Running off

rab3210

“A finished dog should "stop" within all audible ranges” is this a change of heart

The point I am trying to make is:

At what point do you think the sit becomes a stop.

10 yards, 20 yards, 40yards, 80 yards The stop at distance is the same as stop up close, it is the same command.

The only difference is that as the dogs training advances we allow the dog to stand and look at us waiting for a command rather than sit.

That is why in my first post I said take the dog back to basics stopping up close and enforcing the stop, then slowly working the dog until it will stop at distance.

Its getting a little wooly now, i have put forwards my view.1. sit and stop are different things to a dog 2. there is an upper limit on it and 3. the most important command is recall a dog without recall cannot even be trained to stop at distance as you will only get it back on the spot by chasing it down, putting it on a lead and taking it back there while out of breath :lol:

“A finished dog should "stop" within all audible ranges” is this a change of heart

The point I am trying to make is:

At what point do you think the sit becomes a stop.

10 yards, 20 yards, 40yards, 80 yards The stop at distance is the same as stop up close, it is the same command.

The only difference is that as the dogs training advances we allow the dog to stand and look at us waiting for a command rather than sit.

That is why in my first post I said take the dog back to basics stopping up close and enforcing the stop, then slowly working the dog until it will stop at distance.

Perhaps less than 10yds, never set a distance. anyone who wants to test this get a dog that will sit well but never been trained on stop and try. The range it sits without walking towards you and sitting is that dogs range were the command changes. I bet its different for each of say ten dogs.

Perhaps less than 10yds, never set a distance. anyone who wants to test this get a dog that will sit well but never been trained on stop and try. The range it sits without walking towards you and sitting is that dogs range were the command changes. I bet its different for each of say ten dogs.

Sorry you are contradicting your self all the time.

Enough of this

Your not even making sense with this one

Sorry you are contradicting your self all the time.

Enough of this

Your not even making sense with this one

I dont see how - you have a different meaning for the word "contradiction" :hmm:

I think i get it you think i dont believe in the "stop" your dead wrong i have trained it in all my dogs including running dogs. I stated many decent everyday shooters dogs don't or won't stop reliably. that dont read my own

Edited by kent

Stop means just that STOP, don`t do anything until I give you a command. Sit and stay are irrelevant if I have told you to stop you sit and stay until commanded otherwise.

To me stop is the most important command, if the dog will stop on the whistle all other commands come from that.

Bill

Agree :good: