TARGETS

:lol: i want to hear of what you shoot at for practice, 5-pence piece at 20 yards? tic-tacs at 35 yards? shoot the flame off a candle without damaging the rest at 35 yards? matches (end-on) at 25 yards? (we do these all the time at our club. don't worry, we're all perfectly nuts :lol: ). any other interesting targets welcome... :lol:

Extra strong mints........................AT RANGE.....................

Shooting anyting at 30yds is boring................too easy....if you want to improve your skill then go for anything 2p size at 50yds plus............

Tis the only way you can improve your skills in my oppinion.

.22 rimfire blanks pressed into a large pre drilled hardwood block.... bout 20 holes drilled in it so the blanks are a firm push fit....

Set out at 35 yards... challenging target and a satisfying 'crack' when you do get one...

(I additially angle the block slightly so nothing comes back my way... unlikely over 35 yards... but just to be sure it's safe)

Tony

I tried a 5pence piece. it worked fine, until the 5pence came flying back at me and landed next to me. was funny as hell at the time tho :blink: . Otherwise I use a mixture of printed cards, spinners and a 4 popup metal box thing where u shoot the four down then shoot the middle and they pop back up. Good stuff! All to set the aim for the real targets.....!

McDonalds wooden coffee paddle stirring stick things. Marked with a pen into 5 sections and placed in the ground out at varying ranges. Race to take the top, then next down and so on, splitting the stick down. Someone on the binocs and if you take one below the line you were going for you are out.

Best so far for 5 sections is 6 shots out at 45 yards. Where we did this there is very little wind, very challenging. (air arms s410tdr with airarms field pellets)

Guest jonrms
Extra strong mints........................AT RANGE.....................

Shooting anyting at 30yds is boring................too easy....if you want to improve your skill then go for anything 2p size at 50yds plus............

Tis the only way you can improve your skills in my oppinion.

Thats not challenging....... we do that at 100 yards... and smaller objects... thats what competition does for you.. lol.

but the strangest thing i have shot (note not to be tried at home!!!!!) was try hitting the end of a CO2 cannister at 30 /25 yards away...... only to puncture the small pea size end ....... as i said dont try this at home... we did it in a field and it took about 30 shots before it hit... then flew off like a rocket.

:lol: we sometimes shoot at blanks (the type used for nailguns) pressed into a plank of wood at varying ranges, they go off with a satisfying crack when hit. we also used to shoot at shotgun cartridges & yacht-race starter cartridges (emptied of any shot & mounted in a metal frame), these were VERY satisfying to shoot (we were at a different range at the time & had access to a fan-ventilated 100+ yard range) :good::lol:

Many years ago with my first BSA Airsporter and some cheap 4x40 scope I was shooting paper targets at either 25 or 30 yards, I could get a 2p group no problem, through the scope I could see some black thing moving around on the red white and blue target card but the optics wernt good enough to see what, it settled in one spot long enough for me to take the shot. The black fuzzy thing disappeared so I walked up to the card to find a dung fly splat over it! :lol:

I shoot all sorts out of boredom, used to shoot the plastic clothes pegs off my line until I got short of them! went through a stage of dead heading my mothers flowers end of last summer from the bedroom window, and this summer I have a test shot out the window at butter cups before going hunting, just about to have a go at cotton buds! :good: I really need to find more things to do with my time! :good:

If I had an extra strong mint though I think I'd eat it! :good:

Garden gnomes for comical value. or my fave is to get a shoebox, filled with old mags. drive a long screw into it so that it will support itself, then shoot at the scews head until you drive it all the way in. Once perfected you'll wonder why you ever bothered with screwdrivers in the first place!

At the bottom of my garden my mum put up a meerkat set of ornaments made from china. I accidentally put a hole in the top of one with a predator pell, it made a small impact hole on the entry point at the top of its forehead and then broke the back off. She wasnt a happy bunny :good: but it was funny at the time.

I remounted the scope on my 410 last night and set about zeroing it in again. After getting it dialled in I potted a few early drop apples that I'd lined up and was wondering what to shoot at next when a fly landed near the top of the 1" MDF I use as a backdrop to the pellet trap, doubtless attracted by the fine spray of exploded apple all over the place. Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, half out... hold....."plink!" no more fly. Not bad from 30m! Just one leg stuck to the mdf as evidence of his passing, poor fly.

Now I know why I got a 24x zoom.......... :good:

• 3 years later...