Renewing SGC

ilovemyheckler

my current SGC certificate expires on 16 April 2012

I have applied for a renewl and the FAO came around today to check the serial number on my gun, ask some questions etc and then said that my new SGC would arrive in about 14 days and run from 16 April 2012.

However, he took my current license away and said that I would be ok to shoot at the places that have already inspected my SGC. What if I want to go somewhere new? Will I have to wait until my new SGC arrives?

The FAO said that I do not need to carry my original license around everywhere I go to shoot. He advised that I take a photo copy (with the address blanked out).

I had always thought that you had to take your original license with you.

Can anyone offer any advice comments?

I have applied for a renewl and the FAO came around today to check the serial number on my gun, ask some questions etc and then said that my new SGC would arrive in about 14 days and run from 16 April 2012.

However, he took my current license away and said that I would be ok to shoot at the places that have already inspected my SGC. What if I want to go somewhere new? Will I have to wait until my new SGC arrives?

The FAO said that I do not need to carry my original license around everywhere I go to shoot. He advised that I take a photo copy (with the address blanked out).

All a very grey area, west Mercia do the same only last time my FAC was in it took 14 months to come through. It is just about to go in again. I must say I carry on as normal, I pay for five years and shoot them.

atvb Paul.

The FAO said that I do not need to carry my original license around everywhere I go to shoot.

He advised that I take a photo copy (with the address blanked out). Good Advice, and remember to get plenty of shells in as you can't get any with your photo copy.. :good:

If you hold a licence valid to a specific date then carrying a copy will do you.This may get sticky if you havnt got your new licence on 17 april.

Any questions can be answered with a phone call.

I have without exception never been asked for my licence when i go to shoot at a clay ground,only when wanting to purchase shells.

Haven't certificates got some sort of anti copying thing in them ? With all the computer wizards cutting and pasting could it be easy to make your own licence ? Scary thought.

I recall it being mentioned in a thread on here not long ago about photocopying certificates and they having FRAUD written over them.

It didn't happen with scanners so yes, I think they can easily be forged - of course a camera would work too.

That's why the police are so keen that if you lose a certificate (i.e if you think you may have dropped it in the street) that you notify them immediately. I think you are required to notify them in writing within 7 days, but really they want a phone call that day.

I was told by my FEO that if they get lost people can put another photo on, and go buy guns/ammo with them. If they know about a lost certificate then I think they can ensure that it gets flagged up in some way if someone tries to buy a gun with it. Won't work with every gun shop or face to face but it's better than nothing.

The thought of someone using a cert to buy guns and ammo is not one I like.

Onefulham - its called a Shotgun Certificate and you are right about the antifraud. I remember copying mine several years ago and the copy did come out with Fraud all over it. Not sure if this is still the case witht he new ones.

FAO also said that if your new certificate hasn't arrived by the time your old one expires you cannot keep your gun/s and need to take them to a RFD and ask (and pay) for them to store them until your new certificate arrives.

Being without a certificate isn't a good thing, hopefully it won't be too long. You don't need it to shoot at most places but you may not be able to shoot at some new places. Nor can you buy ammo if the gun shop selling it wants to see the cert.

I personally don't go shooting without the certificate for that type of gun (SGC or FAC) as I shouldn't need it but if you get stopped by the police it could make things easier - they may even take the guns if they aren't satisfied that you hold a certificate.

Interestingly, my father applied for a FAC variation some time ago, and was speaking to the FLD before sending it in and he asked about how long it would take regarding him purchasing ammo in the meantime as he wasn't at maximum capacity but had a couple of hundred too many to buy another brick.

Amazingly the FLD told him he could buy more ammo to see him through the variation period, even though doing so is taking him above what his certificate allows!

Hi All,I Posted my renewal application off on the 13/02/2012 . They stamped the receipt and posted the envelope on the same day 14/02/2012 .Today i received my new certificate . They have said that i shall be having my visit by the feo at alater date. In all the years that i have held a certificate i have never had one back as quick . Now that is good service, well done West Mercia .

There is no legal requirement to hand back your old certificate! if you put your gun into a gunshop you will be unable to get it back out unless you can show a sgc valid for the date you are there. This happened to me when I went to put my guns into storage at my local RFD we signed the guns in but when he checked my cert he said this is not valid it had a date for the next week so the advice now is Keep your cert till it expires then give them it back I would be happier shreding it that way it cant fall into the wrong hands.

So where do you stand if your certificate has run out and you still havent recieved the new one do you have to do as previously mentioned and store them with a RFD or can you still keep them in your own cabinet as its not really your fault that its ran out as long as you put in for the new cert in plenty of time.

So where do you stand if your certificate has run out and you still havent recieved the new one do you have to do as previously mentioned and store them with a RFD or can you still keep them in your own cabinet as its not really your fault that its ran out as long as you put in for the new cert in plenty of time.

They can issue a temp one but its a much work as a full one so many will try not to. For carts just take a mate who has SGC if desperate.

Onefulham - its called a Shotgun Certificate and you are right about the antifraud. I remember copying mine several years ago and the copy did come out with Fraud all over it. Not sure if this is still the case witht he new ones.

FAO also said that if your new certificate hasn't arrived by the time your old one expires you cannot keep your gun/s and need to take them to a RFD and ask (and pay) for them to store them until your new certificate arrives.

tell them to **** off. demand a temporary licence, i think there section 7 permit or something.