concealer hide

jcf1

Not normally one to fall for the lure of pop-up hides, but this one looked better than most:

concealer_3_camo_pop_up_hide.

Anyone ever used one of these? Got a pretty good write up in sporting gun (for what that's worth <_< )

Would appreciate any feedback from someone who has actually seen or used one, personally I don't generally rate pop-ups as they tend to promise so much and deliver so little!

Edited by Cranfield
eBay and weblinks removed.

Cranfield - have to ask, why did you remove the weblink? No-one will have a clue what hide I am talking about unless they see the thing.

Anyway - in the meantime, if you google riverside outdoor concealer hide then you'll find it. I'm not advertising the thing - just want to know if its **** or not before I spend any money. Seems a bit pointless to have an equipment section if we can only link to equipment sold by the site sponsors.... :no:

Edit: just read this in the house rules which I guess answers my question (sadly): "Members are not permitted to post links to sites and facilities that compete directly with our Advertisers."

Edited by jcf1

Cranfield - have to ask, why did you remove the weblink? No-one will have a clue what hide I am talking about unless they see the thing.

Anyway - in the meantime, if you google riverside outdoor concealer hide then you'll find it. I'm not advertising the thing - just want to know if its **** or not before I spend any money. Seems a bit pointless to have an equipment section if we can only link to equipment sold by the site sponsors.... :no:

Edit: just read this in the house rules which I guess answers my question (sadly): "Members are not permitted to post links to sites and facilities that compete directly with our Advertisers."

now go and hang your head in shame. :D

I saw it on the link before it was eradicated , not a piece of kit I would think about buying , as said earlier poles , stealth net and a fishing brolley at hand and you have a most versatile set up.

Much of where many of us set up is on ditch edges (is for me anyways) which invairiably have a slope to them one way or another, poles are much better to compensate for uneven ground , a fixed or semi fixed frame may be quicker to pop up but then without wanting a hide netting sandwich on a heavy slope has to be jiggled around to some sort of level.

Setting one up in the bottom of a narrow ditch, tucking into a hedge can be ruled out due to its assembled size.

Nets and poles for me. And I agree removeing the link has made this thread meaningless.

Just a note to mods , removeing a link such as on this thread per rules can also remove the possibility of showing PW advertisers as haveing the more desirable equipment for sale than the link leads to, As maybe my reply may indicate regarding my views on the link item . Its a double edged sword, plenty of other suppliers out there easily found, but they dont offer UK SW discount,Backup, reputation and Pigeon watch thumbs up . My 10 pence worth.

Edited by deny essex

Thanks for the replies. I have the usual hide poles, stealth net, camo net etc so can set up something pretty versatile. However, I hate dragging all that out for a few hours shooting. I also like the idea of a 20 second setup. I know this won't be any good for ditches/awkward corners, but apparently it is modular and you can move each panel, so should be fine for most of my rape fields. I dunno, probably regret it, but I think I'll give it a punt and stick up a review. If it is useless I'll say so!!

I have had a couple of pop ups before, most don't offer the right shooting angle, or aren't durable enough. I did try a hay-house hide once (not mine) that was very impressive and the pigeons seemed to ignore perfectly, despite being fairly conspicuous. Trouble is it was very, very expensive.

Edited by jcf1

Well - mine arrived today, pretty swift service. On the face of it it is very very well put together, build quality is very impressive indeed. I expected sprung steel, but its poles on central hubs. The fabric is nice and thick, each panel can move so I could make one triangular hide, a massive square one, or a longer thin hide. Its blacked out on the inside so very low visibility looking in, but the mesh is great for looking out. Takes quite literally about 5 seconds to put up.

I need to see how it will fare in a breeze as it would be more of a kite than just a net being solid fabric. It does come with guy ropes/pegs so I'll see. My only other concern is it is quite high (1.5m) and I'm not the tallest, whereas a normal hide would have that adjustment. Seems fine in the lounge but a proper field test is needed to be sure.

As soon as I've had it out in the field and given it a proper trial I'll follow up with a review.

• 11 months later...

HI jcf1

I've been looking at getting one of these (and found this thread from last year!) and wondered what you thought of it, and whether you'd recommend one?

I currently don't have a hide at all, and saw this and thought it looked easy to put up, and also store away.

Prices look comparable to hide poles and netting, so am unsure of what to go for. One downside of this popup hide I can see is that it's non adjustable in height, any others?

Cheers

Hayden

I started with a pop up hide when I took up shooting. The idea of quick set up was what appealed, but to be honest I can set up four poles and hang a net in under a minute so how much faster does it really need to be?

After concealment the next most important factor has to be versatility, and as already said, nothing beats poles and a net.

I have and use a pop up hide as well as hide poles and net. To be quite honest the pop up that I have is great when it is raining or cold but it can restrict your shooting at high birds. I would be inclined to think carefully before investing in one. I would not buy another.

Does Ebay come under that rule? If so then some one slipped up!!!

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter