Nitesite NS200 any good

bunnybasher84

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be a 'marmite' system for some. I have an ns200 and love it though. Some people have complained about the screen brightness possibly spooking your quarry but in practice ive not had this happen although an easy fix is to use some orange camera filter. The supplied battery is fairly bulky but gives six hours running time on the ns200 and powers the screen and the onboard i.r. I also have a much smaller cctv battery ( cost £15.99 off the bay) which i just attach to my stock eliminating the trailing wire. The supplied rubber dsa's do the job but a better option according to another ns200 user is the cobra/merlin dsa which although not cheap makes a rock solid mount for the camera to the back of your scope.

Ive used my ns200 for ratting at up to 30yds and shot rabbits 80yds+ at night but spotted rabbits and fox in excess of 180yds. This system for me is ideal as its very easy to interchange the system between all my rifles.

1329498856626.jpg

Yeah let us know mate, can I ask what rifle you got it mounted on

Cheers

It's on my Sako 75 22-250. The scope is a Kahles 3-12x56. I did'nt have any luck last night, although I did see a fox legging it across the field. Tests so far have shown that I can see targets at 170 yards, and this is not on full IR power. There is some light that reflects back into your face from the monitor, but I've made a filter, from coloured acetate sheet,to fit over it. The designers of the NiteSite are in the process of testing different materials, in view of producing a clip on filter, which will then be offered for sale.

I have found that the thicker the reticule on the scope, the better you can see them. Some of my scopes have very fine reticules towards the centre, but I can still see them okay.

Using the NiteSite is virtually a case of 'point and shoot'.

Anyone who would like to see my NiteSite set up, is more than welcome to pay a visit to me.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, would you say you'd prefer it to the lamp then?

I would say the lamp & NV are both good. NV is better when you have put bait down at a given distance, and you wait for the fox to turn up. With the NiteSite, you can however, scan the area and look for a fox/rabbit, but this is better done with a lamp.

I take both lamp and NV when I go out. Sometimes I revert back to the lamp, and try and get a fox in the normal way.

i bought mine at the show ns200 i can see rabbits at 150 yds pictures quiet hazey .not a prayer of seeing them at 200 may see a hint of an eye but no rabbit shape.cant fault it out to 80 yds but if i turn the mag up to 14 at say 140 yds the rabbit disappears turn the mag back to say 9 and i can make the rabbit out ok.i'm using leupold mk4 skopes so the scope is good.from what i have seen so far if i saw eyes at 180 yds i would not be able to say fox or someones dog.the reason i have put this out there is incase mines faulty or perhaps it should be called the ns 120.great for filming in the day and perhaps a stronger ir at night might help.it appears mine is the first iffy review but i shoot centerfire rifles and most you tube vids are air rifle shooters and for air rifle ranges its great.head shots on rabbits at 160 yards when you have to turn the mag down to see them is going to be a challenge yet with a lamp no problem 25 x mag.will update as i go on but so far it left me disappointed at longer range.mike

I've not tried mine with the hmr yet but I don't tend to shoot stuff beyond 100 yards even with the lamp so it should be fine.

To the previous poster, have you ensured the camera is correctly focused (fine tuning is best done at night) and have you any parallax adjustment on your loopy?

Edited by mick miller

Thanks for the info - keep it coming ! At the min I'm not convinced this unit is for me but it has me captivated for some reason :hmm:-probably the price :yes:

It's coming up to the end of the NV season as it were, and a few new products are coming to the market soon. Digital is coming of age with a lot of competing producers looking for an edge - which means a mini price war is on the horizon. I'm not saying don't spend yet but if you are not convinced the 'head up' looking at a lcd monitor is for you then it might be prudent to wait a while longer and see what's become available, tested and reviewed as next winter approaches.

It's coming up to the end of the NV season as it were, and a few new products are coming to the market soon. Digital is coming of age with a lot of competing producers looking for an edge - which means a mini price war is on the horizon. I'm not saying don't spend yet but if you are not convinced the 'head up' looking at a lcd monitor is for you then it might be prudent to wait a while longer and see what's become available, tested and reviewed as next winter approaches.

Know exactly what you mean ;) .

Doing lots of Research atm ahead of purchase :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: doing my best to get it right 1st time

Know exactly what you mean ;) .

Doing lots of Research atm ahead of purchase :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: doing my best to get it right 1st time

If you have any kind of Blue peter in you, you can build a 'homebrew B&W NiteSite' for under £300, The largest cost being the IR illuminator. The digital homebrew shopping list is available on the nv section of the BBS.

I had, and used, a Cobra Merlin NV monocular with day scope adapter, for about 18 months. This was an excellent bit of kit. The only reason I sold it, was because to get the very best from it, I had to use parallax adjustable scopes. As 99% of my scopes were not PA, that meant I had to change the scope on my .243 (S&B Zenith) and fit a cheaper PA adjustable one. To use the Cobra on the many different caliber rifles that I own, meant changing the scopes on these as well. It proved too much for me, and I reluctantly sold the Cobra.

If I wanted a dedicated NV rifle, then I would have bought a NV scope similar to the Titan etc. But as I wanted an NV set up to use for ratting, right through to fox control, I looked into buying the NiteSite NS200. I am still in the process of evaluating it, as I have'nt had much chance to try it out under 'hunting' conditions. So far, I have been pleased with my findings, although there are a few issues that need looking into.

The main one is the amount of light reflected back into my face when using the NS with full IR power. I am experimenting with making filters to reduce the glare, and early tests have proved positive. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the company who produce the NS, are themselves,looking at developing their own filter that can be attatched to the monitor. I am hoping to try the NS out again tonight, and will make note of my findings. I have a good friend in America, who is very interested in buying one, and has asked me for my honest opinion.

I intend to use my NS on my FAC air rifle/ .17HMR / .22LR and my .22-250. I don't think I'll use it on my .243, although the manufacturers have confirmed (to me) that the NS will be handle the recoil of a .243, provided the rifle is moderated etc.

Hopefully, this set up will suit all my needs, and I won't have to go and buy any more NV equipment ( :rolleyes: )

Steve.