1st Trout 2012

Spaniel

Well this is my 1st Trout after joining a local club the other week.

Some really great guys gave me some tuition today and after about 4 hours of casting, and catching the ground behind and also the fence a few times i was actually managing to get the line straight out in front.

I moved down to the shallow end of the lake and on my 2nd cast the line went out nicely and i started to slowly pull the line in when this beauty took the fly.

It did leep out of the water 3 times but i was determined to get it in and after a good little fight i netted this one.

Within 2 hours it was in the net,in the pan and then in my belly

I am aching like mad but really pleases i got a result on my first day

SAM_2112.jpg

As has been said, nice conditioned fish well done.

You have probably been told this already, but if you are aching after fly fishing you are almost certainly putting too much effort into it.

As Swiss Tony would have said flycasting is like making love to a beautiful woman slow down a bit and push it less you will find you can cast just as far.

As has been said, nice conditioned fish well done.

You have probably been told this already, but if you are aching after fly fishing you are almost certainly putting too much effort into it.

As Swiss Tony would have said flycasting is like making love to a beautiful woman slow down a bit and push it less you will find you can cast just as far.

thats rites how you doinggggg :D

Congratulations, thats a nice fish and I agree with all the other advice you have been given. :good:

One tip I would give you, always fish the water nearest you first, before casting out into the distance.

Firstly, that is where the fish often lie and casting over them could spook them and secondly, the gentler movements give your arm and shoulder time to loosen up, which helps the aches.

Thanks Guys

went out again today for my 2nd trip on the same lake.

I used the same fly as last weekend gold head hares ear, but nothing was really happening.

One of the guys gave me a gold head damsel fly with a fleck of blue in it.

I started with a figure of eight and then a sharp pull and on my second pull, i saw this trout to my left, move in for the kill like a torpedo...."FISH ON".....a bit of playing and i landed my 2nd Rainbow same condition and size as last weekend, now sitting in the fridge for tomorrows tea...

Never got any other bites after that but i was well happy..

I slowed the casting down as suggested and i am getting a better feel for it now and the line is going out better, without to much effort being put into it, so thanks for all the tips..its working.

I popped down to veals and purchased a few of these flys ready for next weekends excitement

Now the Wife as gone from a shooting widow back to a fishing widow again :lol:

I used the same fly as last weekend gold head hares ear, but nothing was really happening.

One of the first things you will learn is what worked last time won't necessarly work this time, we all do it.

There is a spot on a river I fished 3 or 4 years ago that gave me the best evenings fishing of my life.

I go back evey year to the same spot, with the same fly, under exactly the same conditions, and have never even had a rise there :(

I bet by the time i get out next weekend with my new blue damsal flys, they wont be interested in them..... :lol:

But i did see a few coming to the surface,yesterday which was interesting to watch..

I have plenty of various coloures nymps and buzzers etc, so will see what happens

But I think first of all on Friday im going to have a crack at trotting for graylin on a stretch of river via the club

Cheers

nice to hear your enjoying your first fly flishing adventures i love my fly fishing, plenty of good advice been given here theres no strength involved in casting its all timing :good:

as a word of warning buying flies can get as adictive as catching fish :lol: