We don`t do rioters but boy can we deal with the autistic.

CZ550Kevlar

But why did he jump in fully clothed, where were his carers or parents?? In my opinion the Police responded to whoever called them and took appropriate action, did not the person who called the Police know of the boys situation?? The whole thing stinks. :hmm:

But why did he jump in fully clothed, where were his carers or parents?? In my opinion the Police responded to whoever called them and took appropriate action, did not the person who called the Police know of the boys situation?? The whole thing stinks. :hmm:

You clearly know or understand little about autism.

I think the cock up here is that once out of the pool the lad will have been no risk to himself or the public so what the hell were the police doing cuffing/leg restraints on a lad with obvious learning difficulties? The carers must have been close enough to advise the Police of the lads condition yet they proceed to throw him in the back of the van! *** that has to be over the top? poor kid!

Hmm, so, if we assume this report is accurate, again the police were called and asked to deal with a situation that came about because someone else failed to do their job properly. They act in good faith and now they're the villains. Clearly they should have gently spoken to him as he drowned, then lifted his unconscious body from the pool. No one would fault them then - would they!!??

Hmm, so, if we assume this report is accurate, again the police were called and asked to deal with a situation that came about because someone else failed to do their job properly. They act in good faith and now they're the villains. Clearly they should have gently spoken to him as he drowned, then lifted his unconscious body from the pool. No one would fault them then - would they!!??

You mean like the case recently where a man was left face down drowning in an ornamental pond in a park because both fire and police had not been trained to risk their lives for their pay?

While on the face of it this apears calous on the part of the officers I think that there is likely to be somerthing "odd" about this case.

We know that there have been documented occurences of police being heavy handed with all sorts of people in the past, so much that taking chalky down to the cells for a good kicking he slipped and the cheif inspector letting off his masonic brothers for offences rangimng from speeding tickets to high treason are part of our "comic heritage " when we think of the police. But the reality today is that for policemen not to be squeaky clean is a career ender!

I think thats entirely unlikely that they would do this in as public a place as a swimming baths to a known "special" kid.

If the kid did not have learning difficulties there would be no story here and some of us may have even been happy that a disruptive kid was getting heavy handed policing to put them back on the straight and narrow!

A very good friend of mine has three kids, two of which have been statemented by the school as autistic but both having very minor simptoms. All three you would describe as a handful / a little bit disruptive if you met them in the street but none would you describe as special/handicaped/mentally ill. frankly i only know because i'm godfather to the boy and therefore prvy to some of their affairs- point I'm making is that its not necessarily entirely obvious that a kid has this condition. where was the parent or carer who should having been supervising the kid ?

I think this is a very gray area one of which i can safely say i wouldnt of liked to of been in the shoes of the police officers on that day either. And without any of us being there i dont think any of us should pass to much judgement !

By all means they should get any individual to a place of safety away from the pool with appropriete force if needs be but i would say the cuffs leg restaints and van cage was a step to far !

Fish him out, calm him down and get him warm and dry, but also the PC`s shouldnt put themselfs at risk of injory ! :yes:

We're all going to have our views on this but none of us have heard all the facts. However, a judge has heard all the facts. He said "Matters escalated to the point where a "wholly inappropriate" restraint of ZH, who cannot communicate by speech, took place" which pretty much sums everything up.

The fact that the Met want to waste more tax payers money apealling the case, rather than sucking up some humble pie and apologising, speaks volumes about the attitude that still prevails despite recent high-profile media stories about other mistakes. It's my opinion that many forces, and deffo the Met, have no idea on how to gauge and handle public opinion/perception.

I'm currently on a course with some people who care for the autistic and the reports of violent outbursts are quite shocking. I'm pretty sure that the facts will have been manipulated because of the lads condition and if he were a 'normal' teenager that required restraining this wouldn't use been given any coverage. Autism is not a visible condition in the way that downs syndrome is.

Obviously this wouldn't have been an issue if all people with mental health issues were forced to wear a badge, possibly even a bright coloured jumpsuit, with their condition written in large letters for all and sundry to be able to judge them.

Piebob has summed it up nicely for me :) spot one mate! one man with the facts was the judge who found in favour of the young lad! that is good enough for me to think that the Police were in the wrong on this occasion! not saying it was easy but they were wrong!

Oh and on the boating lake drowning if the daily mail are too be believed then the fire & rescue service attending did indeed handle the situation very badly by treating it as "body recovery" and not rescue BUT we dont have a judges decision on that and for that reason I aint siding with that pile of **** paper the daily mail! Knowing how stressful it can be turning up to a persons reported incident I feel for the officer in charge of that one! he sends his guys in without correct PPE and a firefighter drowns he is f999ed!! he doesnt send them in as he is satisfied the guy is already dead he gets everyone saying he could have been resuscitated due to cold water drowning (highly unlikely)! poor guy cant win and as a result our fire service which in my opinion is the best in the world, gets another kicking by a **** newspaper!

Ratman2

But why did he jump in fully clothed, where were his carers or parents?? In my opinion the Police responded to whoever called them and took appropriate action, did not the person who called the Police know of the boys situation?? The whole thing stinks.

You clearly know or understand little about autism.

Sorry, but I do have a good understanding of autism, but I think you've not understood the point I was trying to make, where/what was his supervision.

PS: How do you multi quote on here?????????????

I am inclined to agree with the title of the post.

Police stand about in the riots, can send anyone if some breaks into your house or business.

This chap was vureable member of society and an easy victim for them. Give them a harder traget and they run away. Know this because a few months ago some marines kicked in a loacl twon where i live. What police did trun up when found it was marines involed they soon legged it. And left the towns finest to sort it.

And also have expernace of this first hand at glastonbruy festival also. Trun mob hand when if they spoke to the person, one or two police would have been enough.

When you seen half the police now they give you the imperssion that they are bunch hired thugs pay for by use the tax payer.

How this situation is becoming more common these days with them.

I am concern because my little girl has gone though test at very likley to have autistium. which even rarer in girls just waiting the diagnoises. How would traet her. Trouble is copper is nevver off duty.

But the met are appelealing against the jugdement.

An ex-copper i know said that the metanlly that bread into now them is my gangs bigger than your. And how do figth pick on the little one.

Edited by dave dog