Nitesite NS200 any good

bunnybasher84

i bought mine at the show ns200 i can see rabbits at 150 yds pictures quiet hazey .not a prayer of seeing them at 200 may see a hint of an eye but no rabbit shape.cant fault it out to 80 yds but if i turn the mag up to 14 at say 140 yds the rabbit disappears turn the mag back to say 9 and i can make the rabbit out ok.i'm using leupold mk4 skopes so the scope is good.from what i have seen so far if i saw eyes at 180 yds i would not be able to say fox or someones dog.the reason i have put this out there is incase mines faulty or perhaps it should be called the ns 120.great for filming in the day and perhaps a stronger ir at night might help.it appears mine is the first iffy review but i shoot centerfire rifles and most you tube vids are air rifle shooters and for air rifle ranges its great.head shots on rabbits at 160 yards when you have to turn the mag down to see them is going to be a challenge yet with a lamp no problem 25 x mag.will update as i go on but so far it left me disappointed at longer range.mike

just to add spoke to tom at night sight today and he told me a few things to try.if they don't work and i'm not happy i can have a refund.so good on them at least you can buy with confidence.i'm going out sat with it so shall report back.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had, and used, a Cobra Merlin NV monocular with day scope adapter, for about 18 months. This was an excellent bit of kit. The only reason I sold it, was because to get the very best from it, I had to use parallax adjustable scopes. As 99% of my scopes were not PA, that meant I had to change the scope on my .243 (S&B Zenith) and fit a cheaper PA adjustable one. To use the Cobra on the many different caliber rifles that I own, meant changing the scopes on these as well. It proved too much for me, and I reluctantly sold the Cobra.

If I wanted a dedicated NV rifle, then I would have bought a NV scope similar to the Titan etc. But as I wanted an NV set up to use for ratting, right through to fox control, I looked into buying the NiteSite NS200. I am still in the process of evaluating it, as I have'nt had much chance to try it out under 'hunting' conditions. So far, I have been pleased with my findings, although there are a few issues that need looking into.

The main one is the amount of light reflected back into my face when using the NS with full IR power. I am experimenting with making filters to reduce the glare, and early tests have proved positive. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the company who produce the NS, are themselves,looking at developing their own filter that can be attatched to the monitor. I am hoping to try the NS out again tonight, and will make note of my findings. I have a good friend in America, who is very interested in buying one, and has asked me for my honest opinion.

I intend to use my NS on my FAC air rifle/ .17HMR / .22LR and my .22-250. I don't think I'll use it on my .243, although the manufacturers have confirmed (to me) that the NS will be handle the recoil of a .243, provided the rifle is moderated etc.

Hopefully, this set up will suit all my needs, and I won't have to go and buy any more NV equipment ( :rolleyes: )

Steve.

i would be interested to here how yours performs from 150 yds to 200 .how clear and if you can identify your targets ect.in my first trial the glare from the screen did not bother the rabbits.

Well.My planned trip out foxing, and using the NS200 did not go as intended. When I connected it all up, there was too much reflection off the scope. This can easily be sorted by wrapping some camo tape over the scope. So we (the poacher and me)decided to use my lamp instead. Not much about, but we did see 2 foxes, both with no backstops to them, so not shot available. We'll go back up soon, and try again. I can then reveal my findings regarding my NV.

Well.My planned trip out foxing, and using the NS200 did not go as planned. When I connected it all up, there was too much reflection off the scope. This can easily be sorted by wrapping some camo tape over the scope. So we (the poacher and me)decided to use my lamp instead. Not much about, but we did see 2 foxes, both with no backstops to them, so not shot available. We'll go back up soon, and try again. I can then reveal my findings regarding my NV.

Off the scope? I don't understand - could you see the infra red light shining onto the objective bell - or do you mean reflection off the sound mod into the scope?

Off the scope? I don't understand - could you see the infra red light shining onto the objective bell - or do you mean reflection off the sound mod into the scope?

I think the reflected light came off the IR light hitting the 56mm objective bell on the scope.The sound moderator has a neoprene sleeve on it. I'll find out when I wrap some camo tape around it, and try again.

I too have failed in my attempt to evaluate the NS200 on the hmr. Too much mist caused almost white out through the viewfinder, I'll try again soon on a clear night.

I still managed 6 headshot rabbits but only out to 50 yards, any further and the picture wasn't clear due to the mist.

I think the reflected light came off the IR light hitting the 56mm objective bell on the scope.The sound moderator has a neoprene sleeve on it. I'll find out when I wrap some camo tape around it, and try again.

You've lost me Steve, the scope can't see any IR that hits the outside of the bell mate. Youre not on about the LCD screen being too bright are you? Thats a well known issue, dealt with by taping some coloured filter gel over the screen to dim it a bit. Nick a pair of wifey's tights for now and slip a bit of leg over it - keeping the IR lens clear of course.

i bought mine at the show ns200 i can see rabbits at 150 yds pictures quiet hazey .not a prayer of seeing them at 200 may see a hint of an eye but no rabbit shape.cant fault it out to 80 yds but if i turn the mag up to 14 at say 140 yds the rabbit disappears turn the mag back to say 9 and i can make the rabbit out ok.i'm using leupold mk4 skopes so the scope is good.from what i have seen so far if i saw eyes at 180 yds i would not be able to say fox or someones dog.the reason i have put this out there is incase mines faulty or perhaps it should be called the ns 120.great for filming in the day and perhaps a stronger ir at night might help.it appears mine is the first iffy review but i shoot centerfire rifles and most you tube vids are air rifle shooters and for air rifle ranges its great.head shots on rabbits at 160 yards when you have to turn the mag down to see them is going to be a challenge yet with a lamp no problem 25 x mag.will update as i go on but so far it left me disappointed at longer range.mike

ok went out last night with the ns 200 and i stand by what i said about it not being great at 200 yds.would be interested if any one has tried an ir laser with one.that said it was so effective out to 150 its a keeper.my 17 hmr is zeroed at 100 so most of my shots were 120 0r less.reason is you cant be 100% the screen reticule is perfectly in line with the scope reticule so aiming over at long range is something i would rather avoid.irrelevant however as you can walk up on rabbits singing a merry tune make a cup of tea then watch them through the scope for a bit and shoot when your ready,they think you can't see them so they don't move.i found this takes all the preassure out of the shot.instead of hitting them with the lamp and shooting quick before they run you are looking at a perfectly calm rabbit going about its business.accuracy was improved and every shot was in the eye region.the rabbit never new what hit it and all the meat was good.great night out.we stopped at ten rabbits wich filled my needs and orders leaving plenty of sport for the next outing.i could have had 30 with ease.i also noticed that the rabbits all came back out quicker as we picked up at the end to minimise disturbance.it scored 8 out of ten last night and hit ten out of ten if i did my bit.cheers mike

ok went out last night with the ns 200 and i stand by what i said about it not being great at 200 yds.would be interested if any one has tried an ir laser with one.that said it was so effective out to 150 its a keeper.my 17 hmr is zeroed at 100 so most of my shots were 120 0r less.reason is you cant be 100% the screen reticule is perfectly in line with the scope reticule so aiming over at long range is something i would rather avoid.irrelevant however as you can walk up on rabbits singing a merry tune make a cup of tea then watch them through the scope for a bit and shoot when your ready,they think you can't see them so they don't move.i found this takes all the preassure out of the shot.instead of hitting them with the lamp and shooting quick before they run you are looking at a perfectly calm rabbit going about its business.accuracy was improved and every shot was in the eye region.the rabbit never new what hit it and all the meat was good.great night out.we stopped at ten rabbits wich filled my needs and orders leaving plenty of sport for the next outing.i could have had 30 with ease.i also noticed that the rabbits all came back out quicker as we picked up at the end to minimise disturbance.it scored 8 out of ten last night and hit ten out of ten if i did my bit.cheers mike

Hi Mike. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is'nt the monitor 'reticule' just a camera image of the scope reticule? I would have thought that even if the monitor is'nt sitting square on the scope, the reticule image should be spot on. I know one NS owner who has his monitor on the left side of his scope, and, although the image is the 'other way round', it's still accurate.

Steve.

