smk xs78

Ryan gun

If you can remove and polish the internals they will go well over 12 ft/lb especially in .22

I made a silencer by reaming out a BAM slip on silencer so that it fitted over the barrel. It had no effect on performance but made it a lot quieter.

Put Chinese airgun forum into a search engine and you'll find people to help you tune the rifle.

I have one. They advertise around 10 ft/lbs, its slightly lower in cold weather ( unnavoidable with co2 ) , but from memory mine wasnt far off ( more than 9 and a half) in the summer when i bought it.

Really is worth taking it appart and having a fiddle if you can get at a crono, as in .22 they can jump over the limit very quickly and .177 can jump pretty quickly with only minor modifications. If you are looking to buy one, check out; chinease airgun forum, charliedatuna, and also there are a few youtube videos.

For aftermarket parts, try rowan engieneering, there are some others but i cannot remember their names of the top of my head.

Silencers work pretty effectively from my experience, used the smk made one and a weirauch thing i was given, both work very well and reduce the report considerably in my experience, i like the gun, im on a budget or i would be jumping at something a few hundred quid more.

Tip, buy Welshwarriors, it has been tuned and modded, save yourself time and money!

Hi RJ,i have just finisher tuning my SMK QB78 it was given to me,i have polisher the hammer,and the trigger sheers.I have also drilled the pellet probe removed the filter from the pot.I can expect around 11 fp with 14gram pellets and around 50 shots per CO2 fill.

That is going to be slower than a very slow, slow thing on a very cold, cold day! Sure you do not mean a 14 Grain pellet, hell of a weight difference between 14 grain and 14 grams.

Last time I looked there was a moderator for them on the Sportsmarketing website, and generally 8-9ft lb if you get lucky!

If you get 10ft lb, then do the lottery this week!

8 to 9 ft/lb might be the out of the box, but tuned they can easily go over the legal limit. A guy tuned mine and it was just under 12 ft/lb until the power petered off.

8 to 9 ft/lb might be the out of the box, but tuned they can easily go over the legal limit. A guy tuned mine and it was just under 12 ft/lb until the power petered off.

I was that guy!

These CO2 guns are diamonds in the rough and can be made into sweet hunting rifles. CO2 is affected by cold weather but less so when tuned for winter shooting. You will, however get a smaller shot count. Personally I prefer the QB79 as you can refill the external bottle with a cheap supply of CO2. I refill my own 88g's for a measly 35p which gives me about 120 shots in .22 during the Summer and a .177 will give about 90 shots. The 79 is also easy to convert to HPA by use of a 850psi regulated air bottle from RAP4. Be careful though as the change to air gives an immediate increase in power of 4ft/lbs. This is the best way to power up a .177 which are difficult to tune for CO2, most of them 'out of the box' giving about 7.5ft/lbs. If you are going down the HPA route don't tune the gun first; tune it AFTER you fitted the HPA bott6le and chrono'd it. The .22 'out of the box' can give about 9.5ft/lbs so be careful with the tuning as it;s just far too easy to go illegal with the .22. Whatever you decide to do NEVER embark on airgun tuning without access to a chrono and do read. all the advice you can get from those who are experienced with these guns. Once you have one of these little gems and tuned it you will be hooked and they are as accurate as any other gun especially .177 on HPA. I shoot HFT with a .177 AR2079 and managed a bit of Silverware. I rate it as accurate as my AA S400 and my BSA Ultra though some people will disagree vehemently. Mind you most of the 'knockers' have never shot a fettled 78/79. For the money you just cannot go wrong and it's a cheap introduction to recoiless shooting especially for the Summer and any gun that brings new shooters to our sport is fine by me.

Below is my dioptre sighted qb79. It is shown with a refillable 88g CO2 but it now shoots HPA via a Myth regulated 13cu inch bottle.

post-8963-0-28623400-1330446320.jpg

Edited by Biffo1262

I was that guy!

These CO2 guns are diamonds in the rough and can be made into sweet hunting rifles. CO2 is affected by cold weather but less so when tuned for winter shooting. You will, however get a smaller shot count. Personally I prefer the QB79 as you can refill the external bottle with a cheap supply of CO2. I refill my own 88g's for a measly 35p which gives me about 120 shots in .22 during the Summer and a .177 will give about 90 shots. The 79 is also easy to convert to HPA by use of a 850psi regulated air bottle from RAP4. Be careful though as the change to air gives an immediate increase in power of 4ft/lbs. This is the best way to power up a .177 which are difficult to tune for CO2, most of them 'out of the box' giving about 7.5ft/lbs. If you are going down the HPA route don't tune the gun first; tune it AFTER you fitted the HPA bott6le and chrono'd it. The .22 'out of the box' can give about 9.5ft/lbs so be careful with the tuning as it;s just far too easy to go illegal with the .22. Whatever you decide to do NEVER embark on airgun tuning without access to a chrono and do read. all the advice you can get from those who are experienced with these guns. Once you have one of these little gems and tuned it you will be hooked and they are as accurate as any other gun especially .177 on HPA. I shoot HFT with a .177 AR2079 and managed a bit of Silverware. I rate it as accurate as my AA S400 and my BSA Ultra though some people will disagree vehemently. Mind you most of the 'knockers' have never shot a fettled 78/79. For the money you just cannot go wrong and it's a cheap introduction to recoiless shooting especially for the Summer and any gun that brings new shooters to our sport is fine by me.

Below is my dioptre sighted qb79. It is shown with a refillable 88g CO2 but it now shoots HPA via a Myth regulated 13cu inch bottle.

I love it when you talk dirty :sly:

They are an inexpensive route to a full power air weapon, I am NOT remotely technical/hands on but with the advice of guys like Biffo I stripped mine for tuning in under an hour on Monday night.

My only warning: once you start playing with these guns and realise the potential, it gets very addictive!

ATB

D

• 5 years later...

Ok guys, Bear in mind that mine is a .177. I spent a lot of time and took it apart more than once. Even with ALL suggestions completed it still only generates 9.10 ft/lbs using a 9.2 grain pellet. Every port has been aligned, every rough edge taken away, every bit polished until they gleam and every seal replaced with the best poly ones.

All that is left to do is to fit a TR Robb kit which should arrive tomorrow.

I will post again once it is fitted to my other XS79 .177 and see where that leads.

:lol:

• 1 year later...

Kit now fitted plus used poly o rings instead of the standard nitrile and its well up on power at 11.2 but the shot count has lessened considerably. Accuracy was unaffected.

Also now bought 2 of the 88 to 12 gr converters to save losing CO2 on low shot count shoots.

That will do for me. (for now anyway)

Excellent little rifles if you enjoy tinkering with stuff. Here's one I went the other way with. Fitted a 6mm smoothbore tube and greatly reduced hammer spring, get about 250 shots per fill shooting the 6mm plastic airsoft balls - Grandsons loved it but now it's back to full power.

Ashampoo_Snap_13 August 2018_23h04m41s_002_.png

• 4 weeks later...