Barbed wire

Sundodger

I was out yesterday roost shooting, shot a pigeon and it dropped into a feild the dog was sent and she jump over a Barbed wire fence and managed to cut herself very badly (£400 quid later). Why do Farmers use Barbed wire fencing what did they do before Barbed wire. You hear lots of stories of dogs cuting and in some cases disemboling them selfes on barbed wire, is it really nessarary to have the feilds borded with barbed wire. :angry:

Well you DID ask.

Given that almost every farm I know which has fencing rather than stone walls between fields I'd hazard a guess that it probably IS necessary - possibly to discourage their livestock trying to push over it into their next field, or their neighbours field, or other peoples livestock eating their grass or crop. You indicate you have heard lots of examples of dog injuries in regard to barbed wire but...?

You might want to re-assess who is the real person to blame, and the height of a fence you send your obedient dog over next time. Have you thought about going up to the farmer and asking him with that scowl on your face? :)

It keeps the livestock in, simple!

Some farms don't need it, arable farms that have fences round them to keep people out of them and to keep it neat and tidy, I don't like seeing those fenced with barbed wire, bad for everything - including deer. But the livestock farms do need it.

Im really sorry that your dog has been injured, we all put so much trust in our dogs and are influenced by trials and shooting mags about jumping dogs, have never taught my dogs to jump, as i was with a friend many years ago and his dog got a back leg twizzled up in a plain strand fence, the dog made a noise that would break your heart, thankfully she was alright, and he had a leatherman with wire snips on it and released her nice and quick........i always carry a multi tool when i have dogs with me and superglue to glue cuts up and a small 1st aid kit, its in a old tobacco tin and i have never used it but its always there in the bottom of the game bag.......

Hi Guys Like most of you I did not teach my dog to jump fences and in this case there was a nice grap under the said fence. Why she decided to jump is beyond me, I hear what you also say that it is there to keep cattle in, what about electric fences does this not do the same job as barbed wire. as always there always seems to be an alternative, and an arument to boot. Anyway thanks for the replys,

Straight shooting, Fast bullits, slow birds.

Farmers don't want electric fence, it's a pain in the neck forever fetching batteries, charging swapping them over, if you have a few to do soon takes an hour out the day. And batteries are expensive and good money at scrap do you can guess who's after them. Barbed wire, is put up, job done unless it gets broke. Besides you get idiots turning the fence off, people do at my girlfriends horse field too. Ive unscrewed the switch and bolted it to the battery now as he kept getting out due to it.

I know from the farmer's perspective, on stock farms, it is a necessity. It is horrible stuff though.

I don't ever jump my dogs over it.

I had a lab cut his belly when he mis-timed a jump and landed on a top strand of barbed wire that was (thankfully) covered in pipe lagging and duct tape - and it still cut him - and I have had spaniels open themselves up on old stuff lying around and hidden in cover... that really annoys me as it is just untidy :sly: