TrailCam - Test run

huffhuff

Finally went a bought a trailcam (on eBay - seems good quality so far). Popped it up in the woods last night and got these fellas on camera ;)

I need to fiddle with the settings though. I want a shorter delay between shots and i'll try video tonight (these were 5 mega pixel stills although it does go up to 12MP).

bunny.jpg

badger.jpg

top stuff, looks like a good investment. would you mind saying how much it cost?

Not at all. It was £114 (including P&P) and arrived the next day. I will put the spec below and if you want a direct link to eBay, feel free to PM me. It was a UK based seller and arrived the next day - very impressed.

I looked at the Bushnell units when at Newark last weekend. The Bushnell's are clearly more 'robust' but you have to appreciate that this is a cheapish China clone jobby. It feels sturdy enough and seems to be reasonable watertight (I wouldn't want to drop it in a bucket though).

acorn_camera3.jpg

•  
    A compact scouting camera in a camouflaged case with some pretty amazing features:
  • 6 month battery life
  • a sensor and invisible (blue LEDs) IR night vision range of 65ft
  • programmable 5 or 12 Mega Pixel, DVD quality video (640x480)
  • time stamp
  • security code
  • high quality photos
  • video
  • time lapse option
  • temperature, moon phase, unique triple sensor - primes the camera to give a 1second trigger
  • a large LCD for picture and video playback.
  • We supply the latest version with 12MP interpolation and many additional features (password, full TFT and 12MP) - a UK first!
  • Sharp and crisp colour pictures/videos in daytime and clear black/white pictures/videos at night
  • Take videos immediately after taking pictures under the same Mode "Cam+Video"
  • Built-in 2 1⁄4” LCD color display
  • Ultra low standby power consumption. Extremely long in-field life (in standby mode, up to 3 months with 4 x AA batteries and 6 months with 8 x AA batteries)
  • Unique side Prep Sensor design provides wider sensing angle and enhances camera’s response speed Perform in the most extreme temperatures from -22°F to 158°F Compact size (5 ½ x 3 ½ x 2 ½ inches).

Edited by huffhuff

they do look a handy bit of kit nice to see whats mooching around

Yep. It's good for picking up quarry habits. For example, that badger (or maybe another) came sniffing around almost every 3 hours on the dot!

I have another wood with a deer trail running through it so it's going in there this weekend.

I know Twitchynik has one and has seen some good results with it on various fox traps.

I've also just bought one for work. We have a remote barn that gets regularly broken in to. I'm going to set one up high and see who we can catch :)

Edited by huffhuff

Agreed, good cams for the money. I'll stick up some videos of stuff I've seen with the one I use. Interesting to see you've got temperature on yours, maybe it's has been updated?

Yep, it seem accurate too. Well, in so much that the afternoon shots are warmer than the early morning shots. Does yours have the moon phase too?

Are the invisible LEDs really invisible?

If you set it off at night can you see the flash?

There's no flash per se. They LED emit a dull blue colour. I've not actually looked properly at night. It's worth pointing out, the LEDs only come on once the PIR has been triggered and the camera is recording.

So far, the animals don't seem bothered by it.

Bushnell do a version which is completely invisible and displays no visible LED or flash (but it's £300)

Bushnell do a version which is completely invisible and displays no visible LED or flash (but it's £300)