A few Norfolk mackerel

Whitebridges

Went out over the Blakeney bar yesterday with my mate and we had 16 mackerel in a couple of hours. They were all between a pound and a pound and a half. Had some for tea last night and they tasted delicious. The others are now in the smoker.

Heres a couple of pics inc, one of the Blakeney Bell buoy. Very flash with all it's weather gizmo's.

Blakeney06_mack4.jpg

Blakeney_06mack1.jpg

Good luck with it henryd. They are a really fine eating fish when fresh. I'll be out there again soon weather permitting. We had a go for a few sandeel but no joy. Drifting live sandeel for bass has to be one of my favourite fishing methods.

Last time I ate sushi was in a Japanese restaurant in Toronto. Mackerel looks the right type of fish but i haven't tried it. Maybe next time. :lol:

Has anyone tried it as sushi :drinks:

Not really sushi but had it as cerveche (sp??) a few times. The other half marinates it in a lemon or lime based juice and it "cooks" in the fridge. Lovely.

Piebob

Ahhh, I was trying to think of what that was, I am sure Rick Stein was serving that up on the telly the other day :drinks:

WB

I know the bar at Blakeney, have had a drop for joeys myself but went to early, give me a pm if you go again and I can try to join you in my boat (whilst I still have it) how did you get on with the tide? I take it you put in at Morston?

cheers pavman

WB

I know the bar at Blakeney, have had a drop for joeys myself but went to early, give me a pm if you go again and I can try to join you in my boat (whilst I still have it) how did you get on with the tide? I take it you put in at Morston?

cheers pavman

Hi Pavman, been once since this post. It was a 5 o'clock tide and it was too bright we didn't catch.I seem to do better on early morning and late evening tides and we start to get them this weekend through the week. It helps to go out on the bigger tides as there this more water in the pit and it gives you more fishing time. We try and do the odd double tider (out on the last of the first flood and in on the first of the last flood) which means you get about 8 hours fishing. Great when the bass are about. We sometimes put in at Blakeney but it's usually Morston as it's quicker to get to sea from there. Most of our family live in the area and the shooting is great as you probably know. I'll let you know when we are going and I hope you can join us. It might be very short notice as the weather has to be right.