Pet dog shot for chasing chickens.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid owner BUT he saw it worrying his hen, yet it didn't kill it or any others. The guy is on very shakey ground with that one as it could hardly be said there was no other way of stopping it. Exactly how hard is it for a Bedlington to nail a flightless bird if it wanted to kill it? :hmm:

Well, I've had chickens and one day a dog did come onto my land and attack several of them. Fortunately they all survived, but I can certainly understand why someone would shoot in that situation, they can do a lot of damage.

If dog owners would go down the very simple route of basic training their dogs these situations wouldn't occur.

Shooting a pet dog is always a very emotive subject . A few years ago I was approached by the local council via the police to help to shoot four dogs that were running wild in a rural parish in Norfolk . The four dogs were feral lurchers and were hunting in a pack and pulling deer and sheep down and killing any thing that they could eat . The story was that they had been abandoned by gypsies ,which was very plausible . I turned up at the spot where they had last made a kill . It took me about one hour to locate them . I shot the first one as soon as I saw them and the other three with in the next 2 hours . They were not hard to find and not hard to shoot as they were still basically pet dogs with no fear of humans . I did not enjoy the experience of shooting the dogs as I am a dog lover . Unfortunately this outcome for the dogs was inevitable . Incidently the police had tried to shoot them but couldn't either find them or couldn't get close enough .

Harnser .

My lil lurcher is a whippet x bedlington but takes after his terrier dad quite strongly. At 8 months he is wilful and strong minded, but a really smashing dog with bags of potential and an early liking for the lamp. Without distractions he will recall quite well. With distraction of other playful dogs he'll return easily 60% of the time but I'm still working on the rest of the time!. It's quite upsetting to see a similar dog shot and I know that heart-sinking moment when he goes thro a hedge and doesn't come back straight away. I have a tiny bit of land and have often thought of keeping chickens. I'm not overly sentimental but from a purely personal perspective I can't imagine a situation where I'd shoot a dog for hen worrying rather than bill the owner handsomely for each chuck carcass/wound, Tough call but I feel for Archie and owners.

I like how they all mention warning shots(forgot to add, they say into the air), they don't realise what goes up must come down, which is a danger in itself. Hope the farmer gets on ok, I'd of done the same if that was my livelihood and profit on the line. And I have a soft spot for dogs, and love them to bits. There either on there lead or trained, simple as that.

Edited by dan-250

Back to the same old rubbish with the anti's. Get basic control of your dog and this type of thing wont happen. The dog was out of control chasing his free range chickens. When will the OWNERS of these dogs realise that basic trainig would solve a lot of issues like these.

There is a bloke that walks round my way (very built up) with a rotty off the lead, nothing to do with the breed but does he really have control of the dog ?? reading some of the comments on that news site just shows the mental

Aptitude of some of them :yes:

Edited by mpk

ok, no chickens were harmed, yet. If the farmer hadnt of got his gun, how many COULD have been harmed?

And there is now way that if a a dozen of his hens had been killed that he would see any money for them. and then it would take a while for new hens to be reared and laying.

Yes its a shame, but it was a predator in that situation at the end of the day, if it had been a fox, noone would blink an eye.

Dan-250 don't forget a warning shot could go into the ground 6ft in front of you. You don't have to put it in the air.

Harry

The comments on the post was saying into the air, was ment to mean they don't know half about how to have/own a gun before saying he shouldn't be allowed one. As I think there was a story not long back of a rifle shot going into the air and killing a girl around 2 miles away on a horse.

I could not think of a dog that looks less like a fox!!! Shame its happened and sympathise with the owners but can fully understand why the farmer shot it.

I think its important to remember by owning working dogs we train our dogs to do everything as they are told when they are told, the recall is the most important thing we train our dogs and the environment they work in does not tolerate mistakes easily. Dogs as pets are not normally trained to the same standard (not saying this is right or wrong) chances are this dog could have gone for years without causing any trouble to any one or any animals he just walked into the wrong field on the wrong day. I leave my dogs with my chickens and never had any problems all mine do is play with them, my collie rounds the up my springer pup runs around them trying to pounce on them but never hurt them.

As a sheep farmer who once kept many thousands of free range chickens I feel I can comment.

Shooting someones pet should be the very last resort. In my view it is plain stupid and irresponsible to shoot a pet dog for killing a couple of hens let alone chasing one.

As a farmer and a member of the local community one has to live and get on with people and I can assure you it's not worth falling out with everyone for the sake of a hen.

Dogs worrying livestock is a civil matter and if I was the dogs owner I would be taking action for damages in the court against this daft twerp of a hobby farmer who, in my opinion, was just trying to make a point against all dog walkers.

I should add that no commercial poultry farmer would keep his flock on unfenced land.

As a sheep farmer who once kept many thousands of free range chickens I feel I can comment.

Shooting someones pet should be the very last resort. In my view it is plain stupid and irresponsible to shoot a pet dog for killing a couple of hens let alone chasing one.

As a farmer and a member of the local community one has to live and get on with people and I can assure you it's not worth falling out with everyone for the sake of a hen.

Dogs worrying livestock is a civil matter and if I was the dogs owner I would be taking action for damages in the court against this daft twerp of a hobby farmer who, in my opinion, was just trying to make a point against all dog walkers.

I should add that no commercial poultry farmer would keep his flock on unfenced land.

Best answer so far CharlieT, i think the bloke knew it was a dog and probably knew the owner, you don't shoot anything unless you can identify it 1st so the statement he made about he thought it was a fox was rubbish and he was trying to cover up his wrong doings, this was a malicious act in my eyes and the bloke shouldn't have a firearms license

Best answer so far CharlieT, i think the bloke knew it was a dog and probably knew the owner, you don't shoot anything unless you can identify it 1st so the statement he made about he thought it was a fox was rubbish and he was trying to cover up his wrong doings, this was a malicious act in my eyes and the bloke shouldn't have a firearms license

he thorght it was a fox at first glance, grabbed the gun and then realised it was a dog. i say he did the right thing. i would of if a dog was chasing my chickens. theres a couple of responsible dog owners who think its ok to walk there dogs of the lead with no control over the animal, up to the wood were i keep my chickens. even after repeated warnings that they shouldn't be on private land and there is snares set all around. they still come down with the dog of the lead. they have been told if the dog enters the wood its unlikely to come back out breathing if it gets in a snare.

Sad but there are far too many people who think they can go where they want and do what they want when they are walking their dogs. The law says that you should keep your dog under proper control yet you see examples everyday where the potential for it to go wrong is there. My uncle has a farm which has a narrow right of way through the fields, we are constantly telling dog owners to keep their dogs on a lead as there are horses and livestock in the fields,, normally we just get abuse and right to roam **** I wouldn't think twice about despatching a dog that was causing issues.

Maybe a warning shot into the floor would have been appropriate but who's to say in that spilt second a chicken could have been killed. The farmer has a right to protect his property regardless of the dogs percieved extra value over the chicken.

If they loved their dog so much they would have had it on a lead. Dog owners are responsible for their dogs action and the minority who spoil it need to start acting like it.

Cockercas is right..... read the quote propperly :

"Initially I thought it was a fox so I got my shotgun and then saw it was a dog"

I would of done the same. am a dog lover but sadly joe public just dont give 2 hoots and think just because they have a dog they can wonder off paths and over private propperty because they have a dog. Sorry but there are rules and that dog was on private land off a lead without permitiona nd attacking/ chasing the chickens and i dont belive a land owner should have to wait for damage or death to occur first before shooting!

Its a simple failing on the dog owners behalf ! The gun owners sight is fine and his gun is leagally held ! so the antis and upset fellow posters on that site need to wind there necks in and learn from this hard lesson !

Not a position i would ever like to be in how ever i think its pretty simple, keep dogs on leads and stay off private land and you shouldnt have any issues ! :good: