Nitesite NS200 any good

bunnybasher84

Steve,

Thanks for the PM headsup.

The glare must surely be reflected IR light entering the scope.

It can only be reflected by the moderator - the truck or whatever you were using as a base to shoot from - Or the near foreground.

These can all be elliminated in your next test.

1. Remove mod.

2. Hang right out infront of your support.

3. Try it over the side of a building where there is no close foreground.

With the trouble that I have had with my T8 Mod and a scope mounted Clueson Inerceptor light I suspect that. Results were the same - if magnification turned down it was OK. Problem solved by making a ring for objective lense with bottom third of circle covered by tape. It obviously cuts down the total light entering scope but elliminates the glare - Makes it usable to 250 yards.

I have been doing some research with a cheap NV monocular and a fixed, large, IR lamp. Glare was just as bad as I had experienced with visual light.

Your thoughts...

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The T8 moderator on my rifle has a neoprene sleeve fitted to it. When used with a lamp mounted scope, there was never any problem with reflected light. I also know it's not from the scope housing either.I will try it again soon, and this time,I going to hold the monitor off the scope, and see what that looks like. It's a pity that I'm having this problem, because I can't use the IR output on full, if I want to increase the magnification on my scope. Apart from this, I'm very pleased with it. I've sent an email to NiteSite,explaining the problem I'm having. Maybe they will come up with an answer.

Steve.

I also purchased a neoprene cover for my T8 - From Bushware. It made no difference whatsoever to visual light reflection. (Still got it fitted as it does protect from knocks).

Only thing that sorted the problem was the piece of insulation tape blocking off the lower third of the objective lense.

Ref NV200 - Your idea of trying system with monitor dismounted should provide the answers. As I understand it the IR lamp is part of the monitor?

To get full potential one must be able to use full IR and full magnification.

Whenever possible I use the large IR/visual light lamp that is fixed to the shooting rail of the truck and that means I can move the rifle away from the light scource. Should work with the NV200 system.

Yes, the IR unit is built into the monitor. When out next, I'll take the moderator off the rifle, just to see what effect it will have on reflected light.

I'll also experiment with blocking part of the scope to see if this will help. I have a lens cap that is clear,so I can put some black tape on the lower part, and just clip it onto the scope.

Watch this space!

Been using the NS200 since last october combined with a Simmoms wtc 6-20x50 and been fine with the mag from 6to 20 with no glare,problem might be the dsa,the rubber does the job,but worth investing or making a new one,which i"ve done.With a little patience you find a sweet spot from the camera lens to the back of the occular which suits all mag settings,in my case was probably nearly an inch longer than the one supplied,worth a try...

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know if anyone can answer this. With the NS200 I have to turn magnification up max and range on scope down to 25m just to get a good picture other wise the screen is just white and tbh the furthest i can see a rabbit at it about 90yrds and thats just the eyes, I cant make out the body. Apart from that a good bit of kit. And ideas?

Dont know if anyone can answer this. With the NS200 I have to turn magnification up max and range on scope down to 25m just to get a good picture other wise the screen is just white and tbh the furthest i can see a rabbit at it about 90yrds and thats just the eyes, I cant make out the body. Apart from that a good bit of kit. And ideas?

I get 'whiteout' on the monitor, if I use full magnification on the scope, and full IR power. If I turn the mag' down to around 8, instead of 12, then the white on the screen disappears. But, I want full mag' on my scope to be able to pinpoint the crosshairs. I recently shot a rabbit at approx 132 yards. The scope was on 8 mag' and full IR power. I could see the rabbit but was unable to get a head shot. I was using my 22-250.

I've yet to experience any white-out doing anything other than laying prone. Even then it's only the immediate foreground reflecting the IR light, the unit is still useable out at range.

Sorry I cannot offer any advice, have you tried contacting the manufacturers to ask their help?

