looking for permission

Will 1994

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will, what are you asking for and how are you asking? Going back twenty years I shot and ferreted around Frodsham and Helsby which wouldn't be a million miles away from you, used to be an hours drive for me. I was only shooting air rifle but had several small farms close to each other, can't remember why I ended up there just did. Lots of knocking and asking around but I was happy with what I got.

The beating route is definitely the other good way to go, you'll meet like minded folk have a good laugh and hopefully get some shooting out of it.

Also can you not join a syndicate? There are always diy ones about?

Mice

Cheers mate Ill try find something even if it is just abit of bearing !

Will

Five years is a long time without any positive results Will , you really need to take a different look at the way you have been going about it .

When you are knocking on a door , are you by your self ? , have you seen a crop on the farm where pigeons / corvids are doing damage ? , have the land got a full time keeper , if so , he is the one to see , have you got any skills you can offer, can you tell one crop from another, do you drive and could you drive a tractor if ever asked , remember Will , you have got to go out and look for it as it wont be looking for you .

There must be plenty of shoots near you , or within a few miles where you can put your name down for beating , try two or three and whoever contact you first then stick with them , take the odd day off if the day of the shoot was during the week and if you can attend every one then I bet you will be on the first rung of the ladder ,

If you don't know where the shoots are , try calling in the game dealers near you and ask them if any shoots near you bring there game in to sell , have a word with him and he might put you on to some , if he do , start ringing up as the Pheasant shooting is all about to start there main days , GOOD LUCK and keep trying

Five years is a long time without any positive results Will , you really need to take a different look at the way you have been going about it .

When you are knocking on a door , are you by your self ? , have you seen a crop on the farm where pigeons / corvids are doing damage ? , have the land got a full time keeper , if so , he is the one to see , have you got any skills you can offer, can you tell one crop from another, do you drive and could you drive a tractor if ever asked , remember Will , you have got to go out and look for it as it wont be looking for you .

There must be plenty of shoots near you , or within a few miles where you can put your name down for beating , try two or three and whoever contact you first then stick with them , take the odd day off if the day of the shoot was during the week and if you can attend every one then I bet you will be on the first rung of the ladder ,

If you don't know where the shoots are , try calling in the game dealers near you and ask them if any shoots near you bring there game in to sell , have a word with him and he might put you on to some , if he do , start ringing up as the Pheasant shooting is all about to start there main days , GOOD LUCK and keep trying

This is good advice. Beating opens many many doors. It's all about networking and getting to know a keeper and fellow beaters is the way forward. If you have a dog offer to help a keeper dogging in, you will then be top of his list for shooting opportunity 👍 Edited by ips

Also can you not join a syndicate? There are always diy ones about?

Mice

This ^.

Throughout the country there are syndicates ranging from £100 up to £20,000 allowing you shooting all year round.

You may need to travel, but the access is out there.

Hi guys

Thanks for all the info Ive recently come out of the merchant navy so that took two years of my life and currently training as a petro chemical engineer for essar ( formerly shell ). When knocking on doors I have been on my own yes but dressed appropriately etc. I will not give up I know I will eventually find something , Ill try get my name down for as many things as I can. But it will more than likely be for next season now no doubt ?

Thanks will

I do a lot more air rifle shooting atm as Ive got a brand new HW100KT. So hopefully asking just to start on rats etc might get my foot in the door .

Do you have an shooting clubs near you at all, I'd recommend looking!

I've phoned, face to face, sent letters and all sorts for the past few months with no joy, I've looked into and decided i'll now be joining a local wild fowling club that have several thousand acres of shooting perms and lease some inland lakes etc. for flight ponds (wild fowling isn't their main activity these days). They also get invited to game days which work out very cheap.

It's not actually expensive £140 a year including BASC insurance (so £70 a year), I just want to get out there and with the amount of time It takes finding land owners talking to them and finding they already have some it's not worth investing any more of my time and I'm sure it will be a great opportunity to find more local perms.

I have a couple of perms down in the Cotswolds through the Father in Law one which is good as a duck shoot and the other is on an estate that runs a syndicate so Feb-Sept only for shooting. Not Ideal as it's 2.5/3 hours away so I want something closer to home for the evenings and days without having to have a weekend away.

I feel your pain though I often hear shotguns clattering on the local land and wish i could just nip out in the car and shoot which is why I'm joining the club as there are perms within 30mins of me.

If you fancy a trip to Notts I'll give you a day or two, a map of the farm and fill your boots.

Not interested then. People would kill for this.

It wasn't a bad offer with a potential decent reference from a landowner.

Edited by kyska

Not to jump in on someones thread Kyska but if it's too far for the OP i'd kill for a day out with a fellow PW member! Nottingham lad myself, but don't let that put you off!

Be nice to get out!

Edited by evolution380

Thanks for the replies fellas, i might look into the wildfowling soon its right on my doorstep so might be a good idea! But for now I think Ill stick with the land owners for abit longer !

Will

If wildfowling is on your doorstep then you should have joined your local club five years ago when you first started knocking on doors , you say , you will stick with the land owners a bit longer , do you really want land to shoot on , or are you having us on .

That was a brilliant offer to a total stranger , what more do he want ?

Not to jump in on someones thread Kyska but if it's too far for the OP i'd kill for a day out with a fellow PW member! Nottingham lad myself, but don't let that put you off!

Be nice to get out!

Pssst...turn up at kyska's farm and tell him your Will from the Wirral ;)