.22lr big enough for fox?

Sticky96

Dekers

the original poster does not yet have a FAC I would not advise a .22 rf suitable for shooting foxes in general, yes it does have its uses in the right environment and is capable of dispatching a fox however I have seen so many people shooting at a range that is unsuitable for for this caliber.

Most people who start foxing do so in open fields (with limited field craft which is not there fault we all have to learn ) where shots are going to be taken at a range unsuitable for a .22rf, .22 center fire is the way to go however most forces will not allow a centerfire on a first certificate without a mentor

Deershooter

That unfortunately is the problem with the original question, this fox and calibre malarkey has NO answer...it is simply to use the most appropriate tool for any given situation!

The law/what a region decides, obviously comes into play but I defy any region to argue the case with me that a CF is more suitable to shoot a fox with at 40ft from a clients bedroom window than a rimfire!

Answers from so many in this, and many other similar threads, making a statement that rimfire is NOT suitable or inhumane and you need a CF are ill considered! That simply shows tunnel vision, or frankly they don't have a clue and are jumping on a bandwagon trying to impress! :hmm::yes::hmm:

ATB! :good:

Edited by Dekers

I know this will get certain backs up but my experiance with the HMR over quite a heap of quarry is "unpredictability" With equal placement i don't see it offers any advantage over the .22. Though it might be far easier to achieve said placement once trajectory comes into things. Should we be stetching the ranges with either though? i think not.

In testing a new 50yds range at home i fired a single .22 sub from 50yds into the Butt structure to test it prior to adding the sand (there is a big hill directly behind it BTW) the sub ripped through 3" of solid Cedar through a 5/8" thick fence panel with a clean hole and then buried itself in the hill. so the power is certainly available- But it needs to be placed spot on the spot. I seem to remember one of the Mods? was shooting through 40mm worktop clean at more distant ranges?

This is becoming a matter of concern, I generally concur with the above.

At close range the energy from a .22lr sub or a HMR is more than adequate to stop a fox.

Accuracy at close range should not be an issue either, as long as you have the .22lr set up right, so it shouldn't make any odds really which one, I use Both, and the WMR as I consider appropriate. I have not noticed any unpredictability with a well placed 17g HMR, the brain is turned to jelly and can easily be heard slopping around, nothing unpredictable in the result there, they simply drop.

OBVIOUSLY we are talking close, as in MY knowledge of the capabilities of the calibres, I don't take out the .22lr and subs to knock down 250yard foxes fields away!

Gents in my opinion and that of the Lincolnshire Police is that .22 RF is not sutable for fox because it is inhumain .Yes it will kill foxes but not always cleanly its much better to use a .22 centerfire .I have seen foxes still running after 4 hits in the body with a .22 rimfire and thats just cruel

Deershooter

And that is why we would only advise head shots.

That unfortunately is the problem with the original question, this fox and calibre malarkey has NO answer...it is simply to use the most appropriate tool for any given situation!

The law/what a region decides, obviously comes into play but I defy any region to argue the case with me that a CF is more suitable to shoot a fox with at 40ft from a clients bedroom window than a rimfire!

Answers from so many in this, and many other similar threads, making a statement that rimfire is NOT suitable or inhumane and you need a CF are ill considered! That simply shows tunnel vision, or frankly they don't have a clue and are jumping on a bandwagon trying to impress! :hmm::yes::hmm:

ATB! :good:

I'm with you Dekers. I do wish the OP would have used thesearch though as this topic has been doen to death

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it does kill a fox (used it a few times when rabbiting and suddenly a fox came close). No, it's not ideal. If you shoot a lot of rabbits, use a 22lr (or a 22winmag if you shoot corvids as well). Never used a .17hmr but can imagine they are ace on these as well.

If you're aiming for fox go for a .224 cal (like .222, .223, .22-250).

Just to play the devil's advocate, why so many posts promoting head shots on fox when a simular thread on deer calibers almost always end up with the majority advocating heart/lung/shoulder shots? :hmm: By the way if out specifically after fox I will take a .22 centerfire to enable chest shots, but have to say I have killed plenty over the years with a .22 rimfire which I have more cofidence in than a .17HMR for fox.

I'm not really sure about the head shot comment. I boiler room plenty with my .22lr and it works fine? Just standard .22 subs, nothing fancy and no long shots.

I think the difference between head shooting a Deer and a Fox comes with field experience. If a Deer sees something it's unsure of it will often look then bluff feeding, so lots of head movement and lots of risk of it moving as the shot is taken. A Fox on the other hand generally just stares at you and then legs it, so much less chance of movement as long as you don't hang about.