Edited by mick miller

I get 'whiteout' on the monitor, if I use full magnification on the scope, and full IR power. If I turn the mag' down to around 8, instead of 12, then the white on the screen disappears. But, I want full mag' on my scope to be able to pinpoint the crosshairs. I recently shot a rabbit at approx 132 yards. The scope was on 8 mag' and full IR power. I could see the rabbit but was unable to get a head shot. I was using my 22-250.

Steve_b_wales, did you ever try it with the sound moderator off like we were discussing several posts ago?

Or off the gun all-together - On a handheld scope?

Steve_b_wales, did you ever try it with the sound moderator off like we were discussing several posts ago?

Or off the gun all-together - On a handheld scope?

Hi mate. No,not yet. I've been doing a bank of night shifts and have'nt had chance. I do intend trying the NS with a hand held scope as you suggested. I hope that I can get this issue sorted, as this is the only thing that I don't like with my kit.

I'm also going to try the NS on a different scope, which is on my 17HMR.

Steve.

Well, after trying a dry run with the NS200, I have now proved that the white glare has to be coming from reflected IR light, when hitting grass etc. Looking through the NS, everything is fine, except when there is a small bank or hill. If the IR is on full, and the scope's mag is high, then I get the whiteout.

So, all in all, I'm very pleased with the NV, and hope to put it to good use soon. I'm also contemplating getting a small recorder to film it when in use.

Steve.

Ah yes, you live in bumpyland. Here in leafy Hertfordshire its generally pretty flat. Do you really need the last IR setting? I find that the one from last is normally more than enough unless I'm looking at objects over 140 yards away. What scope are you using with it Steve as some of the more high end scopes don't tend to perform as well with a NV add-on?

I think there is something going on with your exit pupil which affects how much light gets onto the ccd sensor.

As the scope mag is increased it's exit pupil gets smaller and less tolerant about eye relief distance. AFAIK, the lens of the camera should be at the same position as your eye would be if you were shooting as normal. Some of the light may be spilling over the ccd if you have it on low mag, and not filling it on high mag. There will be an optimum point where your scope exit pupil size matches the size of the camera lens.

I think some people locate the camera to get a bigger 'picture on their screen rather than at the proper eye relief position. Another (NV) forum had a thread from NS inviting comments and feedback: I suggested a longer/higher mag lens version was made available and feel people who shoot longer ranges only should have the option of using a larger lens without voiding their warranty.

Just got one of these 2nd hand and at the moment I'm not that impressed as I still use a lamp to spot with and then switch to the NS200. After I've taken what seems a dodgy shot I'm night blind as the screen has done my own night vision in. I'm going to play around with it a little more and if I can't get on with it I will probably get back what I paid for it.

They are a marmite add-on, also try using a colored acetate or some 20% window tint to lessen the glare. Spot on low mag and then zoom to shoot.

This week I've shot over 40 rabbits with this unit at ranges up to 115 yards with the hmr.

Don't forget that there are some seriously good tweaks that can be made which improve the cameras stability and allow for a stock mounted battery.

Your scope choice matters too, a non PA scope won't maximize the potential from the unit.

Ah yes, you live in bumpyland. Here in leafy Hertfordshire its generally pretty flat. Do you really need the last IR setting? I find that the one from last is normally more than enough unless I'm looking at objects over 140 yards away. What scope are you using with it Steve as some of the more high end scopes don't tend to perform as well with a NV add-on?

Hi Mick. 'Bumpyland' is right mate :) We do have flat fields though, but where I want to shoot the rabbits is not that flat. I agree with the IR setting,the highest setting is too much at short range. When I was looking through the monitor,and the IR was on full,as I viewed closer objects, it was too much. Turning the IR down one click did the job.

The scope on my 17HMR is a Hawk Endurance 3-12x56, so not too expensive. On my 22-250 (which will be my foxing rifle with NV) I have a Kahles scope, which is far better quality. I'm not intending to change any of my scopes, I've been down that road before.

I'm glad that I've sorted the white glare out though. I need to get a DSA now.

Steve.