Rifles calibres

ted m

I will say it just one more time . .308 is the jack of all trades calibre and master of them all . You wont have to hesitate if you address a big red stag . Good luck on your choice ,if not the .308 then the mighty .270 although they do bark a bit at first light in woodland .

Harnser .

I am thinking of a new rifle for deer mainly red and fallow what do you recommend 2.43 2.70 or 308 or any other ideas.

Many thanks.

Depends on ranges and location to get the ideal. 7-08 or one of the 6.5mm is worth looking at. All said and done its personally any cal .243" up will get the job done

I think the fact that you're shooting the larger species should steer you away from the smaller rounds. I'd wipe the thought of .243 for sure and say that the .260 Rem or 6.5x55 should be your starting point.

Next up, do you ever picture yourself as a home loader or do you want to shoot factory ammo? Having a wide availability of ammunition makes and types in most shops is very important if you want to go the factory route and travel around a bit. Your local dealer can order you anything so from home it's no issue, but go on a trip and run out half way through and you're screwed if you go for something unusual. I think the .308 is probably the round that will be available virtually anywhere. If however youplan to home load you will generally learn to adapt and take a good number of rounds with you. I've never run out yet. That way of doing things opens doors to many more brilliant rounds - 7x57, 7-08, .260....

What range do you want to shoot at? If it's longer then perhaps a gun with a little more grunt wouldn't hurt. The .270 is pretty flat and hits hard but kicks a bit too.

Are you recoil sensitive? If so 6.5x55 is a lovely round and punches well above it's weight.

I home load and my personal favourites are 6.5x55 and 7mm (both 7x57 and 7-08). If I didn't home load I would go for .308 almost for certain. It's a brilliant round which is widely available in a lot of bullet weights and does most jobs well. It does kick a bit though, although when you get up into the Deer calibres most do to an extent.

I think the fact that you're shooting the larger species should steer you away from the smaller rounds. I'd wipe the thought of .243 for sure and say that the .260 Rem or 6.5x55 should be your starting point.

Next up, do you ever picture yourself as a home loader or do you want to shoot factory ammo? Having a wide availability of ammunition makes and types in most shops is very important if you want to go the factory route and travel around a bit. Your local dealer can order you anything so from home it's no issue, but go on a trip and run out half way through and you're screwed if you go for something unusual. I think the .308 is probably the round that will be available virtually anywhere. If however youplan to home load you will generally learn to adapt and take a good number of rounds with you. I've never run out yet. That way of doing things opens doors to many more brilliant rounds - 7x57, 7-08, .260....

What range do you want to shoot at? If it's longer then perhaps a gun with a little more grunt wouldn't hurt. The .270 is pretty flat and hits hard but kicks a bit too.

Are you recoil sensitive? If so 6.5x55 is a lovely round and punches well above it's weight.

I home load and my personal favourites are 6.5x55 and 7mm (both 7x57 and 7-08). If I didn't home load I would go for .308 almost for certain. It's a brilliant round which is widely available in a lot of bullet weights and does most jobs well. It does kick a bit though, although when you get up into the Deer calibres most do to an extent.

Yet you gave up the .243" without trying the answer :rolleyes: