I some times wonder ....

Harnser

I've shot rabbits, deer, pigeons, foxes, hares and a handful of fowl and woodcock over the past 25 years, pretty much in that order of frequency. Very few driven birds except on a couple of beaters days and in that department I'm a novice.

I started using this forum to get some opinion on a piece of kit and to get help with a ferret problem and so far can't say I've come across anything but useful or at least well intentioned advice and I try to contribute in kind. Its mildly addictive and easy to get caught up in the Off Topic section. But making a contribution you have to think about before you type, even if it turns out to be twaddle, is better than repeating yourself on a bar stool. Didn't know what a Walt or a Troll was till I came on here. A fantacist in the real world is pretty sad, but a virtual fantacist is truly desperate.

Personally I prefer to assume people are well meaning and genuine until I find otherwise, or you just become sour and cynical and a little bit paranoid. No one has to act on what they read on a forum after all. Free will and intelligence don't have to be traded in when you get broad band. And there is another world beyond the internet - the real one. You can always cross-reference things there.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am sure the proper shooters know who I mean . :rolleyes:

So you aren't going to name them then?

How could you claim to know who shoots and who doesn't?

What's to say there aren't people on here who shot all the time and just don't talk about it :hmm:

Sorry to be so negative but it's a fairly ridiculous thread if you think about it.

There are lots of BS around where I live, a bloke I know never shoots less than 60 pigeon EVERY time he goes out. Amazing when you think he shot 80 apparently on a field that the same day I spent an hour watching, no birds and no shots either???

Personally I have shot about 10 pheasant ,1 partridge, 50 ish rabbit with a shottie and .22LR, probably about 400 pigeons,20 crows, 4 magpie,10 squirrel. 1 fox (with a shottie) over the last 3 years, I've never had a red letter day , even though that bloke manages one either side of the day I shoot LOL

What's to say there aren't people on here who shot all the time and just don't talk about it :hmm:

Sorry to be so negative but it's a fairly ridiculous thread if you think about it.

It's OK, he's building up to it - 17 days to go!

i think i know what your getting at...i have been shooting for 30+ years and have shot most things legitimate and several things that most people would never get to shoot or want to....i don't find the need to boast ,show pictures or do big write ups to prove to anyone that i considere myself a fieldsportsman .... i will offer advice and if it's taken then fair play and if it's shot down by a dogooder or smart alec then so be it.....i did my sportsman apprenticship the old way by hanging out with the old boys carrying the gear and sitting and listening...do guys want to do it now , no they don't the world is brimming with ..all the gear and no idea blokes

having said this i know there are lots of interesting people on here and if i put those names into the pot of "there's a bloke to have a brew with"(my way of saying i find them interesting) then the numbers are pretty low

Dunkield , its a shame that you are not as diserning as I am and a moderator to boot . My main concern is the some times dangerous advice given on here that is not picked up and challenged . I will never claim to be an expert shooter ,but after 50 years in the field I would certinly claim to be an experianced shooter and quite able to sort the chaff from the wheat . I have thought about this post and as being fairly ridiculous I think you are wrong . I can only hope that any further dangerous advice given on here will be picked up by the moderators or the members .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Dunkield , its a shame that you are not as diserning as I am and a moderator to boot . My main concern is the some times dangerous advice given on here that is not picked up and challenged . I will never claim to be an expert shooter ,but after 50 years in the field I would certinly claim to be an experianced shooter and quite able to sort the chaff from the wheat . I have thought about this post and as being fairly ridiculous I think you are wrong . I can only hope that any further dangerous advice given on here will be picked up by the moderators or the members .

Harnser .

OOO... now I'm intigued.... what dangerous advice?

OOO... now I'm intigued.... what dangerous advice?

One off the top of my head , if you get a bullet stuck in the barrel of your rifle ,then just pull the bullet out of another cartridge and shoot it out . Loading rifle ammo up to the limits to get it a bit faster.

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

One off the top of my head , if you get a bullet stuck in the barrel of your rifle ,then just pull the bullet out of another cartridge and shoot it out . Loading rifle ammo up to the limits to get it a bit faster.

Harnser .

:oops:

Although, from a hunting load perspective, I don't have any issues with the second one as long as there are no signs of pressure on the cases ???

Edited by Vipa

Harnser

I have to agree with you there are all types of shooters on here, some clearly very good and knowledgeble hunters / shooters and country men , others that are somewhat confused as to just what they are ! some of the advice offered at times is enough to make me want to scream at the computer things such as tethering winged crows down for decoys spring to mind and on a softer not the 100 and one posts saying make sure your gun fits, which is good advice on the most part but I bet 99% of those giving it are doing so because it is the right thing to say rather than they themselves having had a gun altered to fit and it transforming their shooting.

Its human nature to think the way we each do things is the best way or the gun we have is the best gun ,it always makes me chuckle when someone posts something like " which beretta auto shall I buy " only to be answered by someone saying get a SX3 or a Benelli, you can bet you bottom dollar if you look at there profile the shoot such a gun and are blind to the fact that there is anything else that will even come close to them let alone better it !.

Dont know how to do links just look under the search thing . I commented on both these posts plus a few more dangerous practices .

Harnser .

Have to say, I think Harnser has a valid point and not only with regard to the safety aspect: Some answers to legal questions leave a lot to be desired (please don't mention 50ft and public footpaths).

Have to say, I think Harnser has a valid point and not only with regard to the safety aspect: Some answers to legal questions leave a lot to be desired (please don't mention 50ft and public footpaths).

50ft & public footpaths ???

Sorry couldn't resist :rolleyes:

No and we better not mention the lamping pigeons (wood not feral) or the a nice brace of pheasant this sunday posts either !!

Dunkield , its a shame that you are not as diserning as I am and a moderator to boot .

I'll assume you mean discerning? I couldn't really comment, as I don't know you.

I do know it's a common misconception that the moderators scan every new post before it makes it onto the forum, obviously (I hope) most members realise this simply isn't the case.

If anyone sees anything they think is dangerous they should flag it using the Report function.

Hopefully that makes a little more sense than writing a thread about it out, for example, 7 months later?

I'll assume you mean discerning? I couldn't really comment, as I don't know you.

I do know it's a common misconception that the moderators scan every new post before it makes it onto the forum, obviously (I hope) most members realise this simply isn't the case.

If anyone sees anything they think is dangerous they should flag it using the Report function.

Hopefully that makes a little more sense than writing a thread about it out, for example, 7 months later?

I wasn't writing a thread about bullets stuck in the barrel 7 months after it was posted . You asked me for an example of the dangerous practices posted on here and I gave you one off the top of my head . My point and the point of my frivolous thread is that unsafe advice is given to often by people who do not know what they are talking about . All I am asking is that moderators and forum members challenge any potentially dangerous advice . I know that any body can become an overnight expert in just about anything from a little research on the INTERNET .

Harnser .

I reguarly try my hand at clays, pigeons and wildfowling, i was even lucky enough to bag a roe deer on an accompanied stalk earlier this year. But i'm still very much learning each time to go out and i'm certainly no expert!

Edited by Markio

I wasn't writing a thread about bullets stuck in the barrel 7 months after it was posted . You asked me for an example of the dangerous practices posted on here and I gave you one off the top of my head . My point and the point of my frivolous thread is that unsafe advice is given to often by people who do not know what they are talking about . All I am asking is that moderators and forum members challenge any potentially dangerous advice . I know that any body can become an overnight expert in just about anything from a little research on the INTERNET .

Harnser .

If you feel strongly about something then there's always the report button which will get the mods attention quicker than the offer of a pint and a bag of pig snacks at pub :good:

Edited by twitchynik