I some times wonder ....

Harnser

how many people have actually shot a deer ,pigeon,fox or game bird . We seem to have many experts who all ways seem to quote advice from books and American comics or from INTERNET sites . Lots of replies to questions from members seem to be the well rehearsed and researched answers from the media and from books . How many experienced field sportsman do we have on here? I will tell you what ,I know who they are ,do you ?

/

Harnser .

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how many people have actually shot a deer ,pigeon,fox or game bird . We seem to have many experts who all ways seem to quote advice from books and American comics or from INTERNET sites . Lots of replies to questions from members seem to be the well rehearsed and researched answers from the media and from books . How many experienced field sportsman do we have on here? I will tell you what ,I know who they are ,do you ?

/

Harnser .

I suppose you could watch the pics forum and see who posts and what. But I catch your drift.

Havent shot a deer yet or a fox but will do................at some point. i was checking one of my permisions yesterday and a huge fox walked no closer than 20 yds.....typical this time i had left my gun at home :angry:

How many experienced field sportsman do we have on here? I will tell you what ,I know who they are ,do you ?

No, I don't so please do share. That way at least I'll know who to believe and who not to when I'm reading stuff on here. I wouldn't want to be mislead in anyway.

how many people have actually shot a deer ,pigeon,fox or game bird

Probably just a small fraction of the forum membership. But then, probably just a small fraction actually own any guns :lol:

How many experienced field sportsman do we have on here?

Don't know - s'pose it depends on your definition of experienced field sportsman.

I will tell you what ,I know who they are ,do you ?

No, I don't pay enough attention to what people post over time - I really can't be bothered. The only thing I ever really notice is when someone makes their 467th post saying that they now have their SGC application form and are wondering how many photos they need, who can sign, what they need to decalre, etc etc etc.

Piebob

No, I don't so please do share. That way at least I'll know who to believe and who not to when I'm reading stuff on here. I wouldn't want to be mislead in anyway.

Twitchynik , unfortunately we know live in a world where we believe in every thing that we read on the INTERNET . discernment is a gift that we can all learn and comes with experience of life and of people . The most discerned are normally of the elder generation generally mistaken by the younger generation as grumpy old men . I spent 25 years in a job that I had to suss out people in very quick time if not I would never have survived . I was very rarely wrong . I dont think that I could name the walts on here with out getting into trouble .

Maybe I am just a grumpy old man and need to sit back and clean my guns and wait for god .Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

And thats the issue isn't it? Some fool says 2+2= 14 and so long as it sounds like they know what they might be talking about the myth perpetuates itself and becomes exepted as a fact. To be fair its the same on most forums and always will be. The hard bit is comming out against the Mass who totally belive 2+2 = 14 and tell them it aint its actually 4, you then get a whole mess of numpties telling you your a fool.

As for how to spot a Walt you totally cannot unless you have been there and done that. I promise you many who have a fair old following are total blaggers

And thats the issue isn't it? Some fool says 2+2= 14 and so long as it sounds like they know what they might be talking about the myth perpetuates itself and becomes exepted as a fact. To be fair its the same on most forums and always will be. The hard bit is comming out against the Mass who totally belive 2+2 = 14 and tell them it aint its actually 4, you then get a whole mess of numpties telling you your a fool.

As for how to spot a Walt you totally cannot unless you have been there and done that. I promise you many who have a fair old following are total blaggers

Quite. The old adage of believing half of what you read and even less what your hear (or whatever) stands true for most things in life. This is a large forum with many people and many commentators. Take everything with a pinch of salt and make your own mind up.

I know you mean well Harnser but by saying you know who all the good guys are you're making yourself sound just like those you are bemoaning.

I have shot black clays - pink clays - white clays - blue clays -green clays -rabbit -battue - midi and mini but never shot anything living - Went out pigeon shooting once and missed them all and had a walk around farm with a rough shooter - saw nothing and by time we got back I had pump over my shoulder like Yanks did in Vietnam.

I will leave it to you guys

Dave :yes: :yes:

Quite. The old adage of believing half of what you read and even less what your hear (or whatever) stands true for most things in life. This is a large forum with many people and many commentators. Take everything with a pinch of salt and make your own mind up.

I know you mean well Harnser but by saying you know who all the good guys are you're making yourself sound just like those you are bemoaning.

twitchynik ,I am not bemoaning anybody on this forum and if you call the good guys the experianced shooters then I would have to agree with you . Its very easy to realise who the experianced shooters are ,by their spontaneous and balanced replies to members questions . There is nothing wrong with being a novice shooter and coming onto a forum like this one for some good solid advice we all had to start some where . What do's annoy me is the quality of the advice some times given out by some members , after all we are shooting guns in the country side not knitting sweaters for our family and friends .Beware of the pendants .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Nope, I leave the shooting of live quarry for the real experts out there, did shoot a few pigeons and rats etc about 40 years ago, when I was a callow youth, until I saw the distress of a wounded bird that I hadn't shot cleanly, and vowed not to shoot unless it was a clean kill. I have no problem with people shooting live quarry, but since coming back to shooting after all this time, I stick to clays and targets, the good thing about this forum is that all types of shooters are welcome. Likewise, I try not to comment on things outside of what I know. I fear you are right though, there seem to be a lot of walts about!

Edited by Bloke

Its an interesting one Harnser and indeed the "experts" who know everything are putting people off coming on here. In herts we are quite lucky in that we've met a fair number of members and a lot have shot together so you get ano idea who is telling porky pies and who isn't. Personally I've been game shoooting for 20 years now both partaking and beating and you meet the same sorts those who talk about it tend to mostly not do much of it.