new gun as well, it fits a treat but I am still learning how it shoots!

cheers

john

Ben I douldnt agree more I had a lesson last week my failures brought this on, and well what a difference in the handling. Eyes glued to the bird, face glued to stock, follow the bird, pull in front and pull the trigger. This method feels good and so smooth. My kills came up instantlyon the skeet range and all good positive breaks. But on sunday I had a not so good day, but when I missed I knew where I went wrong I managed to hit birds Ive never hit brfore. There was however 1 stand where I couldnt make head nor tail I managed 1 kill each round out of 4 pairs, another stand there was a long crosser again I missed every one of them!! and again I hadnt a clue where I was in relation to the bird. And whats the lesson to this story yes a lesson will help but we have to learn from it and try and build the sight pictures up in our head that we need!! Oh and I have just bought a new gun as well, it fits a treat but I am still learning how it shoots!

cheers

john

good to hear your improoving your kill ratio, if your having problems with crossers try a faster swing, muzzle speed is the key, when you aproach a longer crossing bird, i have found it easier to shoot this way put your muzzles out just short of the kill point say 2/3rds along the path, this will ensure you dont spend to much time on target, when the gun comes in you should already have the speed matched and lead set, gun to cheeck and bang, coming from behind a far target creates un-nessasaary movement, and too much time to error, shorten everything up and see how it goes, most target shooters are lazy, the least amount of work for the maximum result, dont swing a gun 40yds across a field chasing a target when you can drop it in 10yds. economise, you will find it easier trust me.

Martin