Nitesite NS200 any good

bunnybasher84

Thanks for all this info you are sharing.

As I understand it at this stage:

OK to 150yds for fox using the built in IR illumination.

Fitted to your 22/250 and no problems with recoil.

Glare in your face from the screen can be 'dampened' with suitable filter. (plus face-veil to 'hide' yourself).

No problem with reflection from moderator causing glare in scope.

If this is correct then the range should be well extended by using a large lamp with IR filter?

I have a Clueson lamp fitted to my vehicle shooting rack with which I illuminate the bait area.

Presumably this extra IR light will increase the glare in my face?

It seems that the device really needs a variable brightness control for the screen.

The IR has 4 different levels of power. Obviously, the highest setting gives you the most IR output. But I have found, so far, that sometimes, the target looks better on a lower setting. When set on high, and the magnification on the scope is turned up high as well, the target looks 'white'

I used to use a Blaserlite with IR filter fitted to my scope, when using a Cobra Merlin. This was an excellent set up. You can use extra IR via an external source if you wish. although the manufacturers of the NiteSite stated that there was 'no need'.

I have an email off them stating that the NS can be used on a .243(with moderator) without causing damage to the camera/monitor.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out with the HMR last night and managed 8 rabbits for 9 shots, closest at around 60 yards, furthest around 90 yards. I could identify the eye shine and the outline of rabbits out to around 100+ yards but not 150+, certainly not when prone; when prone the light reflected back from the nearby grass and foliage substantially reduces the contrast in the distant portion, I can only describe this as a 'greying out' of the image.

I've yet to try it from an elevated position or with added illumination, I would imagine the image would be improved.

I can't fault it for my purposes though. Fox or rabbit head shot at sub 100 ranges is pretty much 90% of my nighttime shooting so that'll do for me. I use a green acetate to dim the glare, although I didn't find that a problem at all with a face veil, a stock mounted DEBEN Li-Ion battery with a home-made adapter lead. The only other mods are that I use a Cobra/ Merlin DSA instead of the rubber sleeves along with a custom insert I had turned down from Acetal in order to marry up with the NS200 camera seamlessly.

Edited by mick miller

I went out with the HMR last night and managed 8 rabbits for 9 shots, closest at around 60 yards, furthest around 90 yards. I could identify the eye shine and the outline of rabbits out to around 100+ yards but not 150+, certainly not when prone; when prone the light reflected back from the nearby grass and foliage substantially reduces the contrast in the distant portion, I can only describe this as a 'greying out' of the image.

I've yet to try it from an elevated position or with added illumination, I would imagine the image would be improved.

I can't fault it for my purposes though. Fox or rabbit head shot at sub 100 ranges is pretty much 90% of my nighttime shooting so that'll do for me. I use a green acetate to dim the glare, although I didn't find that a problem at all with a face veil, a stock mounted DEBEN Li-Ion battery with a home-made adapter lead. The only other mods are that I use a Cobra/ Merlin DSA instead of the rubber sleeves along with a custom insert I had turned down from Acetal in order to marry up with the NS200 camera seamlessly.

I agree with your findings. I suppose an infrared illuminator could be added, to 'spot' longer range targets. I'm interested in getting a DSA for mine, as I think the rubber 'hose pipes are are poor design. What would it cost to get the same sort of DSA as your's?

Steve.

I agree with your findings. I suppose an infrared illuminator could be added, to 'spot' longer range targets. I'm interested in getting a DSA for mine, as I think the rubber 'hose pipes are are poor design. What would it cost to get the same sort of DSA as your's?

Steve.

Hi Steve,

my cobra merlin dsa cost £95 a lot of dollar but well worth it for the ns200 mate.

Or £85 from here. Well worth it, I have the exact measurements for the custom sleeve (not necessary but a definite improvement) if you know someone handy with a lathe.

Yes, I'll have to splash out and buy one. I did have one with my Cobra Merlin, but sold it all before I bought the NS200. I'd be grateful if you could give me the details of the custom sleeve, or the name of the person who did yours, that's if he would do another one. I'm more than happy to pay for the service.

Time to empty my money box!

Steve.

Hello Chaps.

I have been reading this thread with interest.

It is shocking that the makers are taking so long to come up with a screen diffuser if thats the correct term.

£600 kit should not need this "baler twine" approach.

Another thing I have seen no mention of is the problem of moths being attracted to the screen. Can anyone help

with that? Its bad enough when lamping normally with the ability to hold the light at arms length. It can't be

much fun having bugs crawling all over ones eyeball.

I do fancy one but,600 quids- kinnel.

Bryan.

I think your right, though if anyone has one your quite welcome to try it out on my permissions as long as I can see it

same goes here, i`ll buy one with a discount for holding a show evening on one of my permissions, even me with my limited marketing sense can see they would easily get their money back and more, i at least 15 people i shoot with including land owners who are interested.

Hello Chaps.

It is shocking that the makers are taking so long to come up with a screen diffuser if thats the correct term.

Another thing I have seen no mention of is the problem of moths being attracted to the screen. Can anyone help

with that? Its bad enough when lamping normally with the ability to hold the light at arms length. It can't be

Bryan.

£600 is cheap for a middle range NV. You wont get much for less apart from diy jobs.

Cheap, my ****,

Then you have to buy the dsa and fix filter gel to the screen.

£600 will buy 2 42" lcd tvs OR 1 tv 1 camera and 1 dvd player. Not forgetting the rifle scope already bought.

I'm sorry but,if you pay that sort of dosh that is not good enough.

Bryan.

Cheap, my ****,

£600 will buy 2 42" lcd tvs OR 1 tv 1 camera and 1 dvd player. Not forgetting the rifle scope already bought.

Bryan.

You will struggle to shoot with 2 42" lcd tvs OR 1 tv 1 camera and 1 dvd player mounted on your rifle :lol: compare this to gen 3 nv like my archer and you are paying £2000+. :yes:

Cheap, my ****,

Bryan.

Supply and demand, mass production etc: How many million 42" LCD's will be sold to one NS200? UK is nothing near a major market for shooting products. :)

Hello Chaps.

Bryan.

i haggled a bit with the gun shop owner for my ns200 and got it for a good deal less than £600.

I will be glad when a proper clip on filter is available but my stop gap solution was only a couple of quid so im not complaining. :good:

??? nothing anywhere near Kent, i say again need to get their bums in gear. :P

Everyone knows all the money is down here. :D

EDIT:- I have spoken with the company a few seconds ago, the lady is getting a chap called Jake to call me about the possibility of getting a demo done in KENT, she thinks that if 20-25 people are interested that is enough to generate a demo down here, once he gets out of his meeting this afternoon and calls me i will post the result of the conversation.

Edited by CZ550Kevlar

Got a message back from Jake as promised (always a good sign), apparently they have more events planned but haven`t updated the website and said to keep an eye on it and hopefully one will be close, if there isn`t one suitable and there are enough of us then they will possibly look at organizing one, i will however give him a call today anyway as i`m impatient ad ask what he has planned in Kent.