Ringed Pigeons

Mark,

Most of the large ornithology groups/museums ring woodies on a regular basis for research purposes, I'm sure this is what Hunterswind is referring to.

I have a couple of these rings in front of me...just wish I knew how to post a photo! :*)

What is the "situation" if you shoot a racing pigeon ?

Could you be prosecuted ?

I know you can,t mistake them in a group, when they are in "racing mode".

They don,t look like wood pigeons, they don,t stop, come to decoys etc. so there is no excuse for shooting them.

But, I suppose a few get shot, when they "run away" and join up with the ferals.

But why return the rings ?

In those circumstances, I wouldn,t think the owners would care where they were.

Any pigeon owners know the answer ?

MY GAME DEALER IS AN AVID PIGEON FANCIER. ONE TURNS UP IN THE BAG FROM TIME TO TIME (ITALIANS) AS HE SAY'S TO ME, IF THEY LAND IN AMONGST DECOYS THEY HAVE PROBABLY GONE FERAL, AND THEY ARE NOT WORTH THEIR SALT ANYWAY...

HOWEVER, IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO SHOOT A RACING PIGEON (KNOWINGLY)

IF MISTAKES ARE MADE, BETTER TO GET RID OF THEM STRAIGHT AWAY (RABBIT HOLE) THAN TO DRAW ANY ATTENTION...

ALL THE VERY BEST...

GARY...

Thats OK then as ive got an ongoing Feral job and ive taken the odd ringer out too by accident.

When your sniping them and you can only see head and neck its difficult to know until they are on their backs with legs ( and rings ) in the air.

Luckily it has only happened twice ! :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

BEEN A KEEN PIGEON SHOOTER AND A KEEPER OF PIGEONS I KNOW THAT YOU CANT SHOOT A RACER WHILST FLYING BUT YOU CAN ON THE GROUND (how would anyone know?) IVE SHOT PLENTY I CUT THERE RINGS OFF AND FEED THE BIRD TO THE FERRETS!! ONCE THEY HANG AROUND WITH FERALS THEY AINT WORTH A TOSS! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I always send the rings in to one of the homing organisations. My great grandad used to race them and always appreciated knowing if they were dead. (used to shoot plenty of ferals too, mind) Racers which have got mixed up with ferals aren't much good as you say, but it's still useful to know this when planning breeding programmes.

Woodies reared in captivity are unlikely to survive. Should have kept them for the pot!

Sorry to P*** on anyones fireworks here but as a pigeon shooter who has in my time brought down the odd ringed ex racer, I would like to pass onto you a cautionary tale that I know not, if true but has an interest to me training to be a lawyer an all :lol::lol:

The story goes like this:

A "friend" shot, quite by accident, a racing pigeon that had turned feral, he knew this, as he had seen it from time to time around the farm with the others over a period of time. It was shot and when he noticed the said bird had a ring, the respectful and honourable shot returned the ring to the rightful owner.

Appreciative to be informed of his pigeons demise............... NO!!

As the story goes, the owner claimed the said bird was his best racing pigeon, the winner of many a race and was worth thousands, he claimed the shot was liable and received threats of legal action if he did not pay compensation to the owner.

Now we all know the truth, as did the owner, but given the way our legal system works, the shot would have been hard pressed to prove otherwise and may well, dependant on the circumstances, have been held liable in a court and found guilty.

It is not my intention to spread alarm or indeed to generalise and say all pigeon fanciers are devious and corrupt, they are not but like all sports and walks of life they have there rotten apples just like us and I for one, as much as I would like to notify the owner of the pigeon of his properties whereabouts I would not just in case.

Perhaps we should lobby our organisational representatives to reach agreement with the pigeon fanciers society for immunity from prosecution if the event occurs? Then we would through anominity inform them of their loss.