You've lost me Steve, the scope can't see any IR that hits the outside of the bell mate. Youre not on about the LCD screen being too bright are you? Thats a well known issue, dealt with by taping some coloured filter gel over the screen to dim it a bit. Nick a pair of wifey's tights for now and slip a bit of leg over it - keeping the IR lens clear of course.

Yes mate, on reflection (no pun intended) I realised that later. I've made a filter for the monitor, which is just taped over the end. Not pretty, but should do the job. I'm waiting for a reply off the company regarding when they will be selling a clip on filter.

As for using my 'wifey's' tights, I'll have you know that I have some of my own, and the only leg I'll be slipping over, is mine over her's. :lol:

Hi Mike. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is'nt the monitor 'reticule' just a camera image of the scope reticule? I would have thought that even if the monitor is'nt sitting square on the scope, the reticule image should be spot on. I know one NS owner who has his monitor on the left side of his scope, and, although the image is the 'other way round', it's still accurate.

Steve.

good point.thanks for pointing that out my only excuse is i was out till 4 am and i'm as thick as **** :lol:

Hi Mike. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is'nt the monitor 'reticule' just a camera image of the scope reticule? I would have thought that even if the monitor is'nt sitting square on the scope, the reticule image should be spot on. I know one NS owner who has his monitor on the left side of his scope, and, althouygh the image is the 'other way round', it's still accurate.

Steve.

Hi he needs to turn the camera around aswell.

As above. Turn the camera to suit the screen rotation.

He did mention that when I was on the phone to him yesterday. A mate of mine in S West Virginia, is going to buy the NS200, and plans to have the monitor away from his scope. He shoots Coyotes through a window in his hunting lodge, and the scope is half way out of the window. He said he is going to fix the monitor on his bench, and point and shoot!

The manufacturers guarantee 'up to 200 yards' with the NS200,so it might be worth contacting them with your findings. I'm still waiting to test mine at various distances, but I have had good results at 152 yards so far.

Thanks for the info guys :good:

Sorry to the OP for the apparent thread Hi-jack - but all invaluable info for anyone thinking of purchasing one of the NS offerings

Not a problem like you said all good info, I'm staying quiet but I'm still reading all your thoughts on it. Keep em coming! :):)

dont think so mate,its off the screen onto your face i think,i think from reading steve_b_wales has got it sorted or nearly

Yes, all sorted now. The reflected light from the monitor, is a bit bright, when on full IR setting, but wearing a face veil etc stops 85% of it. There is a filter being developed for the NS, but I have made my own out of coloured acetate sheet. Only taped on at the moment, but I am working on making a cover for it as well.

The NS 50 & 200 should suit everyone's needs. I have yet to set up targets at known ranges, ie 150 -200 yards, but I know it will pick up larger sized quarry (fox) at 150 yards. It's a good bit of kit in my opinion. Not to be compared with the likes of the Archer etc, but good enough for the money. I also bought a small CCTV battery for mine (£15 off Ebay) which connects up, and gives almost 3 hours of useage before going flat.

Yes, all sorted now. The reflected light from the monitor, is a bit bright, when on full IR setting, but wearing a face veil etc stops 85% of it. There is a filter being developed for the NS, but I have made my own out of coloured acetate sheet. Only taped on at the moment, but I am working on making a cover for it as well.

The NS 50 & 200 should suit everyone's needs. I have yet to set up targets at known ranges, ie 150 -200 yards, but I know it will pick up larger sized quarry (fox) at 150 yards. It's a good bit of kit in my opinion. Not to be compared with the likes of the Archer etc, but good enough for the money. I also bought a small CCTV battery for mine (£15 off Ebay) which connects up, and gives almost 3 hours of useage before going flat.

Thanks for all this info you are sharing.

As I understand it at this stage:

OK to 150yds for fox using the built in IR illumination.

Fitted to your 22/250 and no problems with recoil.

Glare in your face from the screen can be 'dampened' with suitable filter. (plus face-veil to 'hide' yourself).

No problem with reflection from moderator causing glare in scope.

If this is correct then the range should be well extended by using a large lamp with IR filter?

I have a Clueson lamp fitted to my vehicle shooting rack with which I illuminate the bait area.

Presumably this extra IR light will increase the glare in my face?

It seems that the device really needs a variable brightness control for the screen.