sub 12

kyle21

Those running at 11lb/ft +/- 0.5 lbft are good for a range of up to 40yds, BUT you must be consistantly be able to hit a 10p at that range. More often than not its not the power but the accuracy that counts. .177 is more accurate over longer ranges. My own opinion is that I use my .22 for a max of 30-35yds, and my .177 for 35-40yds.

pretty much as stated above mate...

personally, i use .177 for everything except rats, for which i use .22.

i push out to about 55 yards max with the .177 on rabbits dependant on conditions, but that comes with LOTS of practice and knowing my gun very well.

i agree with mart46, you need to be consistent before pushing ranges, or you'll just end up maiming things and thats not on....

regards, brett :good:

Forget groups you get one shot, unranged with only your estimate on the wind. The 10p mentioned is about the size but you must be able to hit it first time with but 1 shot at it in many locations. :good:

as kent says forget groups if you got some woods on your permission take half a dozen 10p size paper targets with you and use a drawing pin to pin to 6 different trees at various ranges and hights from 20-40yards away and when you can hit all 6 then your good to go hunting and when you can hit all 6 pins in 6 shots then you will be as good as some of the other shooters on this site lol me not included

colin

as kent says forget groups if you got some woods on your permission take half a dozen 10p size paper targets with you and use a drawing pin to pin to 6 different trees at various ranges and hights from 20-40yards away and when you can hit all 6 then your good to go hunting and when you can hit all 6 pins in 6 shots then you will be as good as some of the other shooters on this site lol me not included

colin

I'm not having a go here, and I've done it many a time in the past, but I have also seen the results of people using living trees as backstops for zeroing,.................... try and find something else as a backstop or target stand!

:good::good:

Forget groups you get one shot, unranged with only your estimate on the wind. The 10p mentioned is about the size but you must be able to hit it first time with but 1 shot at it in many locations. :good:

True it's just a break barrel av got so 1 shot is all I get

Correct all round, but groups are essential just the same, it shows that both you, the rifle and pellets are capable of accurate and repeatable shots.

Would you be happy shooting at anything alive if all you could get was a shotgun group at 25 yards? :hmm::no:

^totally agreed^

imho, if you cant get good groups, dont shoot live quarry.

people might not agree with my opinion, buts thats up to them. i just wouldnt do it. :rolleyes:

Yes sort of agree, it tests the ammo and gun are up to the job- it dont realy prove the shooter, though a good shooter should always manage it with a good rig and ammo. The real skill and the one that takes time to learn is judging range, wind and the correct hold for the first and only shot.

If you look at FT this is colloberated, evert single shooter in a comp should be more than capable of putting ten out of ten shots in a 40mm group at the full 55yds. When faced with making that single shot at the 40mm disc though many miss, give them a second go though and most of the good ones nail it, the reason they missed was wrong windage or wrong range