Rat problem!

jez28

I live in the sticks and have now got a rat problem. A guy came out to us and put some traps down. The traps are essentially sprung traps inside a plastic box which has the holes in each end. He also left me a key for them and a tube of attractant.

Ive positioned the traps where i think they are going but to date have only caught two!

I cant poison due to other animals. We have chickens which we keep in an old victorian style kennel, stone built with a door on it. Ive just put the chickens away to see a rat disapearing down a hole in the floor.

Whats the best way to sort these out? There now tunneling into my polytunnel in the allotment. They just wont go into the traps.

Suggestions please??

Nasty little things.

Can you pop them off with an air rifle?

Perhaps it would be worth trying a different bait with the traps, peanut butter is a good one. Look for rat runs for the best places to set the traps.

The problem may be that with chickens about they will have plenty of food available and won't be too hungry, which makes it a little harder.

I will probably get told off for this :( , but one way to stop them burrowing is to dig a trench around the boundary of what ever you want to protect, fill the trench with broken glass, bottles, or windscreen glass is ideal.

Mark the area to remind yourself and warn others.

In my youth we use to mix glass in with the cement around the walls of the bakeries I worked in to prevent entry by the unwanted guests.

I have my tin hat on and will now await the incoming :lol:

You have to go for a multi-pronged attack! I have a small rat problem at the moment and in the last few nights I have trapped a couple, shot a dozen with an air rifle and I intend to put some poison down under a shed (although having kids, a dog and chickens puts me off poison).

They take a little while to get used to new things so, if you have several traps I would bait them for a few days, but leave them unloaded. When they are used to them and regulally taking the bait load the traps and hopefully you'll get a few in 1 night. They are don't like to go near to other dead rats or their smell (reasonably) so don't expect to get them every night.

They must be after the chicken feed so I would put the trap inside a box with chicken feed-bait the actual trap with apple and see what happens.Make sure you clear away as much food on the floor as possible each night-put the boxed trap somewhere they have to climb to reach it and put a small hole in the side to force them to chew through.

I live in the sticks and have now got a rat problem. A guy came out to us and put some traps down. The traps are essentially sprung traps inside a plastic box which has the holes in each end. He also left me a key for them and a tube of attractant.

Ive positioned the traps where i think they are going but to date have only caught two!

I cant poison due to other animals. We have chickens which we keep in an old victorian style kennel, stone built with a door on it. Ive just put the chickens away to see a rat disapearing down a hole in the floor.

Whats the best way to sort these out? There now tunneling into my polytunnel in the allotment. They just wont go into the traps.

Suggestions please??

How long have the traps been in place?

Pity this guy didn't mention the fact that rats are neophobic, they don't like change or new things, it is not uncommon for them to walk right round bait boxes for 2 or 3 weeks!

Remove as much other food source as you can and proof as much as you can.

By all means try other methods as well, you may well find a combination of methods brings results, but don't give up on the boxes you have.

would firstly reduce the amount of surplus food about. feed them, take the food away and then lock it away. Rats also need to drink alot of water a day, so find the water source and eliminate it. Rats are also neophobic i.e have a fear of new/unfamiliar things within their environment, and will subsequently avoid it. This makes getting them into the box and then traps that more difficult. Using rodenticde blocks should be fine, if they are well tethered within the bait stations. Personally I would bait the burrows deply with rodenticide wax based or chalk blocks and back fill them firmly. If this didnt work, then get a proffessional in who would probably drop phosphine down the burrows and drop the lot in one hit, or use a range of contact gels or dust in strategic places which is digested when grooming