PEGGING

tiercel

• 5 weeks later...

Hi tiercel

The old guy that showed me how to Longnet told me if you can get what your after to tread on the net you have as good as caught it.

There aint many out there that keeps the old style of hunting going.

They would rather go out with lamp and rifle to bang a van full of bunny`s over.

As for the dog it is a Hancock bred and dont belive the hype about these line of Lurcher`s.

I know quite a few lads that have worked his stock past and present and almost all show the same bad traits.

Just wondering any chance of sticking a few more picture`s up of the Longnetting you do :lol:

post-11-1061931901.jpg

Vimm ive had a hancock dog 15 years ago and will never have another.But thats my choice the dog did not suit me. The long netting i do devides into 2 catogorys dogging with nets in the day, and the more traditional night long netting. I will say i dont do it for the numbers of rabbits i catch. If i set 100 mtrs of net and have 2 rabbits im happy (there are not many rabbits around here) so its all relitive if i lived in an area thats teeming with rabbits you expect results but im verry happy if i go home with two or three buns for the hawk.I will get some photos this wk of me setting the gear single handed.

Same as me tiercel i realy enjoy my day time stop netting with the dog.

Mainly i just use a 25 yarder 6z. I also have a 20 yarder 6z and a 50 yarder which is a 4z im happy even if i catch one with the net.

There just some thing about dropping the net?? Then i get some perverted satisfaction from lifting it too :lol:

I have used the ready sett methods day and night but you cant beat the traditional way.

To be truthfull i lamp the dog alot so this cancels the night netting out but if any of the dogs get`s injured i do make a journey out with just the net.

post-11-1062010637.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 15 years later...
On 27 July 2003 at 20:50, ernyha said:

Good heavens TC, am i the only shooter on this forum with any hair? :beer:

post-11-1059335435.jpg

Bearing in mind that the photo and post was 16 years ago, I suspect like most of us, you now have little hair left :yahoo:

OB

I felt it was my duty to pass the sad news of tiercel on to my old mate vim. Only I knew that he and tiercel (Allan) good friends from way back.

Vim informed me that tiercel was a humble man and also a font of knowledge with a keen interest in falconry as well as Rabbit catching. As a mark of respect to Allan, vim asked if I could post this picture for him in an act of remembrance 16 years on from Allan`s posting..

RIP tiercel..

20190419-065352.jpg

Edited by Christian Sutton

many wont remember that ernyha has also sadly passed away (quite some time ago) , and it was back in the days when he was the only pw mod.

it was back in the days when a pw hissy fit was a very rare thing indeed , and the gentlemen of pw would treat each other with respect . if another member had a different way of doing things , many would listen and adapt their fieldsports for the better.

These articles started me making my own purse nets and one summer  in Greece I made my first 300 metre longnt ( including the bagging) and had great fun walking the fields at 3am and feeling the tugging in the net as the rabbits were caught in my own net.

These are the country crafts that are being lost as men would invent a process to feed the family, they were very clever and we owe them alot. Now days it a gimmic made in China to make a fast buck.